What's the matter with Crossfit?

Options
dbmata
dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
http://fittish.deadspin.com/whats-the-matter-with-crossfit-1606127917

FTA -
Of the 11 subjects who dropped out of the training program, two cited time concerns with the remaining nine subjects (16% of total recruited subjects) citing overuse or injury for failing to complete the program and finish follow up testing.

This was felt to be notable. 16% is a very high rate. The tip of the iceberg maybe? Or just it is what it is and the Crossfit response is far more interesting?

Replies

• nlcs_nickyv32
    Options
    I would have nothing against crossfit if there was a type of screening before accepting any new clients. There are several problems like these crossfit "coaches" going to some seminar for a weekend and getting certified with out any real type of testing. Then they open up their own box and take no effort in coaching people to lift proper form.

The fact you are having someone new or inexperienced or maybe not even strong enough. Preforming olympic lifts and heavy lifts with no or minimal training. Kipping pull-ups.

Crossfit has some how put it into people's minds that you need to be hurting for it to be a good workout. Which is wrong, and several of those people are suffering actual injuries and think it is okay because "I'm hurting so it must have been a good workout." There is something like a 73% injury rate in crossfit.
    http://www.stack.com/2014/01/16/crossfits-injury-rates/

Don't get me wrong Crossfit can be a good workout but I would only recommend it to people who are strong enough and have had enough training before hand. My personal test to see if someone is ready for crossfit is to Bench press their own weight, Squat 1.5x their own weight, and deadlift 2x their own weight.
  • Sam_I_Am77
    Sam_I_Am77 Posts: 2,093 Member
    Options
    Objectively... CrossFit is mainstream right now because it's new and very much in the public eye, so injuries and what-not get even more attention. How many people get hurt every day in the gym with a random injury or even those that are poorly trained from an unintelligent trainer? How many trainers put their clients on poor diets that **** their metabolism? Many.

In doing research for school I've accidentally run across research indicating higher than average CF related injuries (one study reported ~52%), so there is a case to be made there. But again, how many injuries go unreported by your casual lifter? How about powerlifting, those injuries never make it to the headlines unless you specifically follow the sport. Anybody hear of Brandon Lily's injury early this year? It was brutal.

I respect CF (except for the Kip-ups) though it's not really my training preference. It gets people active and motivated to better their selves, improve their health.
    My personal test to see if someone is ready for crossfit is to Bench press their own weight, Squat 1.5x their own weight, and deadlift 2x their own weight.

That's fairly ridiculous and there's no reason a fresh person can't join a CF gym. How many trained women can bench press their bodyweight? It's a small % of CASUAL lifters looking to improve their health. Hell, most men will NEVER see a 2x bodyweight deadlift either, so that's pretty ridiculous. How many men do you see in the gym actually squat to depth with their bodyweight? A good CF gym will have a break-in period to build a base of strength and teach proper form. Teaching somebody to do a Clean or Snatch isn't rocket-science. Often instruction is approached a PVC pipe or something like that just to get the form down.

Again, CF is not how I like to train (not by a longshot); I don't even consider CF training. But there's no reason to hate on CF. There's enough information on the web for people to get educated enough on CF before they even sign a contract.
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options
    I've got no beef with cf, but this:
    In the lawsuit, all of CrossFit's neuroses emerge, as does its inner *kitten*. It's what you might call a full-body workout.

is comedy gold.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    What's the matter with Crossfit?

It doesn't really train you for anything other than the sport of crossfit. that's my primary beef

200_s.gif

It's also a bit over the top "religious"...at least the couple boxes I tried were.
  • richardheath
    richardheath Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    If you are doing a scientific study (be it on diet, exercise or a new drug) and people drop out, it is customary to try and explain why those people dropped out. For a drug, for example, the side effects might be so bad that people stop taking it, or a diet might be so unpalatable that people cannot stick to it. It isn't always possible though, as they don't always actually give reasons: they might simply stop attending the sessions.

