EGGS??

Options
So i entered in my breakfast for this morning which was 2 eggs scrambled and its telling me it had 140 Calories 15 grams of fat and 13 grams of protien..

Did i not enter in the correct one into my log? Seems like 15 grams of fat is a lot for 2 eggs.. Am i crazy in thinking this? are eggs not as good for you as i thought?

Please let me know your input on this.. Im really curious..

Thank you in Advance!
Corinne

Replies

• ckgis4me
    Options
    A large egg is usually only 4.5 - 5 grams of fat. Maybe the "scrambled" entry included cream without stating that. Some restaurants add cream to their scrambled eggs. I would go with the basic egg entry and add any other ingredients one-by-one.
  • HealthyishWithMaggieG
    Options
    I agree that I would add it ingredient-by-ingredient rather than "scrambled eggs". Who knows what that includes. I just checked my "My Foods" entry for the eggs I use (grade A jumbo size). For 2 jumbo eggs, they have:

calories: 180
    total fat: 10g
    saturated fat: 4g
    cholesterol: 540mg
    sodium: 160mg
    total carbs: 2g
    protein: 16g
    vitamin A: 16%
    calcium: 8%
    iron: 12%
  • mjd0109
    mjd0109 Posts: 152
    Options
    I don't know exact numbers but the yolk of an egg is where the majority of the calories, fat, and cholesterol are! Try just having egg whites, I separate the eggs myself. To add a little substance to your scrambled eggs you can beat a tablespoon or so of low fat milk per egg into the scramble. Hope that helps!
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    yep that's right. fat is in the yolk. I wouldn't worry about it too much though.
  • PRCatie
    PRCatie Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I also found eggs to have more calories that what I had believed. Have any of you tried the Egg Beaters? Are those better for us?
  • TrainerRobin
    TrainerRobin Posts: 509 Member
    Options
    I'm a believer in egg whites! On occasion, I'll use one egg and then add another six whites. But since that looks kind of blah (too white!) I add a touch of yellow food color and voila! It looks like like regular eggs for a fraction of the fat and calories and TONS of protein without the cholesterol. For me, a bit of sea salt and a bunch of green onion bits added in completes the "disguise". Love it!!
  • mjd0109
    mjd0109 Posts: 152
    Options
    I love adding a touch of cilantro too! Delicious!
  • menchi
    menchi Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    I think the others are right about the scrambled eggs having stuff other than just 2 eggs. I usually enter my eggs as hardboiled and if I use oil to scramble, I add that in separately. However, yes eggs really do have that many calories. I'm on the fence about having only whites though. You see, while the yolk does have lots of fat, it also has a lot good nutrients like iron, potassium and calcium since it's pretty much nutrients for the baby chick as it develops in the egg. So I usually bounce between two options: 1) remove some of the yolk and eat plenty of eggs (2 whites only, 1 whole egg), or 2) eat the whole egg but have eggs less often.
  • LoseItCorinne
    Options
    Ok, i guess i am not crazy. :0)

Thank you. I think i will try using the egg whites next time. I never have so it will be an adventure..
  • RMinVA
    RMinVA Posts: 1,085 Member
    Options
    Eggs are nutritionally dense. They only have 70 calories and are loaded with protein and good for you fats and minerals. That is a SMALL price to pay!! And definitely much better for you than the 100 calorie snack packs that everyone thinks are so wonderful.

I usually make a one egg, 2 egg white omelette or fritatta when I have them for breakfast. I can make a loaded omelette and have a piece of fruit for about 300 - 400 cals and be stuffed for the morning!! I usually keep a few boiled eggs in the fridge to grab for a salad or snack too

Skip the Egg Beaters...they are mostly egg whites so you can just separate your own eggs and save some money in the process.
  • kilroyscarnival
    kilroyscarnival Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Egg Beaters taste fine to me. They don't save you too much on the calories, but definitely on the cholesterol. The other handy thing about the Egg Beaters is that you pour from a carton, so you can measure just what you want, rather than adding one egg at a time.

I bought these VitaSandwich thingies from the supermarket freezer section, near the waffles and such. They were frozen pre-cooked egg-cheese wheat muffins, 150 cal each. The wrinkle, there were only two to a box, so a bit pricy for what you get. I am going to do Egg Beaters, 40 calorie bread slices, and some thin shaved ham instead of the cheese next time.

