CrossFit and Lifting friends

Options
2»

Replies

• _BearNecessities_
    _BearNecessities_ Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    How many Crossfit classes - in an actual box, not your friend's garage or during a boot camp - have you been to?

I actually got a Groupon deal to try Crossfit for a month and it was in an actual "Box". I don't know what that really has to do with anything???

What does it have to do with anything?? Seriously?? Simply the fact that many people who rip Crossfit have never tried it. It's like my 2 year old daughter saying she doesn't like a new food when she hasn't even tried it.

Good for you that you tried it. Still, you remain sadly misinformed about the education/experience level of most Crossfit coaches. But good luck to you and your workouts, whatever they may be. :flowerforyou:
  • bagge72
    bagge72 Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options
    I know I might sound like one of the 'haters', but I would like to warn you.

First of all, crossfit by itself is already a big gamble with your body. The problem with crossfit comes from the fact that people are doing weighted exercises as fast as possible and do as many reps as possible. Often this is even accompanied with extremely bad technique and form (examples are kipping in basically everything and the numerous crossfit fail video's on youtube where both the professional and starting athletes are trying to get straight to snap city) because of the crossfit mindset that pushes people too far above their bodily boundaries. You might think you have a great trainer, but remember that he/she only followed a course of 2 days to get his certification.

* For example this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Hjeb1YCR3M

Now you are even doing this 5 times per week. Who told you this was even remotely OK? Even if you don't do crossfit you shouldn't train more than 3x/week as a beginner, your body needs rest to recover and if it doesn't get enough rest you might end up with ****ed up joints, rhabdomyolisis (see 'Uncle Rhabdo', mascot of crossfit).

I love when people jump on any Crossfit thread to warn us stupid Crossfitters who apparently can't read or make informed decisions on our own.

I find it laughable that you use YouTube Crossfit fail videos to back up your assertions. You clearly also have no idea how much training Crossfit coaches actually have. Yes, the certification course is one weekend, but the bar exam is only a couple of days as well. Does that mean that is all the education lawyers have?? Of course not.

As for "Uncle Rhabdo" being the mascot of Crossfit, not so much. If you push yourself too far, too fast doing ANYTHING, that can be a result. But most boxes are focused on form and safety first, weight and speed second. And if someone attends a box that DOESN'T approach things that way, they need to find a new box.

So, I'm curious about one thing, norulesjustplay. How many Crossfit workouts - at an actual Crossfit box, not in your buddy's garage - have you done?

I agree with you, I don't like crossfit, but it is completely unnecessary for somebody to warn somebody about something they are already doing, and assuming they can't make an informed decision for themselves. It doesn't matter if the OP did thank him, he is still definitely a hater, if he feels the need to post what he did, with not knowing anything about the OP, and the research she has done.

Also why would you disrespect lawyers like that? To compare those two things is ridiculous, anybody can go to a weekend crossfit certification class, and have a very good chance of getting certified no matter what experience (there wouldn't be bad coaches if this weren't true), there is a lot more that goes into taking the bar. I have seen other comparisons on here like that as well. I believe somebody use the medical boards as well, like the 8-15 years of school and hundreds of thousands of dollars these people put into there education compares to crossfit.
  • kristenlora
    Options
    Hey all, I'm new on here - also looking for some crossfit/lifting friends!

And since I'm new, haters please don't lecture at me - I've been doing this style workout since I was a teenager, I'm well versed in correct form and know how to spot a crappy coach. Oh - and I'm injury free.
  • _BearNecessities_
    Options

Also why would you disrespect lawyers like that? To compare those two things is ridiculous, anybody can go to a weekend crossfit certification class, and have a very good chance of getting certified no matter what experience (there wouldn't be bad coaches if this weren't true), there is a lot more that goes into taking the bar. I have seen other comparisons on here like that as well. I believe somebody use the medical boards as well, like the 8-15 years of school and hundreds of thousands of dollars these people put into there education compares to crossfit.

Oh good grief. I just clarified my comparison for my new friend Leadfoot. Scroll up man. Just scroll up.
  • bagge72
    Options
    How many Crossfit classes - in an actual box, not your friend's garage or during a boot camp - have you been to?

I actually got a Groupon deal to try Crossfit for a month and it was in an actual "Box". I don't know what that really has to do with anything???

What does it have to do with anything?? Seriously?? Simply the fact that many people who rip Crossfit have never tried it. It's like my 2 year old daughter saying she doesn't like a new food when she hasn't even tried it.

Good for you that you tried it. Still, you remain sadly misinformed about the education/experience level of most Crossfit coaches. But good luck to you and your workouts, whatever they may be. :flowerforyou:

You do realize he isn't ripping crossfit, just your terrible Bar exam/Crossfit certification analogy
  • bagge72
    Options

Oh good grief. I just clarified my comparison for my new friend Leadfoot. Scroll up man. Just scroll up.