It looks as if the authors did try to at least find out, by asking the gym owner, why those 9 dropped out:
    But in an e-mail before the lawsuit, Smith [one of the scientists] said he collected the injury information from Potterf [the gym owner]. When people didn’t return for the second test, Smith asked Potterf what happened. “(T)he gym owner went on to tell me how one participant was a wimp, one of them couldn’t stick with the program because of their knee, one because of their back, one was too fat, etc. … All of the explanations he gave to me matched up with overuse/overtraining issues, so that is the wording we used in the manuscript,” Smith wrote.

But yeah, this suing people for publishing a study that was actually supportive of Crossfit smacks me of Scientology.
  • DYELB
    DYELB Posts: 7,407 Member
    Options
    Xfit netted me this

dRufql7.gif

and this

this_norwegian_beauty_kicks_*kitten*_at_crossfit_640_09.jpg

in a google image search. What's not to love?
  • shor0814
    shor0814 Posts: 559 Member
    Options
    I would have nothing against crossfit if there was a type of screening before accepting any new clients. There are several problems like these crossfit "coaches" going to some seminar for a weekend and getting certified with out any real type of testing. Then they open up their own box and take no effort in coaching people to lift proper form.

The fact you are having someone new or inexperienced or maybe not even strong enough. Preforming olympic lifts and heavy lifts with no or minimal training. Kipping pull-ups.

Crossfit has some how put it into people's minds that you need to be hurting for it to be a good workout. Which is wrong, and several of those people are suffering actual injuries and think it is okay because "I'm hurting so it must have been a good workout." There is something like a 73% injury rate in crossfit.
    http://www.stack.com/2014/01/16/crossfits-injury-rates/

Don't get me wrong Crossfit can be a good workout but I would only recommend it to people who are strong enough and have had enough training before hand. My personal test to see if someone is ready for crossfit is to Bench press their own weight, Squat 1.5x their own weight, and deadlift 2x their own weight.

I like the idea behind Crossfit but agree with most of the above. I don't think a specific lifting capability is needed as long as they can lift the weight with good form.

I know there are great coaches who care about form but it is hard to believe that the majority are good when official Crossfit videos show terrible lifting form even in their certification class videos. It is even worse watching the garage lifting video with Dave Castro's famous deadlift where he hitches it for 25 seconds before dropping it.

It is also hard to take safety and form serious with Uncle Rhabdo and Pukey the Clown.

Crossfit the idea is great, execution, not so much. I won't do Crossfit for those reasons just as I won't do squatsb or olympic lifts after exhaustion. Others can do what they please.
  • shmerek
    shmerek Posts: 963 Member
    Options
    Do we really have to have another crossfit thread? This subject has been done to death. I don't really get the whole "it is exercise without purpose" argument. Who cares if it doesn't prepare you for a sport? It is cardio and is a great cardio workout. You don't see people making the same argument to those doing zumba or running on a treadmill or using the elliptical machines or whatever.
  • AgentOrangeJuice
    AgentOrangeJuice Posts: 1,069 Member
    Options
    there's a video of some Crossfit Zealout supposedly doing 127 pull ups in a minute. his chin never goes above the bar. it's a ridiculous thing to watch.
  • shmerek
    Options
    there's a video of some Crossfit Zealout supposedly doing 127 pull ups in a minute. his chin never goes above the bar. it's a ridiculous thing to watch.
    http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x20ksfx_how-dumbasses-do-pullups_fun
  • shmerek
    Options

I know there are great coaches who care about form but it is hard to believe that the majority are good when official Crossfit videos show terrible lifting form even in their certification class videos. It is even worse watching the garage lifting video with Dave Castro's famous deadlift where he hitches it for 25 seconds before dropping it.
    Painful to watch on so many levels

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x20s29v_crossfit-how-not-to-lift-weights-2_fun

and for the record I do crossfit type workouts but this **** is just horrible

As per the rate of injury runners don't fair much better http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/3578639
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options

Wow. The vo was unnecessarily catty, but WTF was that?
  • shmerek
    Options

That is his shtick
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options

That is his shtick

I got that with the second video. It's ok when he's talking about the lifts, but when people talk about what another person looks like, it's just...ugh.
  • shmerek
    Options

