What would you do if You suddenly came into money?

Options
Dencrossgirl
Dencrossgirl Posts: 501 Member
I am not talking about what kind of car, house or thousands of shoes you would buy, but what would you do for others. This is what I would do: I would give my church, and lots of charities a big chunk, and then I would build a huge community centre and have fun programs for the kids, a fully loaded workout gym, have programs to teach families how to cook healthier and lead healthier lives. It would be so cool to have so much money that you could do stuff like that. Have to keep buying those lottery tickets.

Replies

• cflorkie
    cflorkie Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I would build the recycling centre my city seems so reluctant to approve!!! They literally put our recycling in the dump, because it's cheaper than shipping it to the recycling centre in the big city. And then they have the audacity to 'promote' recycling by only collecting garbage once every two weeks, and charging 150$ a year for recycling:huh:

come to think of it, I would do alot for my town. It's pretty @$$ backwards sometimes.
  • CarolHudson11
    Options
    Well, I have to admit I would buy a house on the beach. But, then I'd donate to St. Jude's Children's Research Hospital, and then (like you) I'd get a community center up and running for kids. :)
  • corey_e
    corey_e Posts: 162
    Options
    I would payoff mortgages for my close friends and family members. I would donate my time and money to Cancer research and the Humane Society. :heart:
  • Duganhorse
    Options
    I would start a horse rescue and a theraputic riding program at no cost to the students.
  • orting514
    orting514 Posts: 153
    Options
    Id donate to the Diabetese association, and Cancer research, both of those hit home to me, id also want to help the homeless.
  • bethvandenberg
    bethvandenberg Posts: 1,496 Member
    Options
    I'd buy up some mortgages that our service men and women are having a hard time keeping up with and gift them the house. :)
    I'd also donate to cancer research and help obese people find a new way. Try ti give people back a life that they can become more productive and feel good about what they're doing.
  • epoeraven
    epoeraven Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    I would buy my elderly folks a house with a live in maid and a cook!!!
  • YogaRunner
    YogaRunner Posts: 652 Member
    Options
    I would donate to the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society by providing matching funds to people who train for and successfully complete an endurance event, like half marathons, marathons, 100 mile bike rides, triathlons and such. So, if they raised the funds required for the event, I'd match it. That way, they have some skin in the game and know that if they do their part, it will be doubled.
    But, I'm not buying lottery tickets. Instead, I work full time at my job, and part time on my fortune. Soon, it will be the other way around. I will make it happen and the cool thing is that my fortune helps others get fit and healthy too.
  • NutritionDivaRD
    NutritionDivaRD Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    1) I would set up a scholarship program for single parents going back to school and entering the health industry (because this is MY field and what I'm passionate about).

2) I would go to culinary school with the intention that I could then take my knowledge of cooking AND nutrition (I already have a degree in nutrition) and then develop FREE cookbooks to give to low income families containing recipes using the ingredients they get at food banks as well as low cost ingredients they can get with food stamps. I would also give free cooking demonstrations in the community to teach the same low income families how to cook healthy meals at a lower cost.

3) I would set up a fitness center with fitness equipment at NO COST to the community and offer fitness classes to all who were interested.

4) Set up an annual summer camp for kids to learn about nutrition, exercise, and building a foundation for a healthy life. :) I would be at this camp every single summer because I LOVE KIDS!

5) I would pay off the mortgages of all my immediate family, buy my dream house, and take my family to Disney for an awesome vacay. Then I would get back home and get busy helping my community adopt healthier lifestyles!

Dang.....I sure better win a lot of money with a list like that, huh? ;)
  • LilynEdensmom
    LilynEdensmom Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    I'd get me a place with alot of land, and open an animal rescue. That has been my dream for ever.
    Donate to the humane society and the aspca
    and help my parents get out of debt
  • TrainerRobin
    TrainerRobin Posts: 509 Member
    Options
    I'd create a non-profit dedicated to educating folks about how to get themselves and their families healthy and build a fitness/rec center where folks could join for a reasonable amount and have personal training as an extra service for almost no extra cash -- and we'd have cooking lessons, grocery shopping lists, grocery store tours where you learn to shop for foods that make it almost foolproof to lose weight, and I'd do a bunch of advertising/outreach to help as many families and kids as possible. It would make it our goal to improve the health of our community and be a role model in this nation's fight against obesity.
  • chelsifina
    chelsifina Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    I am on the founding board of a nonprofit that is currently engaged in training Tibetan mental health care givers how to offer culturally sensitive therapy to their fellow Tibetans who have fled occupied Tibet, been tortured in prison, have lost family members, or suffered some other trauma. We've got the blessing of the Dalai Lama, the Prime Minister of Tibet, and others, but very little money (we've not yet written our grants or done our fundraising). I would give money to relatives, and put the rest into this. I've never before worked with such talented, good-hearted people. The Dept of Defense is looking at what we're doing and, if we're effective, we'll be helping our soldiers with PTSD. I feel so grateful to be included in this, I want to give as much as I can to it.
  • Scarletblue
    Options
    Wow Chelsifina very nice!
  • CelticDragon
    CelticDragon Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I would start a hospital and medical group for those without health care or with no way to pay for services, or whose insurance doesn't cover EVERYTHING. No-one would be turned away and they would be provided with the same quality of health care as afforded the wealthy of this country. Doctors and staff would care and no-one would ever just be a number.
  • christabeltoria
    christabeltoria Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    I have a fantasy of buying up a village, hiring local workers to move through and fix every house in it to acceptable standards, and make the place beautiful. Then I would build some kind of profit-sharing business venture that would provide sustainable employment for all, and move on to the next village and do it all over again. Now, Dencrossgirl, I see that I need to build a community activity centre too. Full employment, beautiful surroundings, and fitness! Sounds like a plan.
  • mutleyreid
    Options
    I would make sure there was always enough funds to help young people. I work for a local government and budgets for young people's services are taking a hit.
  • Gizmo52
    Gizmo52 Posts: 43
    Options
    My dream has been to buy acreage - find some homeless people willing to work to build a neighborhood and do just that. We'd build homes, stores, community center, bowling alley, movie theatre and it would be funded by my winnings and once built it would be mortgage free for the homeowners - AS LONG AS their property is kept up. We'd have inspections every two years and those not holding up their end of the bargain will have to pay to bring their property back up to standards.

I know pipe dream and so many people have thought my idea stupid - but you never know until you try.
  • Dlibo1013
    Dlibo1013 Posts: 883 Member
    Options
    Money talks but it can't sing and dance and it can't walk ;-) :smooched:
  • mommared53
    mommared53 Posts: 9,543 Member
    Options
    My dream has been to buy acreage - find some homeless people willing to work to build a neighborhood and do just that. We'd build homes, stores, community center, bowling alley, movie theatre and it would be funded by my winnings and once built it would be mortgage free for the homeowners - AS LONG AS their property is kept up. We'd have inspections every two years and those not holding up their end of the bargain will have to pay to bring their property back up to standards.

I know pipe dream and so many people have thought my idea stupid - but you never know until you try.

I don't think it's stupid at all. I've always fantasized about having enough money to provide housing for homeless people who really want to get back on their feet. Of course first I'd give 10% if my money to my church then help the homeless.
  • tasiac23
    tasiac23 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Hmmm....if i came into money I have to say that I would for sure go and buy a house for me and my daughter. I would create a ministry and build a big shelter for the homeless (something I've always wanted to do). I would also build a home for abused children to get them away from the abusers. Donate lots of money to St. Jude's cuz I love what they do for the children. I would help my parents with anything that they need. And of course, shop a little and hire a good personal trainer to help me get where I wanna be physically lol.