Foam rolling or maybe not

Options
I am new to strength training, or any consecutive exercise at all (previous lazy monster and chronic excuse maker), so I am experiencing quite a lot of muscle aches after weights and leg workouts. I can handle the pain, but I don't want it to prevent me from giving my all at the next session. I have heard/read quite a bit about the benefits of foam rolling. The issue- I don't have a foam roller. I have read that you can actually preform the same techniques using your hands. Can anyone advise me on how to do that? My biggest complaint are my thighs- they are persistent whiners, and I'd like to shut them up.

Advice? I'll take it!

Replies

• TAsunder
    TAsunder Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    Depending on what part of your thighs, you might try a screwdriver handle. A foam roller is actually kind of hard to use there because of the bones in the area.

http://www.runnersworld.com/injury-prevention-recovery/self-massage-runners-way
  • LiveLoveLift67
    LiveLoveLift67 Posts: 895 Member
    Options
    I use a foam roller every day for my back, glutes, and all of my thigh areas. Some areas are trickier and smaller and you can also use a hard ball like a raquet ball or a tennis ball to isolate the knotted areas. I foam roll before and after exercise and even through out the day if i have time.
  • AsaThorsWoman
    AsaThorsWoman Posts: 2,303 Member
    Options
    My boyfriend just bought me a foam roller but we didn't use it!

Dang it!

Time to do that!
  • BigT555
    BigT555 Posts: 2,067 Member
    Options
    use a tennis ball
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    they range from 15$-50+ and can be purchased on line or in stores- Target/Marshall's has a good selection usually.

A PVC pipe wrapped in duct tape is an option if you are up for it (much less give- don't recommend if you are new to rolling)

A tiger tail- less expensive- more labor intensive- but a good hand option

I use LAX balls- they are 2.99 a piece- can get them at Dks sporting goods or any other sports store- easy to use and very transportable.

Wine bottles- also can be used as well.

Anything that rolls can be used.
  • steve0820
    steve0820 Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    I would recommend a foam roller. You can find them for $20-30. It does have its benefits.

Also, warming up properly before strength training and working on mobility will help tremendously. Depending on what your training, I warm up with bodyweight exercises that mimic the exercise I'll be doing, and lifting with the empty bar.

Joe Defranco has some good mobility info:

http://www.defrancostraining.com/ask_joe/archives/ask_joe_08-10-03.html
  • BigT555
    BigT555 Posts: 2,067 Member
    Options
    they range from 15$-50+ and can be purchased on line or in stores- Target/Marshall's has a good selection usually.

A PVC pipe wrapped in duct tape is an option if you are up for it (much less give- don't recommend if you are new to rolling)

I use LAX balls- they are 2.99 a piece- can get them at Dks sporting goods or any other sports store- easy to use and very transportable.

lol i know it would more than likely never break but i would never trust a wine bottle. my *kitten* hurts enough from squats without shards of glass in it
  • DR2501
    DR2501 Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    use a tennis ball

This. I have a foam roller too but for some muscles tennis balls are great. For example the calves, just sitting at the edge of a chair with a ball under your sole and rolling it around greatly eases calf DOMS!
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options
    I use whatever works. I happen to have a foam roller and a pinky ball, and use them to keep me on the road. If I had to choose just one, I would choose the pinky ball, because it is so versatile.
  • wkwebby
    wkwebby Posts: 807 Member
    Options

Foam rolling as a newbie to the whole rolling process will be painful no matter which option (the homemade or store bought rollers). As a person who was introduced to this by my trainer a few years ago, I can attest that it does get easier but only after consistent usage. The pain is so intense on those areas that you've never "massaged out" before, it is very easy to quit. But it is so worth it once you get used to that initial pain. The next day you'll love it even more! I'd suggest perhaps wrapping a towel around the harder objects (just to soften it up a little) if you go with the home made rollers. The balls are even more intense with the pain because it is focused on one tiny area, I'd recommend only using those after a little bit of the longer rollers (in length).

I'd suggest finding an object at least 6" in length to spread out the pain a little bit. Consider the pain to be like a deep tissue massage.
  • levitateme
    levitateme Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    Honestly, I don't know how I lived my life without a foam roller now that I own one. I roll out my hamstrings, quads, back delts, inner thighs, glutes, everything - it's also helping me work on my core strength. When you roll from the back of your upper thighs all the way up over your butt to your midback, you're forced to use your core to keep yourself from collapsing.

They are relatively cheap, I got one for ~35. Now that I am more experienced and like the good pain, I might get myself a PVC pipe. I heard about them on another fitness forum - sounds cheap and super sturdy.
  • SteamRoller72
    SteamRoller72 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    The foam roller is a God send! Not only can you use it on quads and calves, but it works wonders for your upper back muscles. Highly recommend for anyone who sits all day and is a runner/cyclist. This is a link to the one I own from GAIAM.

http://www.gaiam.com/spri-18"-sports-performance-roller/07-70725.html?start=12&q=foam rollers
  • suremeansyes
    suremeansyes Posts: 962 Member
    Options
    I love my foam roller.

Well, I hateithateithateithateitHATEIT, then love it. I use mine almost every day. Sometimes I forget to.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    I have yet to get one myself (maybe this weekend) I have used my rolling pin 2x...and it helped but

I did some research tho as I have had injuries from massage and basically this is what it is but doing it yourself...

http://dailyburn.com/life/fitness/common-foam-rolling-mistakes/

Just highlights from the aritcle.

Mistake #1: You roll directly where you feel pain.
    Mistake #2: You roll too fast.
    Mistake #3: You spend too much time on those knots.
    Mistake #4: You have bad posture
    Mistake #5: You use the foam roller on your lower back.

and with anything else I think that before I do any foam rolling watch videos...get suggestions from those who are in the know.
  • maroonmango211
    maroonmango211 Posts: 908 Member
    Options
    use a tennis ball

I actually have a foam roller that works well for some areas but for most i actually prefer a tennis ball.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options

Foam rolling as a newbie to the whole rolling process will be painful no matter which option (the homemade or store bought rollers). As a person who was introduced to this by my trainer a few years ago, I can attest that it does get easier but only after consistent usage. The pain is so intense on those areas that you've never "massaged out" before, it is very easy to quit. But it is so worth it once you get used to that initial pain. The next day you'll love it even more! I'd suggest perhaps wrapping a towel around the harder objects (just to soften it up a little) if you go with the home made rollers. The balls are even more intense with the pain because it is focused on one tiny area, I'd recommend only using those after a little bit of the longer rollers (in length).

I'd suggest finding an object at least 6" in length to spread out the pain a little bit. Consider the pain to be like a deep tissue massage.

True true- I think it's important to know it does hurt- and not like a little mild discomfort- it legitimately hurts LOL_ but it feels better after- and with usage it gets better.
  • andrewptr1
    andrewptr1 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I think its a great help. I have a tight IT band/ tendons around my hip that cause discomfort and rolling them out helps a lot. Also i noticed foam rollers to be getting more expensive so i found a large sturdy cardboard tube at my job which worked out great. Little painful but feels great after
  • ShibaEars
    ShibaEars Posts: 3,928 Member
    Options
    use a tennis ball

That's what I was going to suggest :)

I also agree with the poster who said they hateithateithateithateitHATEIT, then love it :laugh:
  • Glynneybug
    Glynneybug Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    My mother in law used to use her rolling pin before she got a foam roller- just don't push as hard! Good luck lady and way to make those legs burn!!!
  • trishalackin
    trishalackin Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    use a tennis ball

How? :) Do you roll the ball directly over the tender spots? And for how long? What I have read has said 5-30 seconds but that seems vague..