Looking for good salad dressing recipes

Options
Delquin
Delquin Posts: 33 Member
Does anyone make their own dressing? I'd like to start doing it, but I'm not finding anything I like. I'm a creamy dressing lover - thousand island, honey mustard, ranch...you know, the extra fatty stuff.

I'd love to find a good, low cal, creamy dressing recipe to make. Vinegar and oil is not my thing.

Replies

• chboyer69
    chboyer69 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Check out this link to Eating Well. Some of these receipes sound really good and they look creamy. :smile: http://www.eatingwell.com/recipes_menus/collections/healthy_salad_dressing_recipes
  • klynnchris11
    klynnchris11 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I got this recipe off of Skinnytaste.com. It's amazing. I never have Buttermilk, so I just take some skim and add some lemon juice. Works just as well!

Zesty Avocado Cilantro Buttermilk Dressing
    Skinnytaste.com
    Servings: 6 • Serving Size: 3 1/2 tbsp • Old Points: 1 pt • Points+: 2 pts
    Calories: 64.9 • Fat: 4.8 g • Protein: 1.8 g • Carb: 5.1 g • Fiber: 2.2 g • Sugar: 1.9
    Sodium: 128.8 mg

Ingredients:

3/4 cup low-fat buttermilk
    1 small jalapeno, seeds removed, leave them in if you want it spicy
    1/4 cup of fresh cilantro
    1 medium haas avocado
    1 clove garlic
    2 tbsp chopped scallion
    juice of 1 lime
    1/8 tsp cumin
    1/4 tsp fresh ground pepper
    1/2 tsp kosher salt
  • dawnmcneil10
    dawnmcneil10 Posts: 638 Member
    Options
    I use plain greek yogurt as a base to many "dressings". I don't actually have recipes I just create stuff as I go that fits whatever mood I happen to be in. If I'm having taco salad for example I'll use greek yogurt, avacado (mashed), salsa and seasoning sometimes even a touch of hot sauce. If I'm making what I call cheeseburger salad I use mustard and ketchup as my salad dressing and while it sounds odd it's delicious.
    Balsamic vinegar (flavored or plain) with fruit juice and EVOO is pretty fantastic too.
  • DaboGirlNB
    DaboGirlNB Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I use plain greek yogurt as a base to many "dressings". I don't actually have recipes I just create stuff as I go that fits whatever mood I happen to be in. If I'm having taco salad for example I'll use greek yogurt, avacado (mashed), salsa and seasoning sometimes even a touch of hot sauce. If I'm making what I call cheeseburger salad I use mustard and ketchup as my salad dressing and while it sounds odd it's delicious.
    Balsamic vinegar (flavored or plain) with fruit juice and EVOO is pretty fantastic too.

Agreed! I use plain greek 0% yogurt for everything, including a base for creamy dressings all the time. Try grainy mustard and blob of honey = creamy honey mustard dressing. Or Franks hot sauce & bit of blue cheese. Grated cucumber, fresh garlic, lemon zest and dried herbs etc.
  • lewandt
    lewandt Posts: 566
    Options
    I'm with you, i love Ranch and Blue Cheese dressings and i don't care much for the low-fat versions you can buy. I have made this and it is pretty good. I have not figured out the nutrition part of it yet though as i would have to make it and figure out how many servings you can get out of it. Next time i make it i will do that.

Trick Blue Cheese Dressing
    ¼ C crumbled blue cheese
    ¾ C buttermilk
    1/3 C fat free Mayonnaise
    ½ teaspoon minced garlic

Blend in all ingredients until satin smooth then stir in 2 tablespoons of low-fat cottage cheese. Chill for 24 hours
  • Delquin
    Options
    I never have buttermilk either, but that's probably a good thing. :) I'll have to try using the yogurt as a base. Unfortunately I can't stand stinky cheeses, so bleu cheese is out for me. lol
  • gretlarson
    gretlarson Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Lots of good ideas here!! I have been looking for salad dressing recipes as well. I have been trying to control my sodium and I have found that salad dressings can have some pretty high sodium contents.
  • 13suzie
    13suzie Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    90% of the time I make my own dressing. I do this to avoid fillers and thickeners and mainly because it tastes so much better to me to use my homemade dressings!

My Easiest Daily Dressings:

GREEK QUICK DRESSING:
    1 part lemon juice + 1 part olive oil + generous amount of Penzey's Greek Seasoning // Shaking the mixture vigorously makes the dressing emulsify so that the oil and lemon juice get married!

- since I prefer organics when possible, I choose to use Whole Foods organic lemon juice (I think it's $2 for a bottle). It's pure lemon juice - nothing else is added; if I bought the equivalent in organic lemons, it would probably be like $40 of lemons! It's great to keep the lemon juice in the fridge and ready to go. I make this dressing every day. If you don't have pure lemon juice, use fresh lemons.
    - Penzey's sells their spices online. I buy 1 or 2 pound bags of the Greek seasoning. It lasts a really long time!

BALSAMIC RASPBERRY
    1 part balsamic vinegar + 1 part olive oil + handful of smashed raspberries + a little daub of honey (optional) // best bet is to toss with a tiny bit of gorgonzola cheese and red onion in you salad - the flavors mix really well. Gorg is high in calories but the trade off is that you can use a tiny amount and have a really high satisfying tasty impact! Walnuts - same thing...

