Alternative to bread

Options
124»

Replies

• LoupGarouTFTs
    LoupGarouTFTs Posts: 916 Member
    Options
    Find a better health coach. He's got an agenda and he's forcing it on you--and through you, onto your kids. "Clean" eating is fine as a choice for an adult, who can make reasoned choices about food. For a child who is just discovering his or her relationship with food, it's a potential nudge toward an eating disorder. Do your children a favor. If *you* want to cut out bread, cut it out. Leave your children's bread alone. Bread is fine in moderation. (By the way, Type II diabetic here, I eat between one and four slices of bread a day, and I've lost 27 pounds since April.)
  • DanielCathers
    DanielCathers Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    About Insulin:
    The fact is that insulin is not this terrible, fat-producing hormone that must be kept as low as possible. It is an important hormone for appetite and blood sugar regulation. In fact, if you truly wanted to keep insulin as low as possible, then you wouldn’t eat a high protein diet…you would eat a low protein, low carbohydrate, high fat diet. However, I don’t see anybody recommending that.

http://weightology.net/weightologyweekly/?page_id=319

False dilemma: you could have moderate protein instead of low and keep your insulin response down. It's called ketogenic, and plenty of people are recommending it.

OP, a lot of people are confusing not needing to do something with should not doing something. I say, go for it. Cut bread but learn about what you're actually doing. Read up on ketogenic diets because you need to do it properly.

So...you are pushing off a keto diet designed for epileptics on children? If OP wants to mess with her diet, that's one thing. But demonizing foods and teaching that to her kids should be a big NO.

First, this is basically what it seems the health coach is describing: a keto diet or near keto. I think a lot of you questioning the coach's credentials is quite laughable. It's the same emotionally charged language as you seem to think "demonizing" bread is. Attack the argument, not the messenger. It doesn't add anything to the conversation.

Second, I'm telling OP to learn what she is doing when she cuts bread. Simply cutting bread may not do what OP thinks it will do.
  • Maitria
    Maitria Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    OP, would you consider following the Myplate.gov guide as a compromise? It's a good model for families trying to develop healthy habits. .25 of each meal is a grain, half is fruits and veggies, and .25 is protein and dairy. It has all sorts of kid friendly games and worksheets. Our meals as children were often pretty heavily grain based, but there is a middle ground between an entire plate of noodles and sauce as the meal and no grains at all.

For instance, you could make a plate for each of you with: an open faced sandwich with whatever protein and veggies and dairy you want. Then you can add a kid friendly prepared side of veggies (with fat! Roasted veggies, veggies with butter or cheese.) You can finish it off with the rest fruit. If anyone is hungry when they are done, they can get more, but first they have to eat the original plate (unless it's something they really really hate.)

Or you can make a plate with some salad, some spaghetti (with whatever kind of sauce and veggies), and a dessert of a yogurt and fruit parfait.

Your kids are going to get into bread somewhere, and they will sneak to get it. If you don't want to do all wheat, try brown rice pasta. It's awesome and the kids won't know if you don't tell them. Whole grains do make for an easier well rounded diet if you don't have a reason to not eat them.
  • DanielCathers
    Options
    About Insulin:
    The fact is that insulin is not this terrible, fat-producing hormone that must be kept as low as possible. It is an important hormone for appetite and blood sugar regulation. In fact, if you truly wanted to keep insulin as low as possible, then you wouldn’t eat a high protein diet…you would eat a low protein, low carbohydrate, high fat diet. However, I don’t see anybody recommending that.

False dilemma: you could have moderate protein instead of low and keep your insulin response down. It's called ketogenic, and plenty of people are recommending it.

OP, a lot of people are confusing not needing to do something with should not doing something. I say, go for it. Cut bread but learn about what you're actually doing. Read up on ketogenic diets because you need to do it properly.

And what exactly do you believe about enforcing a """ketogenic""" diet on children?

Parents enforce diets on their children all the time. This is no different than a parent "enforcing" a non keto diet. Diets are what you eat. Parents buy the food. The younger the child, the less say they have.

