Alternative to bread

Options

Replies

• LucasEVille
    LucasEVille Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    Please, please, please do your own research before you deny your children of all delicious breaded things! Bread is not unhealthy.

Pretty please? :flowerforyou:
    But with all that I've read that isn't riddled with advertisements (that's frustrating :grumble: ) it is. It's one of the bad carbs, there are good carbs, but it's a bad one. Says the person who as a child I swear had a slice of bread with EVERY single meal.
    So how do you know?? And with that said too, how do you know it's not "labeled as wheat" but essentially white processed bread.

Trust me I LOVE me my bread!

Okay, you keep suggesting that nobody here possibly has the correct understanding of how bread works, but how are you qualified to make that judgement either? Whole wheat is a complex carb. If you think simple carbs are evil (which is a misinformed view that doesn't take into account our body's need for quick energy, or the many other factors that go into the nutritional profile of a given food) don't have them around. Whole wheat is not a simple carb, and different than white bread in that regard. How do I know it's not "labeled as wheat but essentially white processed bread"? I am not an illiterate, and I know how to read a nutritional label. If it's white bread masquerading as whole wheat bread, you will be able to tell that from the ingredients. Look for 100% whole wheat/grain bread, and you're good to go. Still don't trust that? Make your own bread from whole wheat flour, and you'll have an alternative that has minimal processing/ingredients involved.

You should be raising your children to understand that a healthy diet includes anything in moderation. Certain foods are better for you, and you want them to be the core of your diet, but no food needs to be off limit to them entirely. Children especially have different nutritional/caloric needs than adults, and benefit from a fully balanced diet (that includes carbs), as they need the energy due to their growth. My mother did the same thing as you, and demonized certain foods when she was on a given diet (Atkins being when bread became a taboo in our house) and it left me with very messed up perceptions of food that have led me to the point I am today, 20lbs overweight despite having already lost 25lb. Do not accidentally give your children an eating disorder because you or some guy with god knows what understanding of the science behind nutrition have suddenly decided to redefine what is healthy and what is not. Bread did not make me or anyone else overweight, a bad relationship with food is the case for like 80% of us. And guess what, all the weight I've lost was done with an exorbitant (even to the point I'll admit it's not that healthy) amount of bread involved.

1st post? Bravo!

Was about to say the same thing, makes a change ;)
  • sjaplo
    sjaplo Posts: 974 Member
    Options
    I agree with others that research for this particular topic would be excellent. Not all certifications are created equal, some of them sadly are just bare minimum "you passed this multiple choice test, here's your certificate" type programs. Never trust someone else with your own well-being when you're fully capable of learning to look after yourself. Other people may be able to help you along the way but don't just take their every word as truth.

Like others have said, unless you or your kids have a specific gluten allergy bread and rice are not bad. But because of the whole glycemic index thing, it's always best to go with whole grain bread and brown rice. Read the ingredients on the label, they're not allowed to label and make sure the first ingredient is whole wheat flour not just wheat flour.

You said how can we trust it? Well how can we trust a lot of things nowadays? You can't live in fear of your groceries and live in paranoia. The other day I bought a drink that was labeled as naturally flavored and halfway through drinking it I realized it had sucralose in it. I poured out the rest and was mad at myself for not reading the label. Not with the company for marking it as naturally flavored. And that small amount of sucralose didn't hurt me at all, I learned from the experience and went on with my day.

That being said, I see the benefits of minimizing breads in the diet. I came from a family that always had to have toast or crackers with a meal even when the meal itself was rice or pasta based. Or we would crumble 3/4 a pack of saltines into a bowl of chilli. Excessive carbs are what's harmful not carbs in general.

So anyway, as another poster said lettuce wraps can be delicious. I love them myself. I even make chicken "burritos" with romaine lettuce leaves in place of the tortilla/wraps. For things like hummus or peanut butter you could try it on vegetables. One of my favorite things to do to keep calories and carbs down though is to use cauliflower. You can make cauliflower into a low carb pizza crust or into a low carb version of fried rice, etc etc. Plenty of recipes out there. You can use certain squash to replace pasta.