I got that with the second video. It's ok when he's talking about the lifts, but when people talk about what another person looks like, it's just...ugh.
    Yup, I couldn't find the original video otherwise I would have just posted it. As a white person I have to say I cracked up at his "white people" music joke
  • BlueBombers
    BlueBombers Posts: 4,065 Member
    Options
    Never tried it so I couldn't tell you.
  • jmt08c
    jmt08c Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    Comparing crossfit injuries to regular weight room or exercise injuries is like comparing apples to oranges. Crossfit "boxes" have trainers that you pay for and should provide proper instruction and workouts. If you are lifting on your own and hurt yourself then you're a dumb*** for not asking for help and trying on your own. But paying $100+ a month I would expect elite level training whether it be for a sport or not. You pay FOR training at a box...you pay to use the equipment at a regular gym.
  • SnicciFit
    SnicciFit Posts: 967 Member
    Options
    Objectively... CrossFit is mainstream right now because it's new and very much in the public eye, so injuries and what-not get even more attention. How many people get hurt every day in the gym with a random injury or even those that are poorly trained from an unintelligent trainer? How many trainers put their clients on poor diets that **** their metabolism? Many.

In doing research for school I've accidentally run across research indicating higher than average CF related injuries (one study reported ~52%), so there is a case to be made there. But again, how many injuries go unreported by your casual lifter? How about powerlifting, those injuries never make it to the headlines unless you specifically follow the sport. Anybody hear of Brandon Lily's injury early this year? It was brutal.

I respect CF (except for the Kip-ups) though it's not really my training preference. It gets people active and motivated to better their selves, improve their health.
    My personal test to see if someone is ready for crossfit is to Bench press their own weight, Squat 1.5x their own weight, and deadlift 2x their own weight.

That's fairly ridiculous and there's no reason a fresh person can't join a CF gym. How many trained women can bench press their bodyweight? It's a small % of CASUAL lifters looking to improve their health. Hell, most men will NEVER see a 2x bodyweight deadlift either, so that's pretty ridiculous. How many men do you see in the gym actually squat to depth with their bodyweight? A good CF gym will have a break-in period to build a base of strength and teach proper form. Teaching somebody to do a Clean or Snatch isn't rocket-science. Often instruction is approached a PVC pipe or something like that just to get the form down.

Again, CF is not how I like to train (not by a longshot); I don't even consider CF training. But there's no reason to hate on CF. There's enough information on the web for people to get educated enough on CF before they even sign a contract.

I agree that that's ridiculous. When I did CF, I had never touched a barbell in my life, so I started with a piece of PVC and moved up to a 15lb empty bar, then a 22lb empty bar, then a 33... then 45... you get the picture.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    i think it depends on the box. the box i went to would never have counted any of of that guys pullups as a pullup, and i dont think any of those would have been counted during the games..
  • shmerek
    Options
    Comparing crossfit injuries to regular weight room or exercise injuries is like comparing apples to oranges. Crossfit "boxes" have trainers that you pay for and should provide proper instruction and workouts. If you are lifting on your own and hurt yourself then you're a dumb*** for not asking for help and trying on your own. But paying $100+ a month I would expect elite level training whether it be for a sport or not. You pay FOR training at a box...you pay to use the equipment at a regular gym.
    Dude even regular lifting gyms where I live are around 30 dollars a week. Plus you aren't paying for 1 on 1 instruction you are part of a class. The people that generally hurt themselves in crossfit are dumbasses for not thinking about form or lifting too heavy just like the dumbasses in the weight room. It is the same ****.

From the study

"Injury rates with CrossFit training are similar to that reported in the literature for sports such as Olympic weight-lifting, power-lifting and gymnastics and lower than competitive contact sports such as rugby union and rugby league."

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24276294

It isn't all that different.

http://www.outsideonline.com/fitness/bodywork/the-fit-list/High-Intensity-Litigation.html