Will you power through to the goal or take a break?

Options
2»

Replies

• monolith66
    monolith66 Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    If one needs to "power through", they're doing it wrong. It's about sustainability and compliance, forever.
    No, I'm not going to be eating at a deficit forever, so sustainability isn't really relevant beyond my goal.

I won't be taking any breaks, but I'll have a few days over maintenance until I get to my loss goal. So, I'll be powering through.

Did I say anything about a deficit, cowboy? I meant in general, whether it be weight loss/maintenance/gain maybe I should have been more specific obviously some people can't read between the lines..
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    If one needs to "power through", they're doing it wrong. It's about sustainability and compliance, forever.
    No, I'm not going to be eating at a deficit forever, so sustainability isn't really relevant beyond my goal.

I won't be taking any breaks, but I'll have a few days over maintenance until I get to my loss goal. So, I'll be powering through.

Did I say anything about a deficit, cowboy? I meant in general, whether it be weight loss/maintenance/gain maybe I should have been more specific obviously some people can't read between the lines..

Well that is the purpose of a discussion forum. To read the lines. A little clarification shouldn't hurt nothing. For example are you really saying weight change/maintenance is a breeze? Cos I have many a day I didn't want to work out but did it anyway, or didn't feel like cooking or hand washing a huge pile of dishes (again) but did it anyway because that's what it takes to get where I want
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    Options

You said I'm doing it wrong. How am I doing it wrong?

You meant in general, what, exactly?

Mostly likely, it's not a question of my needing to read between the lines, it's a question if your needing not to over-generalize or to presume that everyone is in the same situation you are or does things the way you do.
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    Options

Sustainability can be relevant. Well you're hugely tall so your calorie needs may always be higher than most. But consider for instance people eating at a deficit of a half pound per week , for whatever reason. When they get to "maintenance" they really won't be eating that much more per day. Their maintenance habits could need to be rather similar to their weight loss habits.
    That's fair. If someone is eating close to maintenance and eating in a way they won't be able to continue -- bringing celery and yogurt to Thanksgiving or skipping everyone's birthday parties or whatever -- then sustainability could be relevant. Still, that's different from powering through, IMO.

Maybe someone says, "OK, this holiday season I'm really going to restrict myself substantially in order to meet my goal, but next year I'll be in a better position to indulge within reason." To me, that's powering though, it's probably not sustainable, and it's still an arguably reasonable approach.
  • Birder155
    Birder155 Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    Perhaps you could try to eat maintenance calories on the weekend and at a deficit during the week.
  • sfbaumgarten
    sfbaumgarten Posts: 912 Member
    Options
    I don't see eating at maintenance once in a while as taking a break. You'll be fine.

This, as long as you're still logging.
  • Hybrice
    Hybrice Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I'm trying to inflect a lifestyle change so I'm hoping I won't need a break, but I may take a break from Insanity, I plan on doing it 2-3 times but will definitely want some recovery time after the 1st, it's killing me!
  • Jim1960
    Jim1960 Posts: 194
    Options
    My primary goal isn't a specific weight. Nor is it a specific shape. These are all secondary and are natural consequences of my primary goal. My primary goal is to eat and live - each day - in as healthy a way as I can. I need to focus on developing better habits and new ways of thinking about food and activity. That in the face of decades of bad eating and laziness. I can't take a break from that. Habits and conversion of thought processes are too hard to form and persistence and consistency are key to those changes. I simply cannot afford to let my guard down until I'm 110% confident I've truly changed.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    Already made my goal but the only time I've taken a break is for vacation. On vacation I always just eat whatever I want.

This...it was actually right before vacation I hit my first GW...then decided I wanted to lose 10 more pounds...

but by take a break do you mean "eat as much as you want whenever you want" or "eat at maitenance for a week continue logging and then get back at a deficit"...
  • fittyinthemaking
    fittyinthemaking Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    ive taken a break before and eaten what i wanted, i was a waitress though so still lost 10lb in 4 weeks, as long as youre not gaining youre not going back :) enjoy :drinker:
  • dopeysmelly
    dopeysmelly Posts: 1,390 Member
    Options
    I've broken whenever I've had to be away from home, so that's vacation and business trips. I've always eaten in moderation (OK, had one too many drinks a couple of times..), but not logged meals. I've always tried to get my 1 hr walk in every day though.

I've got right back on the scale and on my plan as soon as I've got home though.
  • schelly81
    schelly81 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    I've broken whenever I've had to be away from home, so that's vacation and business trips. I've always eaten in moderation (OK, had one too many drinks a couple of times..), but not logged meals. I've always tried to get my 1 hr walk in every day though.

I've got right back on the scale and on my plan as soon as I've got home though.

I've done the same as well. I've had a few weekends where I haven't logged and still worked out and maybe had a few too many drinks. Every time I get back to it the day I'm back and the scale has had a bit of sodium water weight that dropped off within a day or two.