I refer you to the post above yours, one would guess you ignored it for a reason ;)
    So...you are pushing off a keto diet designed for epileptics on children? If OP wants to mess with her diet, that's one thing. But demonizing foods and teaching that to her kids should be a big NO.

Clearly I ignored it.
  • LucasEVille
    LucasEVille Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    About Insulin:

First, this is basically what it seems the health coach is describing: a keto diet or near keto. I think a lot of you questioning the coach's credentials is quite laughable. It's the same emotionally charged language as you seem to think "demonizing" bread is. Attack the argument, not the messenger. It doesn't add anything to the conversation.

Second, I'm telling OP to learn what she is doing when she cuts bread. Simply cutting bread may not do what OP thinks it will do.

Again do you believe that the OP should demonize an entire food group for young impressionable children who are yet to formulate their own relationship with food and moderation?
  • Wenchiness
    Wenchiness Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Sorry if this is a duplicate message, I didn't read all the responses, seems to me there is a lot of hate.
    Peanut butter on romaine? Not sure how kid friendly that is.
    Lately I've been making "fake" tortilla from rounds of jicama cut on a mandoin
  • DanielCathers
    Options
    About Insulin:

Again do you believe that the OP should demonize an entire food group for young impressionable children who are yet to formulate their own relationship with food and moderation?

Why do you consider bread a food group? Because the USDA told you it's one? Why should your diet be the angelic one? You aren't discussing the nutrition. You're just trying to label something as bad by using inflammatory language. Does staying away from bread develop eating disorders? Show me that study.
  • orlandogirl97
    orlandogirl97 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    http://www.foodforlife.com/product/breads/genesis-129-sprouted-whole-grain-and-seed-bread

This is great bread! You can lose weight eating bread like this, unless you have a medical condition. In moderation......
  • LucasEVille
    LucasEVille Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    About Insulin:

Why do you consider bread a food group? Because the USDA told you it's one? Why should your diet be the angelic one? You aren't discussing the nutrition. You're just trying to label something as bad by using inflammatory language. Does staying away from bread develop eating disorders? Show me that study.

I have no idea who the USDA are, a quick profile click would tell you I'm not American.

Again you've done a great job of deflecting the question.
    If you believe my language was inflammatory I will tone it down to a simple question for you:

Do you beliebe the OP should be completely restricting and labeling certain foods as "bad foods" in her child's life before they develop their own relationship with food and moderation?
  • DanielCathers
    Options
    About Insulin:

I have no idea who the USDA are, a quick profile click would tell you I'm not American.

Again you've done a great job of deflecting the question.
    If you believe my language was inflammatory I will tone it down to a simple question for you:

Do you beliebe the OP should be completely restricting and labeling certain foods as "bad foods" in her child's life before they develop their own relationship with food and moderation?

1. I don't think your version of moderation is the only healthy way to think about food.

2. Whatever food OP chooses is going to affect her children, whether it's status quo or someone's recommendations. It's not as if there is something psychologically special about OP restricting bread. I think what the OP should do is learn about everything involved, teach her kids, and encourage them to learn. I don't think she should just simply follow commenters', her coach's, or my advice blindly. That would be unhealthy.
  • farmers_daughter
    farmers_daughter Posts: 1,632 Member
    Options
    Oh my that escalated quickly!!! Woof. I wouldnt say demonizing the bread was my intention... i know there will always be places and times we cant avoid it.
    I have almost an impossible time with moderation. But I tend to grab onto all or nothing mindsets. So thats why I originally asked for an alternative. I will have to go back thru some of the links on here because anything at this point is more than what I already know. It doesnt mean that at a whim Ill jump on that bandwagon but everything is worth reading.

And I think hes pushing more towards Paleo type stuff for me.
  • LoupGarouTFTs
    LoupGarouTFTs Posts: 916 Member
    Options
    And I think hes pushing more towards Paleo type stuff for me.

He shouldn't be pushing in any direction for you to be eating. It's your body and the food you put into it impacts you, not him. Unless he has a medical degree of some kind and you have a medical condition that he's treating, he should be mindful of your choices, not pushing his agenda on your life. To do otherwise is unethical.