5'0 trying to lose 35 lbs! Feedback and buddies!

Options
Hi all!

I'm 22 years old, 5'0, trying to lose about 35 lbs. I currently weigh 143 lbs. My ultimate goal is to weight 108 lbs, but my checkpoints for myself are 125 lbs and 118 lbs.

My plan is to eat around 1800 - 1900 calories, and doing Jillian Michael's 6 pack abs daily, on top of alternating No More Trouble Zones and Banish Fat daily. I'll go hiking every now and then for an adventure.
I have a lot of time on my hands right now so I'm devoting it to working out and losing weight before I head out to grad/prof. school!

Ideally I want to lose weight at a rate of 1.5 lb a week, at least starting off.
But realistically, It may be at a rate of 1 lb a week. What do you all think?

Any thoughts on my plan? Feedback and buddies are much appreciated!

Replies

• Jazzie92
    Jazzie92 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Hi, I'm in the same boat as you. I need to lose 30 pounds and I'm doing the couch to 5k right now and when I get home from college in May I'm going to start insanity. I'm going to start at 1600 calories
  • georgina1970
    georgina1970 Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    You're young, so use this to your advantage. Work out your TDEE (total daily expected expenditure) and subtract 20%. This figure is your daily goal.
    Don't overdo the cardio. Include some resistance/weight training (muscle burns more calories at rest than fat.)
    Try and eat as many whole foods (cooked/raw) as possible (green and other coloured vegetables.) Avoid processed foods, and foods high in sugars and saturated fats. Balance with protien to stop hunger pangs.
  • LjdcIdeal108
    Options
    Definitely - I heard that No More Trouble Zones leans more towards strength training. If not I'll probably supplement/alternate with weight training for those days.

For TDEE - what do you put as level of activity? Do you account for the exercise in level of activity?
    Is there a way to estimate the rate of weight loss through that? Not entirely necessary for me to know, and I know you can't totally predict that. But just out of curiosity.

And just to be sure - I should at least NET my BMR - correct?
  • katm370
    katm370 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Hi I'm 49 years old and needed to loose 28lb for my 50th in may.... I'm 5.1inch ..
    working out your daily calories you need to eat 1350 to loose 1lb a week, also
    exercise 30 mins a day... I walk 2km to my lift in morning then 4km as i get dropped off further from home at 5pm.

swim 30min , now i can manage an hour once a week..
    good luck
    kat
    scotland
  • francescaisepic
    Options
    Oh hey! I'm 24, 5"1', looking to lose 33lbs in total. I'm starting at 150lbs so our goals are very similar!

I think 1lb is realistic per week, you don't want to overdo it and burn yourself out. I know we all get excited at the prospect of losing weight, but think of it as a long term thing to firstly get the weight off then to maintain that weight :)

Good luck!
  • LjdcIdeal108
    Options
    Eat 1350 and eat back exercise calories yeah?

With my workout plan I should be burning 400-500 calories a day. So that puts me around 1750-1850 calories to consume daily.. Which is pretty much the same as the TDEE - 20 % that factors in my workout.

And thanks! Yeah slow and steady is better. If I lose more, great but I don't want to overdo it!
  • freemystery
    freemystery Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    Hello I'm in the same place! I'm a short girl, just a nudge over 5 feet and looking to drop about 30lbs.

One thing I'll say, and this is through trial and error, when you're short and you're looking to lose a moderate amount of weight it's a struggle. I'm realising that I have to be super accurate about logging. I'm looking at 3 weeks of stalled loss, I know some of that is natural fluctuations and it won't be linear etc but just a heads up not to get disheartened if it's slow going!

(FYI, I'm a hypocrite. I'm super disheartened that I've been avoiding the krispy kreme box at work for three weeks and all for nothing!)

Feel free to add me and good luck!!
  • georgina1970
    georgina1970 Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    Definitely - I heard that No More Trouble Zones leans more towards strength training. If not I'll probably supplement/alternate with weight training for those days.

For TDEE - what do you put as level of activity? Do you account for the exercise in level of activity?
    Is there a way to estimate the rate of weight loss through that? Not entirely necessary for me to know, and I know you can't totally predict that. But just out of curiosity.

And just to be sure - I should at least NET my BMR - correct?

That's right, don't go below BMR.
    For TDEE you can use a formula to include exercise if you're consistent with daily exercise. I prefer to calculate TDEE based on minimum activity levels and then eat back some calories from exercise. I recommend using a heart rate monitor to calculate calories burnt. MFP exercise values are based on an average height/weight ratio which are somewhat high for those of us in the petite height range.
  • Amberh82
    Amberh82 Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    I am 4'10, 31 years old and also started needing to lose 30 pounds...I'm already 10 pounds down...so 20 more to go. I have a desk job but try to get up and move as much as possible. I normally eat around 1300-1600 calories a day based on my activity (I burn in a 24 hour period between 1500 (couch potato) to 2100 calories a day)...I also have a fibit that I always wear and a HRM so I know approximately how many calories I burn in a day...plus now I also have an idea that based on what type of workout I decide to do, how many calories I will burn and can eat in a day...I have noticed that TDEE is fairly accurate on how many calories you burn throughout the day (24 hour period)...so subtract 20% or just eat 500 calories less than what it says (which is about what I do) and you should be ok and lose around 1 pound a week on average...but do not eat below your BMR like others mentioned
  • katm370
    katm370 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Iv now lost 10kilo and looking forward to my american holiday ...