You didn't clarify anything in those above post, Leadfoot was right, and outlined what it takes to get your crossfit certification, and if you think that takes the same level education as it does to pass the bar, then there is something wrong here.

Also how is it a fact that most crossfit trainers have years of training? Have you been to every single "box" in the world, and surveyed the trainers?
  • _BearNecessities_
    Options

You didn't clarify anything in those above post, Leadfoot was right, and outlined what it takes to get your crossfit certification, and if you think that takes the same level education as it does to pass the bar, then there is something wrong here.

Also how is it a fact that most crossfit trainers have years of training? Have you been to every single "box" in the world, and surveyed the trainers?

If you want to be deliberately obtuse, then you go right ahead.

I never said it takes the same level of education. I was merely pointing out that most coaches have years of training prior to their certification course, much like law students have years of education and training before the bar exam. Have I been to every single box? Of course not. But pull up the coaches on the website of any box and you will see that most (not all, but most) have backgrounds in fitness that is significantly in excess of what a Level 1 Crossfit certification requires.
  • Leadfoot_Lewis
    Leadfoot_Lewis Posts: 1,623 Member
    Options

You just asked that to bait me to see if I know what I'm talking about - which I do. So don't throw me in the ring of Crossfit haters because that's simply not the case.
    Good for you that you tried it. Still, you remain sadly misinformed about the education/experience level of most Crossfit coaches. But good luck to you and your workouts, whatever they may be.

I've been in the fitness field for several years, know a lot of people in the fitness business (even Crossfitters!!!), and I do a lot of research/reading on my own. So, I doubt I'm misinformed. :wink: Just curious as to your education, experience etc. since you played that card with me. My guess is you're just a dude that does Crossfit and therefore that makes you an authority on the subject.

As far as my workouts - I'm mostly into strength/hypertrophy training - progressive loading, etc. What limited cardio I do is simply for my cardiorespiratory health and to stay fit to instruct classes and do other things I love e.g. Bike Riding. That said, Crossfit is interesting and sure, it will get you "in shape", but it's just not something I enjoyed nor does it fit my goals, but I knew that going into it and just wanted to try it out of curiosity.
  • Leadfoot_Lewis
    Leadfoot_Lewis Posts: 1,623 Member
    Options

You do realize he isn't ripping crossfit, just your terrible Bar exam/Crossfit certification analogy

Thank you!

...and I'm not a dude! :wink:
  • bagge72
    Options

Thank you!

...and I'm not a dude! :wink:

Sorry didn't look at your profile, just read Lewis in your profile name and assumed!
  • _BearNecessities_
    Options

You just asked that to bait me to see if I know what I'm talking about - which I do. So don't throw me in the ring of Crossfit haters because that's simply not the case.
    Good for you that you tried it. Still, you remain sadly misinformed about the education/experience level of most Crossfit coaches. But good luck to you and your workouts, whatever they may be.

I've been in the fitness field for several years, know a lot of people in the fitness business (even Crossfitters!!!), and I do a lot of research/reading on my own. So, I doubt I'm misinformed. :wink: Just curious as to your education, experience etc. since you played that card with me. My guess is you're just a dude that does Crossfit and therefore that makes you an authority on the subject.

As far as my workouts - I'm mostly into strength/hypertrophy training - progressive loading, etc. What limited cardio I do is simply for my cardiorespiratory health and to stay fit to instruct classes and do other things I love e.g. Bike Riding. That said, Crossfit is interesting and sure, it will get you "in shape", but it's just not something I enjoyed nor does it fit my goals, but I knew that going into it and just wanted to try it out of curiosity.

I wasn't attempting to throw you in the ring of Crossfit haters; as you pointed out, I was trying to see if you knew what you were talking about. Good for you that you appear to.

I've never claimed to be an expert in fitness or an authority on Crossfit. I just get irritated when people assume that Crossfit coaches are a bunch of bros who took a weekend class and decided to teach beginners how to squat 400 pounds in their first week. You and I both know that isn't true. I also get irritated when people give unsolicited advice/warnings whenever they see the word Crossfit. Yes, I Crossfit. I run and I've done triathlons as well.

I am very much a casual, recreational athlete and have no certifications or education beyond what I read on my own (which isn't much) and learn from those who know more than me. You've tried to paint me as someone who claims to be an authority; I am not and have not tried to paint myself as such. But yeah, I stick up for Crossfit and the coaches because the entire community gets a bad rap. Most of the time, that bad rap comes from people who have NO clue what they are talking about.

Like I said, good luck to you. Enjoy your non-Crossfit workouts.
  • vmlabute
    vmlabute Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    Hello!!