I think whole eggs are fine but you have to balance out the rest of your day. I had eggs for breakfast the other day, a spinach salad with a hard boiled egg crumbled in it for lunch, and then realized I needed very little protein for dinner. So I had a mostly vegetarian stir fry, with some very thin strips of leftover pot roast which added some flavor.
  • Val_from_OH
    Val_from_OH Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    Is there anything useful to do with just the egg yolks? I like eating egg whites, but feel so wasteful throwing away the yolks!
  • amycal
    amycal Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    Eggs are nutritionally dense. They only have 70 calories and are loaded with protein and good for you fats and minerals. That is a SMALL price to pay!! And definitely much better for you than the 100 calorie snack packs that everyone thinks are so wonderful.

I usually make a one egg, 2 egg white omelette or fritatta when I have them for breakfast. I can make a loaded omelette and have a piece of fruit for about 300 - 400 cals and be stuffed for the morning!! I usually keep a few boiled eggs in the fridge to grab for a salad or snack too

Skip the Egg Beaters...they are mostly egg whites so you can just separate your own eggs and save some money in the process.

I love this post! I too feel wasteful throwing away yolks so I bought some just plain egg whites in the carton. I don't think they were very expensive. I do make hard boiled eggs though and tried to give my dog the yolk - he didn't want it either.
  • Barneystinson
    Barneystinson Posts: 1,357 Member
    Options
    Fat (inluding that in egg yolk) is not inherently bad for you.
  • Lisa__Michelle
    Lisa__Michelle Posts: 845 Member
    Options
    They probably include butter if you cooked it in that. They also might have included cheese. I always do it by ingredient. So if I had 2 scrambled eggs I don't cook them in butter and I always but it under egg and then say 2.
  • Mindful_Trent
    Mindful_Trent Posts: 3,954 Member
    Options
    Fat (inluding that in egg yolk) is not inherently bad for you.

^^This!

The calories/fat/etc. you listed sound reasonable for 2 eggs. Yes, they have a bit of fat in them, but the protein and fat are a GREAT way to start your day - I feel much better starting my day with eggs than with a carb-centered breakfast like cereal and fruit. Saturated fat like that found in eggs/meat is NOT something to avoid at all costs - a moderate amount is perfectly healthy for you...it's the man-made trans fats that you really need to avoid (such as hydrogenated vegetable oils like that found in margarine).

Check out these pages for some great health benefits of eggs:
    http://www.healthdiaries.com/eatthis/10-health-benefits-of-eggs.htm
    http://www.whfoods.com/genpage.php?tname=foodspice&dbid=92
    (2nd one is longer, but worth the read!!)

A few highlights:
    -Eggs have nutrients that are great for our eyes, hair, nails, central nervous system and cardiovascular system.
    -One of the few foods that has naturally occuring Vitamin D
  • soysos
    soysos Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    generally speaking one large mass produced egg, home grown chickens usually lay fattier eggs, has 60 cal and 4g of fat. 2 eggs with a little milk scrambled in butter, or my favorite bacon fat yum, your talking about 140 10g of fat give or take. trow in a slice of toast with a little butter on it and a small bowl of fruit chock it up to 300 cal and 12g of fat. a very respectable breakfast. sure there are plenty of ways to cut the calories, and certainly the fat, but it wouldn't be nearly as satisfying, and you would loose most of the substances. so if you cut the fat you would feel hungry again a lot sooner.
  • soysos
    soysos Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    Is there anything useful to do with just the egg yolks? I like eating egg whites, but feel so wasteful throwing away the yolks!

custard, that is all.
  • Mindful_Trent
    Mindful_Trent Posts: 3,954 Member
    Options

custard, that is all.

Homemade mayo - I SO want to try this! I'd rather eat homemade mayo than some of the junk they put in commercially-made mayos...
    http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/mayonnaise-recipe/index.html
  • boymomthree
    boymomthree Posts: 28 Member
    Options

I love this post! I too feel wasteful throwing away yolks so I bought some just plain egg whites in the carton. I don't think they were very expensive. I do make hard boiled eggs though and tried to give my dog the yolk - he didn't want it either.

I agree whole heartedly with this poster. You are only having one or two at a time and proabaly not every day. It is a good fat and as long as you don't go crazy on quantity, you are just fine. I am not a fan of fake anything. Don't want the chemicals and heaven knows what else is in packaged food. Egg Beaters have a couple of chemical emulsifiers. I personally think I will stick to natural food.