What has "naturaly flavoured" got to do with "sucralose"? The two are mutually exclusive.
  • pcknits
    pcknits Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I love sprouted grain bread. contains no flour.
  • waxon81
    waxon81 Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    I have 3 healthy happy fit kids who pretty much eat what they want, and are only slightly moderated by me. I would rather they had a happy relationship with food now, rather than a potentially worrying 'fussy eating' fear of foods issue when they get into adulthood. Bottom line is, as long as my kids are happy and eating enough to grow within expectations of their percentile, then I'm happy
  • morehealthymatt
    morehealthymatt Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    Cut a doughnut in half....yummy!

There's flat bread (less carbs). Whole grain bread with actual grains in them.
  • sjaplo
    Options
    OP - I have been known to follow a diet "craze" or two. low fat/high carb, low glycemic, demonizing sugar, and all the while yoyoing in weight because they were all unsustainable. I truly believe that moderation and understanding your intake is the only path to achieving and maintaining a healthy weight. I have exercised all my life, but that hasn't stopped me gaining.

I notice you stopped logging your food a long time ago. Please have a look at my food diary - there are no demons, no bad foods and I weighed in this am at 183lbs - down from 197 in January. I enjoy food, I enjoy beer (which is redundant because it's food). Log your food, stay within your calorie allotment and you will lose. Guaranteed (insert medical disclaimer here).

I ribbed you originally because I have been there - many times and it frustrates me to see the same demonization of food being trotted out daily on this site and in conversations around the water-cooler (figratively speaking)

good luck!
  • BlueLadyBug22
    BlueLadyBug22 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    Maybe you could try making a sandwich out of large apple slices, with Pb&J in the middle?
  • HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    Just spotted the vegan bread. I'm stealing that recipe.
    I'm not a vegan, but that bread sounds amazing....

Huh? Why would that be special? At its basic level, bread is flour, water, salt and yeast, which is vegan if you consider yeast, as a eukaryotic micro-organism, to be vegan. If you don't, then chemical leavening is the only choice.
  • amberj32
    amberj32 Posts: 663 Member
    Options
    Im in search of a bread alternative that is KID FRIENDLY!

They are used to me at least having tortillas for them to put pb and j on. But I'm really torn about buying another package tonight.

Why don't we have bread? Because I can't eat it, and I don't want them to learn that it's an "ok" choice. This decision is based on information from my health coach.

"It's a carbohydrate that when broken down will turn to glucose causing your body to release insulin making it very difficult to lose weight. This will not help you reach your goals. "

Glucose is the body's fuel - and there isn't anything wrong with insulin unless your levels are out of wack i.e diabetic (sorry to all the diabetics for being flippant) - health coach huh? How about trying a certified dietician?

And there isn't anything wrong with bread - there's a reason it's called "the staff of life".

I say let them have bread and tortillas! It is an "ok" choice. Whole grain wheat is best. Lots of carbs break down in to glucose. That's what they are suppose to do. It definitely doesn't make it difficult to lose weight. I've been losing weight. I eat bread and tortillas. Hey wait..... AND I'm T2 Diabetic!!! It doesn't make my blood sugar skyrocket either! Maybe if I ate the whole loaf!
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    About Insulin:
    The fact is that insulin is not this terrible, fat-producing hormone that must be kept as low as possible. It is an important hormone for appetite and blood sugar regulation. In fact, if you truly wanted to keep insulin as low as possible, then you wouldn’t eat a high protein diet…you would eat a low protein, low carbohydrate, high fat diet. However, I don’t see anybody recommending that.

http://weightology.net/weightologyweekly/?page_id=319

Categorizing foods as or diets as “clean” is clearly a successful marketing strategy, but is less useful when it comes to daily decision-making about good nutrition. Some of the concepts that underlie “eating clean” are supported by good scientific evidence. But the “eating clean” philosophy is imbued with a considerable amount of pseudoscience and a large amount of the naturalistic fallacy. Calories matter, and supplements probably don’t. For that reason, I would not recommend any of the “Eat Clean” and related books. There are too many inaccuracies to compensate for the good advice buried within. Dietary design needs to be based on good evidence, not anecdotes and logical fallacies.

http://www.sciencebasedmedicine.org/should-you-be-eating-clean/
    For your body composition, it doesn’t matter if a carb is classified as simple or complex or if it has a high or low glycemic or insulin load or index. Only the total amount of carbs in your diet matters and this only matters because carbs contain calories.

For your health, the source of carbs is only relevant if you’re unhealthy. If you’re already healthy, it generally doesn’t matter.

http://www.simplyshredded.com/the-science-of-nutrition-is-a-carb-a-carb.html
  • Cinnamonhuskies
    Cinnamonhuskies Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    whole wheat tortillas are good.

