Avocadoes

Options
kathinky
kathinky Posts: 12 Member
Has anyone ever frozen a whole avocado? I have a windfall of them and no time to do anything else with them before they go bad.

Replies

• SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    Once ripened, you can freeze the avocado whole. These frozen avocados are best used for guacamole once you thaw it in the refrigerator or on the counter but can be used other places as well.

I haven't personally done it but I know I have frozen peppers and they were fine fried or in a sauce afterwards...just not cut and eaten.
  • jillyrose0711
    jillyrose0711 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I usually cut them into halves or quarters and peel the skin off and then they can keep for a few months in the freezers for things like guacamole. They're also great in smoothies! Not so much for things that you want to look "pretty"
  • kathinky
    kathinky Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    If all I can use them for after freezing them whole, is guacamole, I'm good with that!
  • nam985
    nam985 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    What about making some healthy pudding, and turning some into fudge pops? They are super easy to make and a great way to satisfy a craving for something cold and fudge-y.

4 ripe avocados, mashed
    ~ ⅓ c cocoa powder
    ¼-½ c honey (depending on how sweet you like it)
    almond milk (or any milk you like)
    add ins (optional) (chia seeds, shredded coconut, chopped nuts, etc.)

Mash avocados into a fine paste, mix in cocoa powder and honey, add in milk a bit at a time until desired consistency is reached. Stir in chia seeds or whatever add ins you choose, if any. Pop into the refrigerator for an hour or two. Makes 5 servings of pudding. I like to top mine with a dollop of light Cool Whip.

To turn these into fudge pops, just spoon some of the pudding into ice pop molds, add the stick and freeze overnight. I've made myself a little stockpile of these by taking them out of the molds once frozen, wrapping each one tightly with waxed paper and putting them into a large freezer bag.
  • smarieallen85
    smarieallen85 Posts: 535 Member
    Options
    ......ew
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    Mushed up avocados makes a great substitute for mayo or salad dressing in things like egg or chicken salad. You wouldn't have to use them only for guacamole (not that there is anything wrong with guacamole).