Juice fast

Options

Replies

• NurseAlleyE
    NurseAlleyE Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Keep in mind, I am not saying there is evidence. I tried it once and it didn't go well at all so I am not a supporter, but I also don't reply negatively to a post looking for some friends to support them on a new venture. I am interested in her results, not backing her. She asked for support, not everyones opinions on the matter. It's a forum so post as you will, but I try to post where my word means something, not to bring someone down. If she wants to try, so be it.

People on this site are kinda rude LOL. Yeah like he said just looking for others that are interested, i know its not for a lot of people. I just am doing an experiment to see how it goes. People say juice fasting is horrible but so is eating most of the foods we eat on a daily basis, by no means am I malnourished our underweight so it wont hurt me. I have spoken with my doctor and all is good. Anyway.....
  • NurseAlleyE
    Options
    If you're going to "juice" then I'd encourage you to use the whole fruit and not just the juice from the fruit. Fruit contains fiber which offsets the effects of fructose (sugar). I'm guessing you're doing veggies and fruit as well, eh? Keep us updated. I'm curious to see how it goes.

Btw, where do you plan on getting your protein from?

I will keep you updated. Diet will be lacking protein for sure. It will just be for a short period of time.
  • LucasEVille
    LucasEVille Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    Interesting. If I am not in agreement with a topic I simply avoid it...not troll the topic.
    So some of you disagree with juicing. Fine...why be jerk about it? This thread is looking for
    Comrades...not skeptics. Sheesh.

Someone posts a thread on a public forum trying to garner support in a pseudoscience fad, MFP themselves stickied the thread I linked to debunking any of the myths surrounding juice fasts... You have to expect people to reply its a public forum? If not then create a private MFP group not a public thread that way no new members are going to see the threads and think its endorsed by this community.
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options
    Interesting. If I am not in agreement with a topic I simply avoid it...not troll the topic.
    So some of you disagree with juicing. Fine...why be jerk about it? This thread is looking for
    Interesting. Why do you feel the need to police a public thread? Fair game, boo boo. If you don't like what you read feel free to click the ignore button instead of huffing and puffing indignantly on the interwebz.
  • alishaq14
    alishaq14 Posts: 16
    Options
    Wow, some people are so rude...and ignorant!....Well, I don't go on juice fasts, however I do add juicing into my diet about once or twice a week...I usually juice kale, lemon, chard, apples, cucumber, ginger root, and celery and I love it! There has been an amazing difference in my energy and I don't get headaches like I use to since doing it. I 100% believe juicing is extremely beneficial health wise!
  • MinMin97
    MinMin97 Posts: 2,676 Member
    Options

Someone posts a thread on a public forum trying to garner support in a pseudoscience fad, MFP themselves stickied the thread I linked to debunking any of the myths surrounding juice fasts... You have to expect people to reply its a public forum? If not then create a private MFP group not a public thread that way no new members are going to see the threads and think its endorsed by this community.
    I like juicing. Drinking juices for a week is fine... you get calories, even if you don't agree with the macros or whatever.
  • LucasEVille
    LucasEVille Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    Interesting. Why do you feel the need to police a public thread? Fair game, boo boo. If you don't like what you read feel free to click the ignore button instead of huffing and puffing indignantly on the interwebz.

12956698465_93c92ff0fd.jpg

Useful for:

1. Ignoring science
    2. Avoiding butthurt
  • Alluminati
    Options
    Wow, some people are so rude...and ignorant!....Well, I don't go on juice fasts, however I do add juicing into my diet about once or twice a week...I usually juice kale, lemon, chard, apples, cucumber, ginger root, and celery and I love it! There has been an amazing difference in my energy and I don't get headaches like I use to since doing it. I 100% believe juicing is extremely beneficial health wise!
    I like how people who don't juice "fast" are egging on the OP to do it. Lol.
  • Alluminati
    Options

12956698465_93c92ff0fd.jpg

Useful for:

1. Ignoring science
    2. Avoiding butthurt
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options

Nobody said anything contrary until the unsupported and outright false claims came into play. It doesn't cleanse, give the colon a rest, or repair organs. If somebody wants to deliberately deprive themselves of macronutrients and fast (fast
    : to eat no food for a period of time) that's on them ... expecting others to support what is by definition a refusal to eat is something that flirts with the rules against promoting controversial and low calorie diets.

You saw something you disagreed with and insinuated that some were jerks yet expect others to remain quiet when seeing something they disagree with. That is hypocritical behavior on your part.
  • NurseAlleyE
    Options

Thats what Im planning on doing after a while of just the juicing! I have heard it can really help with headaches if you add it to your diet. Thanks for the reply.
  • MinMin97
    MinMin97 Posts: 2,676 Member
    Options
    That's exactly why I like juicing...particularly vegetables, but also some fruit: it gives your system a break from all the digesting. It's an easy way to rejuvenate a little. It always makes my skin look awesome!!!

