Ray Rice gets two game suspension

Options

Replies

• Swaggs51
    Swaggs51 Posts: 716 Member
    Options
    Josh Gordon is facing a year suspension for marijuana compared to Rice's 2 game suspension for punching a woman in the face and knocking her unconscious.

How does everyone feel about that?

The reason why is because one breaks the NFL rules, one doesn't. Just like your job wouldn't fire you for hitting a woman most likely, but you could get fired for failing a drug test. ****ty, but that's how it is.

Its truly is ****ty and off the charts as far as the level of hypocrisy goes.....even for the NFL.

NFL claims to be "family friendly" where wardrobe malfunctions are a sheer travesty that ruins entire families lives. The NFL has also placed an extremely high emphasis on player safety, and concussions in particular. Many players have stated that they use marijuana for pain management (and will continue whether its legal or not) and has been shown to provide other medical benefits; yet its more important to focus on the stigma that it carries from years of negative propaganda. But I agree, for now, at the moment, its not allowed and people should accept the consequences. But there should also be consequences to aggravated assault ....

Here the NFL is offered an opportunity to maintain itself as a "family friendly" organization and be consistent with its decisions for disciplinary action for conduct off the field. (which I am pretty sure breaks NFL rules) It failed miserably. After seeing a measly 2 game suspension for this, what kind of message is this sending to the general public (especially after hearing repeatedly from the commissioners office that off the field misconduct will not be tolerated). Players have been "dismissed from the team" for BEING LATE TO PRACTICE. http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/01/11/report-patriots-put-spikes-on-ir-after-he-was-late-to-practice/ So what this says to me is that the NFL places no more emphasis on one of its players punching women in the face as it does in missing team meetings. The only thing I have to say to that it is that its FN BS.

Apparently the Domestic Violence Batterers' Treatment Program needs to be retaken every few years.
    0817-chad-johnson-certificate-2.jpg

2 years ago Chad Johnson allegedly headbutted his then wife. The headbutt allegedly was severe enough to cause bleeding and she had to go to the hospital. The NFLs reaction? Nothing. The Miami Dolphins released him soon after that and he was never disciplined further by the league. Chad is now playing professional football in Canada.

Suspensions cost the players money. It then becomes a union thing, which has already been negotiated. They can't just take money out of your pocket for something you did outside of your job, especially when charges were not filed, and he didn't go to jail.

Yeah, its a good thing Ray Rice didnt hit his wife with the crown of his helmet, otherwise it would have been a 5 game suspension and $100,000 fine

truth. no more speering for RBs

PS... GO BILLS
  • Menix8
    Menix8 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    Josh Gordon is facing a year suspension for marijuana compared to Rice's 2 game suspension for punching a woman in the face and knocking her unconscious.

Don't blame the NFL for that.

The players association negotiated all drug related penalties in the collective bargaining agreement in 2010.

Wait, why can't people blame the NFL? If the NFL thought domestic violence should be a punishable offense, then wouldn't they have rules regarding it? I confess I'm not super clear on the politics behind pro-sports, but this is how it would work in any other situation.

"Oh, people are protesting and upset over something that just happened? Well, let's make a law/rule to prevent that from happening again."

Because the union and the NFL negotiate rules together. The NFL can't just say something and have it happen just like that.

Thanks to my World Cup streaming-happy co-workers, all sports-related websites have been blocked on my office computer, so I can't look at the players unions page, but Wikipedia says the last collective bargaining agreement (CBA) was in 2011; and boy, do I remember that CBA (resulted in the lockout). I couldn't find any info regarding how often they re-visit terms.

I think fans' best bet would be to get all up in arms next time they negotiate. Unless the NFL and union can negotiate terms any time they want in the offseason? Pre-season starts too soon to do anything about it this year, if that's the case...

And as long as we're talking football, Percy Harvin you best be taking care of yourself this season.
  • Boobietrap1337
    Boobietrap1337 Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    Agree...................... ...never hit a woman.

