Tennis (Elbow) Anyone?

Options
Gromssis
Gromssis Posts: 11 Member
Hi! I have had tennis elbow for 3 months or more and I am very frustrated as it is not getting better. I have the (single strap wrapping around your upper forearm) brace for tennis elbow and I wear it when sleeping, driving and other activities that aggravate it. At work I do not wear it because I am hoping not to have it become an issue with H&S. It was not caused at work, but I am at a computer all day, so this cannot be helping. Basically, I am wondering what hints you may have to help alleviate the stress on my injury so that it can heal. Would a sling help? When sleeping should it be straight as a board at my side or a bit bent and relaxed at my side. Should I bend the elbow tightly while sleeping on my side or should I let it flop in the most comfortable way? Nothing is comfortable, but I need advice on what the best positions are for best healing. I don't want to wear the brace all of the time, but am I wondering whether I am wearing it enough to be helpful? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Replies

• glreim21
    glreim21 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    I had to go to physiotherapy to help mine. The only thing that helped was stretching, ice and time. I only wore the brace when I was cross country skiing ( this was actually the cause of my 'tennis elbow'), but eventually I had to stop skiing for the season. It took close to 6 months to get better.
  • navygrrl
    navygrrl Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    Have you seen a doctor or orthopedist about this issue? You might need a sleep splint to help stabilize your elbow while you sleep. Your doctor will also probably prescribe an NSAID like voltaren to help with the healing. Unfortunately, these kinds of things take a long time to fully heal, although there should be some improvement after 6 weeks.
  • emdeesea
    emdeesea Posts: 1,823 Member
    Options
    Usually what's recommended is time, the use of heat/ice, and the use of anti-inflammatory medications (ibuprofen, naproxen), as the tendon heals VERY SLOWLY.

If it hasn't improved in 6 months, I would visit an ortho MD or sports medicine doc who specializes in elbows or upper extremities. You may have a tendon that is damaged beyond healing, but at this point, as it's only been 3 months, it's probably too soon to tell.
  • angelica_lisa
    angelica_lisa Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    When I had tennis elbow I went to the doctor, and he recommended PT. I couldn't laterally raise anything with that arm. The PT had me do strengthening exercises like machine weights and dumbells, and I rode a bike for warm ups. Then I went into a room where someone else did ultrasound treatment on my arm and heating pads for my shoulder, and then massaged my arm and shoulder with biofreeze. Also they told me to do exercises at home like extending my arms with my hands clasped and shake them, then do the same thing with a hammer or something similar. My insurance covered I think 8 sessions, but by the 6th one I felt almost good as new. This was in the span of I think 3-4 months.

I think yours is not healing is because you have really tight muscles that need to be massaged out, as well as build up the muscles so they don't get overworked again. When I had one of my treatments, it felt like a pebble was on the outer side of my elbow, and it HURT when the woman massaged it out.
  • bentbackwards
    bentbackwards Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    The only way to overcome is with specific tennis elbow exercises. No amount of drugs, icing, massage or wearing an elbow brace will truly help you recover.

Here are 4 tennis elbow exercises that you can get started with right away

http://www.tenniselbowtreatmenttips.com/tennis-elbow-exercises/

Hope this helps at least one person, as I know first hand how hard it is to overcome this injury not to mention the amount of money and time you can waste trying to treat it.

Good luck,
    Richard
  • TAsunder
    TAsunder Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    Can you switch your mouse to the other hand for a good portion of your week? that helped me with my issues somewhat.
  • granturismo
    granturismo Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    Go to a good physiotherapist. I have two arm braces and the better one has a hard plastic bean in the padding that presses into the sore area.
  • Jeneba
    Jeneba Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    Mine didn't improve until I got so disgusted that I just went right back to the gym and started lifting heavy again. I wouldn't recommend this for anybody else's body, though. I had the injury simultaneously in both arms. It was horrible and every single time I walked by a door-knob - you guessed it - I managed to jam it HARD right into one of the arms...

What I would recommend is massage therapy rather than PT if you can afford it. I found that because of the insurance fun & games, if I made a PT appointment, a half hour session would equal 20 minutes. And instead of just getting the muscle to stop spasming, there were all kinds of little inventive tricks-of-the-trade that didn't really help at all.

I would also think about acupuncture.

Finally, there are special "licorice stick" plastic twisting rods that you can get on Amazon that really target the area to strengthen it. With an injury like this, the more you lay off of use, the more the surrounding muscles atrophy and that only causes the injury to last longer.

Good luck to you! I really know how you feel!

:cry:
  • sumeetg37
    sumeetg37 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Having had mild tennis elbow from years of playing tennis the causes always seem to be bad technique, or weak muscles or both. What caused the injury? You may need bigger grips on your raquet or you may need to consider grip exercises if it's from something like gardening. I would look at your lifestyle to see what's causing it first you may be reinjuring yourself without even realizing it.