Fav juice:
    1/2 bunch spinach
    1/2 bunch of celery
    1-2 fuji apples
    Optional 1/2 bunch of mint leaves or 1 inch of fresh ginger root.

The spinach is loaded with amazing properties, including COQ10! If I drink on an empty stomach, it's really energizing.
  • NurseAlleyE
    Options
    I'm doing it for health reason, to give my colon a rest and help my other organs a chance to repair themselves.

So tell me which of your organs are damaged and what medical professional told you that juice will fix it? I mean I'm guessing your still in hospital with the organ damage right?

Also OP read this link:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1159755-looking-for-a-detox-cleanse

In case you don't:
    Hey MFPers.

With the rapid increase of new users there are many posts coming up asking for detox recommendations. I figured this would be a good time to provide some links explaining why you generally don't need to detox or cleanse.

Your body is readily equipped to handle toxins and in the event it cannot, you're in far greater need of medical attention than you are of any particular beverage or liquid diet.

For purposes of weight loss, you're essentially choosing to replace food with liquid calories (depending on the cleanse, but most fall under this category) resulting in what usually amounts to a VLCD. This isn't typically a good idea for a variety of reasons (mood, hunger signaling, skeletal muscle maintenance, performance) and moreover it represents yet another short-cut attempt rather than establishing proper habits.

The intent of my post isn't to insult anyone who comes here with the misinformed belief that they should detox/cleanse. The purpose is to provide information to hopefully save someone the wasted time, money, and potential ill health effects, not to mention the likely weight regain.

Please read the following links:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/821828-detoxes-and-cleanses
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/927327-cleanse-why-you-are-lucky-they-don-t-work
    http://www.burnthefatinnercircle.com/members/colon-cleansing-scam.cfm
    http://www.biolayne.com/nutrition/detox-diet-scams-and-product-scams-get-called-out-by-real-scientists/
    http://www.sciencebasedmedicine.org/fashionable-toxins/
    http://www.sciencebasedmedicine.org/toxins-the-new-evil-humours/
    http://theness.com/neurologicablog/index.php/the-detox-scam/
    http://sciencebasedpharmacy.wordpress.com/2013/01/04/the-detox-delusion/

tl:dr - It is pseudoscience and a waste of money

These are great articles, thanks for the resource!
  • NurseAlleyE
    Options
    That's exactly why I like juicing...particularly vegetables, but also some fruit: it gives your system a break from all the digesting. It's an easy way to rejuvenate a little. It always makes my skin look awesome!!!

Fav juice:
    1/2 bunch spinach
    1/2 bunch of celery
    1-2 fuji apples
    Optional 1/2 bunch of mint leaves or 1 inch of fresh ginger root.

Thanks for the recipe! I will make this right when my juicer gets here! I am gonna try the ginger. I love ginger and spicy stuff so I think I will be adding that to a lot of my juices.
  • peachmagic
    peachmagic Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I tried to do one and felt like passing out on day 3. I was so depressed it was awful. My boyfriend made me eat. I wouldn't really recommend them if you care about being healthy, but regardless stay safe and drink as much juice as you can ♥
  • PrincessEliNa
    PrincessEliNa Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    How does it work? You just drink juice all day?
  • aedreana
    aedreana Posts: 979 Member
    Options
    OP, this site harbors a clique that lies in wait for anyone to post a thread that doesn't fall in line with their particular philosophies. I am sorry you got hit with all this negativity on your very first post. I knew by the title it would be a hot-button issue for the clique. They consider any deviation from their own way a "fad diet" even if it is short-term. When you get your juicer, if you fix yourself one of those green vegetable drinks, drink one for me too lol !Those green drinks always look SO good on TV!
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    OP, this site harbors a clique that lies in wait for anyone to post a thread that doesn't fall in line with their particular philosophies. I am sorry you got hit with all this negativity on your very first post. I knew by the title it would be a hot-button issue for the clique. They consider any deviation from their own way a "fad diet" even if it is short-term. When you get your juicer, if you fix yourself one of those green vegetable drinks, drink one for me too lol !Those green drinks always look SO good on TV!

That "clique" would be members who post fact, backed by science, to discuss issues. Those people are the true voices of reason on the forum.
  • Alluminati
    Options
    What proof do you have that I'm in a clique. Excuse you.
  • jmv7117
    jmv7117 Posts: 891 Member
    Options
    Hey! Yeah i am going to be very serious about this. I know its going to be hard and ive done a lot of research and watched movies on how the process usually goes. I am waiting for my juicer to come in the mail still. It is supposed to come on Monday so I want to start Tuesday. When are you planning on starting? Have you watched the movie "fat sick and nearly dead"? Good movie.

I can't advise on a juice cleanse and by default if you are drinking juice it really isn't a fast. I bought a Bella juicer a year or so ago to enjoy fresh homemade juices. My number one complaint is cleaning it but otherwise my juicer does a nice job. Fresh carrot juice is delicious!