You shouldn't hit people. Man, woman...transgender...anyone.

Unless it's roller derby. :)
  • sixout
    sixout Posts: 3,129 Member
    Options
    Yeah, its a good thing Ray Rice didnt hit his wife with the crown of his helmet, otherwise it would have been a 5 game suspension and $100,000 fine

Yea, let's be mad at rules that are agreed upon and negotiated to abide by contract laws, instead of being mad at the fact that the woman didn't press charges and married him after this incident.

Do people get fired from their jobs for domestic abuse? No. Because it's a legal thing, not a work thing. It's a ****ty situation all around, and yea, he's a POS, but the fact remains that he didn't break an NFL established rule.
  • BoatsnHose
    BoatsnHose Posts: 120 Member
    Options
  • BoatsnHose
    Options
    Thanks to my World Cup streaming-happy co-workers, all sports-related websites have been blocked on my office computer, so I can't look at the players unions page, but Wikipedia says the last collective bargaining agreement (CBA) was in 2011; and boy, do I remember that CBA (resulted in the lockout). I couldn't find any info regarding how often they re-visit terms.

I think fans' best bet would be to get all up in arms next time they negotiate. Unless the NFL and union can negotiate terms any time they want in the offseason? Pre-season starts too soon to do anything about it this year, if that's the case...

And as long as we're talking football, Percy Harvin you best be taking care of yourself this season.

Get up in arms about what? It's football not the boy scouts. This is a violent game played by (often) unintelligent athletes for our entertainment. The vast majority of NFL fans want to see the best players out there and don't care one bit about off the field issues.
    [/quote]
  • sixout
    Options

Don't blame the NFL for that.

The players association negotiated all drug related penalties in the collective bargaining agreement in 2010.

Wait, why can't people blame the NFL? If the NFL thought domestic violence should be a punishable offense, then wouldn't they have rules regarding it? I confess I'm not super clear on the politics behind pro-sports, but this is how it would work in any other situation.

"Oh, people are protesting and upset over something that just happened? Well, let's make a law/rule to prevent that from happening again."

Because the union and the NFL negotiate rules together. The NFL can't just say something and have it happen just like that.

I don't think the players association would care what the fans thought, honestly. But Eric Winston is heading up the NFLPA now, and he's big on things like this, so there may be some changes, who knows.

And yea, Percy needs to take care of his damn legs. Or whatever is always hurt.
  • _Pseudonymous_
    _Pseudonymous_ Posts: 1,671 Member
    Options
    All I know is that these people are overpaid, over-admired, and over-valued for the most part. There are great athletes that are worth our admiration but for the most part I think it's a bunch fo crap. And I actually LIKE sports. These are people that are looked up to. Admired. Kids aspire to be them. Then these people go around and do some crap things.

Dang I'm hangry today or something...
  • KseRz
    KseRz Posts: 980 Member
    Options
    Some people aren't understanding this

Drug violation - violation of NFL rules with an established punishment
    Uniform issue - violation of NFL rules with an established punishment
    Domestic violence - not a violation of NFL rules with no established punishment and is at the discretion of the commissioner.

Again, the players union and the league negotiate these things. If fans don't like these rules and feel so strongly against them, they can stop supporting the NFL.

What you dont understand is Domestic violence = Off the field misconduct = violation of NFL personal conduct policy.

Personal Conduct Policy
    All persons associated with the NFL are required to avoid “conduct detrimental to the integrity of
    and public confidence in the National Football League.” This requirement applies to players,
    coaches, other team employees, owners, game officials and all others privileged to work in the
    National Football League

For many years, it has been well understood that rules promoting lawful, ethical, and
    responsible conduct serve the interests of the League, its players, and fans. Illegal or
    irresponsible conduct does more than simply tarnish the offender. It puts innocent people at risk,
    sullies the reputation of others involved in the game, and undermines public respect and support
    for the NFL.

