Frightened of my hunger/ appetite in ED recovery

Options
Extreme hunger is seriously frightening.

Yesterday i did fine, 3 meals, 2 snacks (probs 3000+ calories). Although my mind did frequently jump to chocolate, I managed to push that away...

But then today, I don't know what happened. Straight after breakfast (which was like almost 5 asian steamed buns), i ate an ENTIRE BOX OF OREOS (probs 21 cookies). I panicked and went to the gym for around 45minutes. ): even though I know it won't undo any damage...

I came home calmer, and decided to eat lunch (sushi rice, with natto, some sesame oil...) because i refuse to go back to my ED behaviours and restrict. I thought if I break the cycle of binge/restrict, I can beat it.... But then shortly after, I went and binged on 3 slices wholemeal toast wit 4-5 tbsp PB... AAHH

I don't know what's wrong with me. I don't know if it's normal. I'm considering a dietitian who will place me on a set meal plan (which i can follow without binging?!). I'm so scared of overeating. I can easily return to restricting, but I'm trying my hardest to listen to my body signals - but wtf is telling me to eat an entire box of oreos normal? I dun gettittt!

When i finish eating, my heart is kinda fast, my stomach is full, but my arms/ legs are kinda shaky/ tired... Does that mean I'm doing something wrong... or like i need more? omgierd

I just don't know whether what I'm doing is normal. Am i MEANT to be eating this much? What is normal eating...

Replies

• cwoyto123
    cwoyto123 Posts: 308
    Options
    I eat 3000+ calorie meals all the time, seems normal.
  • LMYERS94
    LMYERS94 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    It's a challenge believe me. I hated everyday of it, but you'll get through it. Seeing a Nutritionist did help me though when I was dealing with ED recovery. Feel free to add me as a friend for support!
  • Glaziazisaur
    Options
    If you are only just beginning recovery, your appetite is going to go MAD!
    Kati Morton on youtube has a video (she's an ED therapist) about this, and honestly you should give a a couple weeks before your body is able to adjust.
    If it really seems to be getting out of control, talk to your therapist ASAP! Or work with your nutritionist to get a set meal plan that will make it easier for you to get your nutrients without binge-eating. It's important to get the proper nutrients during recovery :)
  • SomeNights246
    SomeNights246 Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    Breathe, hun.

I'm here to tell you that increased appetite early in recovery is normal. Binging is normal, too. The feelings we attach to the binging is not normal, but anyone recovering from restriction/starvation will eat far more than a normal, healthy person would in one sitting. Your body needs time to repair. It needs nutrients to repair. Give your body time to adjust. It knows what you're doing. As long as you are working through the binge eating with a therapist, it will not turn into binge eating disorder or bulimia. Nor will you relapse back into whatever eating disorder you were previously suffering (I'd guess either anorexia or atypical anorexia?).

Yes, you should consult with a nutritionist/dietitian. I feel like a hypocrite saying this. I did not, however, because I cannot afford to. I am barely scarping by, and have no insurance (we were pretty much told by insurance companies that we should just be happy that we don't have to pay the fine). So, treatment was mostly outside my realms of possibilities. I made use of what I could - support groups, a counselor, a recovery app, MFP for my meal planning (in the beginning I'd plan meals ahead of time and made sure I ate it all), etc. If you can afford help, GET IT. I was miserable on my own. The pain grew unbearable, and realistically, I probably should have been in - at the very least - an IOP program.

What you are experiencing after eating is normal in recovery from a restrictive eating disorder. It is partly psychological (caused by the anxiety related to food, as we are not - contrary to what some people here and elsewhere seem to think - cured by 'just eating' - eating literally causes us anxiety and physical pain), and partly related to how long you restricted. Think of these feelings as your body repairing itself. It sounds super lame, but it helped me early in recovery and it helps me to this day to think of it that way. Your body (and your mind, too) are going to go through changes. And you will feel them. It is literally your body repairing. Your body needs to repair. Don't exercise early in recovery. This rule was hard for me to follow. But you will regret it. You should take as much time to rest as you can. Your body needs the rest. About a month or two into my recovery, all I wanted to do was sleep. It, also, sounds lik eyour exercise might be related to the ED. In which case, I'd recommend cutting it out completely until you are further in your recovery. Or trading it in for Yoga which is lighter and more relaxing.

During my recovery, my body went through phases. The earliest was oatmeal and peanut butter. I lived off the stuff. I went through a phase where I consumed a lot of sugar. I went through another where I lived off meat. Nothing but meat. (And I hate meat) I assume this was my body demanding certain things I'd deprived it off. You might go through this. It sounds like you might be already. (Toast and peanut butter reminds me of my oatmeal and peanut butter) The good news is, as your body recovers (and hopefully your mind, too) the cravings will slowly dissipate. Provided you recover smoothly. You'll find yourself binge eating less and less, and realize that when you do want to binge it's not because your body wants to, but your mind. Believe it or not (and I speak as someone who has battled BED and atypical anorexia) the binges are very different. I find the mind one to be easier to nip in the bud before the binge. Because once you find your triggers, you can learn to avoid them. When your body wants to binge, it's because you have deprived yourself of either: a) something you once enjoyed, or b) nutrients that your body needs to live. I have made it through the worst of the binge eating. At a party, I consumed about ten cupcakes, a bunch of cake, some fruit, and chips in one sitting. I wanted to cry, and felt certain everyone was watching. But looking back, I realize it was just a normal reaction to being starved for so long. It all eases with time.

Normal eating is hard to explain. That's soemthing you need to discuss with a therapist and a recovery team. Just, take a deep breath and remember that recovery is worth it. You are strong. You must be to have chosen recovery. No one chooses to have an eating disorder, but we can make the choice to fight back and take a stand against it. :flowerforyou:
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Contact your therapist before your problem gets worse again.

this
  • chene249
    chene249 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    ^ so it is a bad problem... ?
  • SquashedChocolateFrog
    Options
    No - it's not a bad problem at all - just your body trying to tell you it needs nourishment - basically it's just catching up on what it was missing before and will stop when it's refed - don't be scared of it at all, but DO make sure you are sticking with a therapist - they'll let you know when it's time to get back to a more maintanance level of eating and work through your fears and concerns about food, calories, body image or whatever else you might be afraid of. It really is natural - there are TONS of people that have gone through it and have come out the other side at a healthy weight, with a perfectly normal, beautiful figure and able to enjoy life much more - many on this site - you won't feel hungry like this forever, and you'll be able to enjoy food and eating a lot more, while keeping your body in a healthy place. A lot of therapists may recommend a nutritionist once you are at the back end of the recovery process to help you work out maintainance details, but that's not a necessary thing, and nothing you should be worried about at the moment - good luck! :flowerforyou: