• rockabyesarojane
    Options
    We're kindred spirits! :bigsmile:

I solved the wine issue by drinking Vodka some nights. :wink:

HAHA!
    BRILLIANT!
  • qtrhrsewoman
    Options
    I like sweet wine and my sugars are the issue right now. I have one open bottle and one full bottle of wine in my house right now. I like it while I'm making dinner (I had no idea there were other people out there like me). Since getting serious 7 days ago, I've not had one single glass. Every night I open the fridge and see that bottle in there and think about "just one glass". That's really all I ever drank anyway. I've decided to save it up as a twice a week treat. So, that's 2 glasses a week. I'm going to watch myself the rest of the day and put a little more into my workouts. I may try the seltzer idea and see how it tastes with the brand I like.
  • ediegram
    Options
    This is my kinda thread. I have fallen into the habit of daily wine or vodka/diet sprite to chillax after work. It's a hard habit to break!
  • bekdavis
    bekdavis Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    same boat here. I have simply decided that I would put in the extra exercise miles to justify my wine. I love my wine too much after a long day. I treat myself with a bubble bath and my wine -- daily!
  • hannahncakes
    Options
    I'm the same :(
    I've tried non alcoholic wine but it tastes NOTHING like it. Just tastes like grape juice. ick.
    So I try just to limit it & allow calories for it. Fingers crossed my cravings wont get too bad.
  • AmberElaine84
    AmberElaine84 Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    I try to limit my wine to just a glass or two on the weekends. When I give in and have a glass during the week, I try to stick to Riunite Lambrusco. It's a lot cheaper than what I normally drink, and it only has 97 calories, and that is worth it giving something else up! If it means I don't have a piece of bread like I normally would or something sweet that I might treat myself too, so be it! But I personally don't see anything wrong with having a glass a night if you're not going over on calories and you are drinking all of your water, too!! :drinker:
  • darrenw74
    darrenw74 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Me too.. gave up trying to give it up. :laugh:
    I just make sure I count it in my calorie alottment for the day and also make sure I get exercise calories in.

I don't believe in total depravation. My personal experience is that eliminating everything sets me up for guaranteed failure. I think as long as you plan for it with your meals and exercise and stay under your calorie count, it's not a bad thing.

These were my thoughts exactly. Everything in moderation, but depriving yourself completely of something you enjoy is less of a lifestyle change and more of a self-inflicted punishment and recipe for a binge.
  • bluemartini6
    Options
    Love wine and martinis...thought my weight loss goals eliminated my loves, but instead I've decided moderation. Budget the calories, poor smaller glasses than usual (3-4 oz) - be sure to take time, swirl smell & treasure each sip! And I limit it to 2-3 drinks a week. I hate working out, but if it means I can eat more, I'm suddenly motivated to do it! Also, think about your calories as more of a weekly goal, than a daily - so if you were under a few weekdays, then you can have more on the weekend. Be careful with this, bc it can lead you to justify some mistakes. Something to look forward to -once you met some of your weight loss goals, you will be able to have more calories=more cocktails

Right now I'm saving up some calories for martini or two this weekend. Wish me luck that I keep it to 1 or 2!
  • jojoworks
    jojoworks Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    there's a great thread in the motivation section called "like minded lushes".....no judgmental attitudes, just folks who like to drink and are trying to lose weight.
  • Dcoll24
    Options
    Thats what im talkin about! I do the same thing, make sure to burn extra calories so i can enjoy happy hour with the hubby.
    I just make sure I allow it in my calorie count. It's pretty important to me! I have a craft beer or glass of wine every day, so I either save the calories, or make sure I exercise them off so I can have it. Not willing to give it up, and don't feel like I have to.
  • singfree
    singfree Posts: 1,591 Member
    Options
    Friends, having you can have just about anything in moderation. That's the key here.

Wine has health benefits. One poster said that one glass of wine=1.5 donuts. That is just wrong info. A 4 oz. glass of cabernet has 87 cals, 3g carb and no fat.

A Dunkin Donut (Boston Cream) has 280 cals, 12g fat, and a whopping 38g carb.

I budget my daily calories to include a glass of wine daily. Just don't overdo it. Have fun!
  • shannon_stallone
    Options
    I can't stop drinking wine ahha....I'm definitely saving 100+ calories for a nice glass of red wine....
  • KimA1
    KimA1 Posts: 47
    Options
    I just have them on my exercise days so I stay within my calorie allowance. Can't give it up! :)
  • smilestb99
    Options
    I love wine. I don't drink it as much anymore:
    1. Because I get heartburn and 2. It's a sugar craving and makes me crave other sugar- plus if I drink too much, then I want all bad foods- "Is Taco Bell still open??" haha :laugh:

This past weekend I worked out and had my extra calories, so I allowed myself a couple glasses of wine, and a gluten free beer the next night. I wanted to have a drink with my fiance, and it wasn't going over my calories. Not to mention- since I haven't been drinking it near as much- i got a major buzz off one glass...and then I had the second!:tongue:

Also, there are benefits of red wine (have a piece of dark chocolate with it!) and a side note- Pinot Noir is going to be one of your most calorie friendly wines.:drinker:
  • bunnyrivera
    Options
    I really enjoy a glass or two of pinot noir and set aside as many calories I need to drink beer or wine on my days off. I dont know if this is looked down on but I eat quinoa, veggies, fruit...... amazing food and would like to consume my left over calories with booze and not dessert.
  • bunnyrivera
    Options
    I am so with you on the couple glasses of wine then wanting taco bell hello cheesy rice and bean burrito !:laugh: :laugh:
  • gehlerc
    gehlerc Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    Wow! I am loving this thread!

I, also, love wine and martinis, but I think allowing myself to indulge without limits is mostly to blame for my becoming 20 pounds overweight. I've been so uptight about wanting to "walk the straight and narrow" and lose this weight that I've given up all alcohol since I started (3 weeks ago).

What I'm hearing from a lot of you is that it's okay to enjoy in moderation and to allow for the calories by adjusting what else I eat and / or include enough exercise to allow for the extra calories.

Now, I'll have to discover if I can stick to the limited amounts....
  • darrenw74
    darrenw74 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Wow! I am loving this thread!

I, also, love wine and martinis, but I think allowing myself to indulge without limits is mostly to blame for my becoming 20 pounds overweight. I've been so uptight about wanting to "walk the straight and narrow" and lose this weight that I've given up all alcohol since I started (3 weeks ago).

What I'm hearing from a lot of you is that it's okay to enjoy in moderation and to allow for the calories by adjusting what else I eat and / or include enough exercise to allow for the extra calories.

Now, I'll have to discover if I can stick to the limited amounts....
    Well I just had my week 3 weigh in and have lost 15 pounds so far. I have at least 4 glasses a week.
    It won't feel as much like a diet if you allow yourself some of the small comforts.
    Stay near your target and exercise, obviously.
  • fantomette
    fantomette Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    Ah I cannot give up wine!!! I like having a glass when I'm cooking, there is nothing more delicious than Pinot noir or Shiraz!
  • Debx12345
    Debx12345 Posts: 210
    Options
    I'm with you all on this one, I love a glass to chill out when kids have gone bed, I now make sure it's a small glass with lemonade, then at weekends have a couple more. I just make sure I eat really healthy, do as much exercise as I can, stay within my cals. And finally I enjoy it. ;-D