That being said, if you are concerned what is in the bread you're buying, then bake your own. I do, or I buy it at the local Mennonite store.
  • sjaplo
    Options
    I love sprouted grain bread. contains no flour.

Seriously? The partial conversion of the starches into sugars by sprouting is the process used in sprouted grain bread. It is then ground into flour in order to make bread. :grumble: It is the same wheat, it's just had it's endosperm kick started and then kilned.
  • LucasEVille
    Options
    About Insulin:
    The fact is that insulin is not this terrible, fat-producing hormone that must be kept as low as possible. It is an important hormone for appetite and blood sugar regulation. In fact, if you truly wanted to keep insulin as low as possible, then you wouldn’t eat a high protein diet…you would eat a low protein, low carbohydrate, high fat diet. However, I don’t see anybody recommending that.

Categorizing foods as or diets as “clean” is clearly a successful marketing strategy, but is less useful when it comes to daily decision-making about good nutrition. Some of the concepts that underlie “eating clean” are supported by good scientific evidence. But the “eating clean” philosophy is imbued with a considerable amount of pseudoscience and a large amount of the naturalistic fallacy. Calories matter, and supplements probably don’t. For that reason, I would not recommend any of the “Eat Clean” and related books. There are too many inaccuracies to compensate for the good advice buried within. Dietary design needs to be based on good evidence, not anecdotes and logical fallacies.

http://www.sciencebasedmedicine.org/should-you-be-eating-clean/
    For your body composition, it doesn’t matter if a carb is classified as simple or complex or if it has a high or low glycemic or insulin load or index. Only the total amount of carbs in your diet matters and this only matters because carbs contain calories.

For your health, the source of carbs is only relevant if you’re unhealthy. If you’re already healthy, it generally doesn’t matter.

http://www.simplyshredded.com/the-science-of-nutrition-is-a-carb-a-carb.html

giphy.gif
  • DanielCathers
    DanielCathers Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    About Insulin:

False dilemma: you could have moderate protein instead of low and keep your insulin response down. It's called ketogenic, and plenty of people are recommending it.

OP, a lot of people are confusing not needing to do something with should not doing something. I say, go for it. Cut bread but learn about what you're actually doing. Read up on ketogenic diets because you need to do it properly.
  • LucasEVille
    Options
    About Insulin:

False dilemma: you could have moderate protein instead of low and keep your insulin response down. It's called ketogenic, and plenty of people are recommending it.

OP, a lot of people are confusing not needing to do something with should not doing something. I say, go for it. Cut bread but learn about what you're actually doing. Read up on ketogenic diets because you need to do it properly.

And what exactly do you believe about enforcing a """ketogenic""" diet on children?
  • itsbasschick
    itsbasschick Posts: 1,584 Member
    Options
    every serious athlete, including bodybuilders, i've ever talked to got where they were by eating complex carbs - bread, pasta, oats, etc. i wouldn't care what a person's credentials were if he/she suggested giving up complex carbs while putting me on a workout routine or giving food advice.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,039 Member
    Options
    Umm your doctor is off his rocker. All carbs turn into glucose. And your body is supposed to produce insulin to metabolize it. I mean what the heck? Beans, potatoes, carrots, fruits....it doesn't matter, it all turns into glucose. Glucose fuels the body and brain.

Exactly right.

To be fair to doctors, it wasnt a doctor who recommended this to OP - was just a "health coach"
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    About Insulin:

So...you are pushing off a keto diet designed for epileptics on children? If OP wants to mess with her diet, that's one thing. But demonizing foods and teaching that to her kids should be a big NO.
  • DanielCathers
    DanielCathers Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    About Insulin:

And what exactly do you believe about enforcing a """ketogenic""" diet on children?

Parents enforce diets on their children all the time. This is no different than a parent "enforcing" a non keto diet. Diets are what you eat. Parents buy the food. The younger the child, the less say they have.
  • LucasEVille
    Options
    About Insulin:

Parents enforce diets on their children all the time. This is no different than a parent "enforcing" a non keto diet. Diets are what you eat. Parents buy the food. The younger the child, the less say they have.

I refer you to the post above yours, one would guess you ignored it for a reason ;)
    So...you are pushing off a keto diet designed for epileptics on children? If OP wants to mess with her diet, that's one thing. But demonizing foods and teaching that to her kids should be a big NO.