Big Muscles

Options
Do you need to use Steroids/Protein to build big muscles?

Replies

• itsbasschick
    itsbasschick Posts: 1,584 Member
    Options
    you don't need steroids, but you DO need lots of protein and to work out heavy and regularly.
  • jwdieter
    jwdieter Posts: 2,582 Member
    Options
    Steroids and protein are very different.

You don't need steroids to build an impressive physique. Unless impressive means Olympia contestant.
  • waxon81
    waxon81 Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    You don't need steroids to build an impressive physique. Unless impressive means Olympia contestant.

This. It all depends on your idea of big. I know a guy who's arms are 2 inches smaller than mine but his body fat is so low they look bigger to the naked eye.

Also, don't over complicate protein. 1 gram of protein per lb of body weight will easily cover your needs.

if your starting to lift now at almost aged 60 I would have a look through google images for 'healthy 60 year olds' to see what is achievable for your age
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,841 Member
    Options
    Go to the Body Building forums or other popular lifting website forums. Make sure you have a chemical reference chart though.
  • sheedy17
    sheedy17 Posts: 128
    Options
    You don't NEED to use steroids to get big muscles... but it should would help the cause :)
  • itsbasschick
    itsbasschick Posts: 1,584 Member
    Options
    um... no. steroids can cause a wide variety of health problems including higher blood pressure, ***** tits and lots of other dangerous and non-as-dangerous stuff. steroids can help muscles recover faster from a workout, but they DON'T have the same effect on ligaments and tendons, which is why bodybuilders sometimes have a muscle detach, requiring surgery and layoff time from working out.
    You don't NEED to use steroids to get big muscles... but it should would help the cause :)
  • nlcs_nickyv32
    Options
    Big muscles come from heavy weight lifting plus a calorie surplus. More protein does not equal bigger muscles, most people who are on a bulking phase have a higher carb intake as well.

Look at the back of a protein powder and then look at a mass gainer. Protein powders are lower in carbs and calories (mine is 120 calories per scoop), while mass gainers are high in calories (something like 1200 calories per scoop) and have much more carbs.

Look at the links and take note of carbs and calories.

http://www.optimumnutrition.com/products/serious-mass-p-241.html

http://www.optimumnutrition.com/products/100-whey-gold-standard-p-201.html
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options

You don't NEED accurate information to post (as your quoted post illustrates) ... but sure as hell would help your cause.
  • mayfrayy
    mayfrayy Posts: 198 Member
    Options

You don't NEED accurate information to post (as your quoted post illustrates) ... but sure as hell would help your cause.

What do you mean? Testosterone levels in an older male is low, low dosage steroids would obviously be extremely beneficial.

this article has some general estimates of what you can do without steroids
    http://nattyornot.com/how-big-can-you-get-naturally-without-steroids/
  • mayfrayy
    Options
    um... no. steroids can cause a wide variety of health problems including higher blood pressure, ***** tits and lots of other dangerous and non-as-dangerous stuff. steroids can help muscles recover faster from a workout, but they DON'T have the same effect on ligaments and tendons, which is why bodybuilders sometimes have a muscle detach, requiring surgery and layoff time from working out.

This is a completely invalid statement.
    Caffeine also causes death, if you take an extreme amount in a short time frame.
  • elprincipito
    elprincipito Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    Many people are different. I have tried eating even 4000 cals a day with like at least 180g of protein and I never gain much muscle. My workouts are intense and I rest pretty good. My problem is my stress which I presume makes cortisol which doesn't let me grow much muscle.I always stay around the leanish but muscular look. Also a lot of the huge dudes you see are on the roids. No matter what they say.
  • mayfrayy
    Options
    Also a lot of the huge dudes you see are on the roids. No matter what they say.

this is the truth, everyone should know this.
    but you can still get plenty big and strong without roids, just not magazine big.