Recipe tricks:
    Shake shake shake - that's the key to emulsifying without having emulsifiers!
    Room temperature - flavor always seems more robust when dressing is made to order and warms to room temperature after being in the fridge.

Every time a ranch dressing calls for milk, add either Greek yogurt (already mentioned in this thread) or buttermilk. The sourness is great!

Buy high quality vinegars and high quality oils whenever possible. The extra couple of dollars spent in a fine vinegar and oil pays off!

Store your oil in dark place. (Don't leave on the counter.) Ideally, olive oil from Spain usually is more robust than the olive oil form Italy. If you don't like olive oil, opt for walnut oil or simply buy an olive oil that isn't extra virgin or virgin - opting for light olive oil provides a neutral taste if you don't like the olive taste.
  • 13suzie
    13suzie Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    If you want a Japanese Ginger Dressing PM me. I am not at home w my recipes; if you like this dressing, I have an awesome recipe! Glad to share :smile:
  • judychicken
    judychicken Posts: 937 Member
    Options
    Great ideas for dressing Thanks!
  • Kidsonic
    Kidsonic Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I second the Greek yogurt as a base. I like to add finely chopped onion, parsley and Parmesan. If needed, I think it out with a little milk. Kind of like a tangy ranch, plus a good way to sneak a little extra protein into your salad.
  • ashleylmp
    ashleylmp Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    This idea changed my life haha:

Buy the dry hidden valley ranch seasoning packet. It calls for one cup milk and one cup mayo. Instead of mayo, put one cup cottage cheese in a blender. It's almost as thick as mayo, mix with fat free (or whatever you prefer) milk and seasoning. The entire recipe has something like 200 calories for two CUPS or dressing, compared to 150 for a couple tablespoons. Guilt free high protein dressing for those of us who don't love Greek yogurt dressings! :)
  • karendee4
    karendee4 Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    Lemon (or any citrus) Dressing

1 to 2 lemons juiced (I like it sour)
    1 tablespoon honey
    1 tablespoon (or 1/2 tablespoon works for me) Olive oil
    Herbs like salt, pepper, thyme, rosemary or basil

Pour all into a jar and shake.
  • dllewis7
    dllewis7 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Walden Farms has a whole line of 0 calorie dressings. You only need a little bit to get the hint of flavor. I used to have to buy these on line until my local natural market began selling them. My favorite flavors are: ranch, honey mustard, sesame ginger, balsamic.

Again, they are 0 cals!!! Using them during my weight loss really helps me still feel like I can eat flavorful salads and meats.

Walden Farms also has other 0 cal items like peanut butter and such. I tried those and yuck! Never used them. The pancake syrup they sell though and the chocolate syrup is okay.
  • Delquin
    Options
    13suzie, you reminded me that I have a Greek dressing mix in my cupboard that I'd forgotten about! It's from Penzey's - has anyone ever shopped there? I love Penzey's!

Here's the mix: http://www.penzeys.com/cgi-bin/penzeys/p-penzeysgreekseas.html
  • king1988
    king1988 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    bump
  • fitcrystal1121
    fitcrystal1121 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I know you say vinegar and oil are not your thing.. they are not mine either, but this is my all time face recipe for salad dressing. Its a kick off of the tangy tomato dressing from outback and its actually really good. It is a lot like a tangy Catalina..

Ingredients:

1/2 cup plus 1 tablespoon ketchup
    1/3 cup of water
    1/4 cup of granulated sugar
    1/4 cup of white vinegar ( I know but don't loose me yet!)
    2 tbl spoons of olive oil
    1/4 tea spoon paprika
    1/4 teaspoon coarse black pepper
    1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
    1/4 teaspoon of cayenne pepper ( I usually put a little less so there is not as much heat in the dressing)
    1/8 teaspoon onion powder
    Pinch of thyme

Directions: Combine all Ingredients in a small sauce pan over medium heat, bring to a boil, whisking often, then reduce heat and simmer, uncovered for 5 minutes. Cover dressing until cool, then pop it in the fridge to chill out.

Makes about a cup and 2 tablespoons is 57 calories

When you are cooking it, the olive oil will try to rise to the top and it will remind you of a balsamic and might seem unappetizing, but after it cools and is in the fridge it is awesome :)
  • Crowhorse
    Crowhorse Posts: 394 Member
    Options
    bump
  • libbydoodle11
    libbydoodle11 Posts: 1,351 Member
    Options
    Does anyone make their own dressing? I'd like to start doing it, but I'm not finding anything I like. I'm a creamy dressing lover - thousand island, honey mustard, ranch...you know, the extra fatty stuff.

I'd love to find a good, low cal, creamy dressing recipe to make. Vinegar and oil is not my thing.

This is one of my go to recipe inspirations: http://tinyurl.com/m59kv6t

I have not tried this one yet: http://tinyurl.com/kqytthw

Once you start making your own dressings I don't think you will buy store bought again. They taste so much better and are so simple to make.
  • runningforthetrain
    runningforthetrain Posts: 1,037 Member
    Options
    lo-Cal sesame dressing

Ingredients
    6 ounces lite firm silken tofu -- Mori-Nu
    1/4 cup water
    1 1/2 tablespoons cider vinegar
    2 tablespoons lemon juice
    2 teaspoons low-sodium soy sauce
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    1/4 teaspoon sesame oil
    1 tablespoon tahini (add more if you don't mind more fat)
    2 green onions, white parts removed, chopped
    1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley, packed
    1 large clove garlic

Blend all ingredients until smooth