Just started CrossFit this week and loving it! I am mainly going be going to the Olympic lifting classes once a week and am a dedicated weight lifter. Was a power lifter in High School so I'm where I'm suppose to be :)

Add me if you'd like!!
  • ucabucca
    ucabucca Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    I would love to be added I do not do cross fit at this point but am lifting hard 3-4 days a week. I love our gyms Crossfit We have awesome coaches who know there stuff. It is like everything some good some bad. Ours train and hit a lot of extra training including kinetic taping classes with me (coach skiing) and so much more on form and anatomy and sports specific.
    I do not do it because I am so sports specfic and I have too competitive personalty and tendency to overtran so at this point going alone. Hope to get it in check and try with a coach seriously monitoring me
  • Bones093070
    Options
    Hello, I would love to be added to this group. I started Crossfit about 4 months ago and have moved from 2 days a week to 3-4 times a week now. It has been great on my overall body strength, fitness, and I've met a great group of people. If you dislike it because it's Crossfit, I'll love you doubly for whatever your doing. At least we are not on the couch. Be fit, be happy, enjoy life! Add me as a friend. :smile:
  • norulesjustplay
    Options
    I've never claimed to be an expert in fitness or an authority on Crossfit. I just get irritated when people assume that Crossfit coaches are a bunch of bros who took a weekend class and decided to teach beginners how to squat 400 pounds in their first week. You and I both know that isn't true. I also get irritated when people give unsolicited advice/warnings whenever they see the word Crossfit. Yes, I Crossfit. I run and I've done triathlons as well.

The problem is that coaches don't just come from the powerlifting scene, but are usually crossfitters that want to start teaching people as well. I never assumed beginners would squat 400 pounds. I have some friends doing crossfit and tried to talk to them, they really believed that their trainer was awesome and knew everything but just from the stories they told I knew one day they are gonna snap some **** up and I can't do anything about it.

The problem isn't only bad form, but mainly the incredible amount of reps done per week. Yes, it's a great workout but it's also extremely taxing for your joints and muscles (hence why kinesio tape is almost worn as an ornament amongst crossfitters). Add in always training to faillure to the overuse trauma inducing amount of reps and you are set for snap city.

You just can't argue with the fact that the amount of videos featuring professional (and sponsored) crossfit athletes with ****ty form is insanely large, even the crossfit gyms themselves bring out videos of people in their gym trying to break their spine. The amount of people quitting crossfit because of injury is also way higher than for example powerlifting or bodybuilding.
  • dnamouse
    dnamouse Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    To get back to the OP... I lift 3-4x a week (don't do CrossFit, but I work out at home around kids and work), do 5:2/6:1 and eat high-ish protein, so feel free to add me :wink: :smile:
  • shmerek
    shmerek Posts: 963 Member
    Options
    ^^^Sigh... no it isn't http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24276294
    " Injury rates with CrossFit training are similar to that reported in the literature for sports such as Olympic weight-lifting, power-lifting and gymnastics and lower than competitive contact sports such as rugby union and rugby league"

You get idiots in every arena the dumbasses that snaps **** up in crossfit are the same dumbasses that ego lift and snap **** up. Ya crossfit culture is stupid and obnoxious but the work outs are fine and I have never once trained to failure. Sorry dude you are misinformed.

OP I lift and do crossfit feel free to add me
  • norulesjustplay
    Options
    ^^^Sigh... no it isn't http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24276294
    " Injury rates with CrossFit training are similar to that reported in the literature for sports such as Olympic weight-lifting, power-lifting and gymnastics and lower than competitive contact sports such as rugby union and rugby league"

You get idiots in every arena the dumbasses that snaps **** up in crossfit are the same dumbasses that ego lift and snap **** up. Ya crossfit culture is stupid and obnoxious but the work outs are fine and I have never once trained to failure. Sorry dude you are misinformed.

OP I lift and do crossfit feel free to add me
    Point taken.

"Demographically, male athletes tended to injure themselves more frequently than female athletes. Interestingly, females were more likely to seek help from a trainer, and therefore, this may account for their decreased injury rate. There was no significant difference in injury rate across age, which persisted in female- and male-only samples. This indicates that CrossFit is a workout program that can function safely for athletes across all represented age groups if performed in a safe environment."
  • sm1zzle
    sm1zzle Posts: 920 Member
    Options
    I know I might sound like one of the 'haters', but I would like to warn you.

First of all, crossfit by itself is already a big gamble with your body. The problem with crossfit comes from the fact that people are doing weighted exercises as fast as possible and do as many reps as possible. Often this is even accompanied with extremely bad technique and form (examples are kipping in basically everything and the numerous crossfit fail video's on youtube where both the professional and starting athletes are trying to get straight to snap city) because of the crossfit mindset that pushes people too far above their bodily boundaries. You might think you have a great trainer, but remember that he/she only followed a course of 2 days to get his certification.

* For example this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Hjeb1YCR3M

Now you are even doing this 5 times per week. Who told you this was even remotely OK? Even if you don't do crossfit you shouldn't train more than 3x/week as a beginner, your body needs rest to recover and if it doesn't get enough rest you might end up with ****ed up joints, rhabdomyolisis (see 'Uncle Rhabdo', mascot of crossfit).

This has nothing to do with why she created the thread.