Standard of Conduct:
    While criminal activity is clearly outside the scope of permissible conduct, and persons who
    engage in criminal activity will be subject to discipline, the standard of conduct for persons
    employed in the NFL is considerably higher. It is not enough simply to avoid being found guilty
    of a crime. Instead, as an employee of the NFL or a member club, you are held to a higher
    standard and expected to conduct yourself in a way that is responsible, promotes the values
    upon which the League is based, and is lawful.

Persons who fail to live up to this standard of conduct are guilty of conduct detrimental and
    subject to discipline, even where the conduct itself does not result in conviction of a crime.

Discipline may be imposed in any of the following circumstances:
    • Criminal offenses including, but not limited to, those involving: the use or threat of violence;
    domestic violence and other forms of partner abuse;
    theft and other property crimes; sex
    offenses; obstruction or resisting arrest; disorderly conduct; fraud; racketeering; and money
    laundering;
    • Criminal offenses relating to steroids and prohibited substances, or substances of abuse;
    • Violent or threatening behavior among employees, whether in or outside the workplace;
    • Possession of a gun or other weapon in any workplace setting, including but not limited to
    stadiums, team facilities, training camp, locker rooms, team planes, buses, parking lots, etc., or
    unlawful possession of a weapon outside of the workplace;
    • Conduct that imposes inherent danger to the safety and well being of another person; and
    • Conduct that undermines or puts at risk the integrity and reputation of the NFL, NFL clubs, or
    NFL players

http://nfllabor.files.wordpress.com/2013/06/personal-conduct-policy.pdf

You know. Kind of like when owners of football teams. Like Jim Irsay drive drunk and under the influence of prescription drugs. As long as he says sorry and enters rehab the NFL wont do anything.

NFL has a policy.....and selectively enforces the policy.

I dont have a problem with the rules. They are there in black and white. What I have a problem with is the hypocrisy
  • Menix8
    Menix8 Posts: 210 Member
    Options

Get up in arms about what? It's football not the boy scouts. This is a violent game played by (often) unintelligent athletes for our entertainment. The vast majority of NFL fans want to see the best players out there and don't care one bit about off the field issues.

The NFL has really tried in recent years to make football a family-friendly all American sport again, and the fact that they're suspending Rice AT ALL means they recognize how bad this is for their image. They're not worried about current NFL fans, they're worried about attracting new fans.

And duh, if the fans don't care enough, then nothing will happen. But if they do care, they should make a stink about it at the appropriate time when they actually have a chance in hell to effect the rules.
  • sixout
    Options

Domestic violence - not a violation of NFL rules with no established punishment and is at the discretion of the commissioner.

Again, the players union and the league negotiate these things. If fans don't like these rules and feel so strongly against them, they can stop supporting the NFL.

What you dont understand is Domestic violence = Off the field misconduct = violation of NFL personal conduct policy.

Personal Conduct Policy
    All persons associated with the NFL are required to avoid “conduct detrimental to the integrity of
    and public confidence in the National Football League.” This requirement applies to players,
    coaches, other team employees, owners, game officials and all others privileged to work in the
    National Football League

You know. Kind of like when owners of football teams. Like Jim Irsay drive drunk and under the influence of prescription drugs. As long as he says sorry and enters rehab the NFL wont do anything.

I dont have a problem with the rules. They are there in black and white. What I have a problem with is the hypocrisy

Owners don't fall under the CBA.

Also, the Ravens would have over 14 million in dead cap space if they cut Ray Rice as per his contract, so they can't just cut him.
  • sixout
    Options
    All I know is that these people are overpaid, over-admired, and over-valued for the most part. There are great athletes that are worth our admiration but for the most part I think it's a bunch fo crap. And I actually LIKE sports. These are people that are looked up to. Admired. Kids aspire to be them. Then these people go around and do some crap things.

As long as they keep making money for owners, they'll keep getting more money. Not all of them are like that though, the NFL should really have a class or something in place for when players come out of college and are suddenly rich, and how to handle it without being an *kitten*.
  • KseRz
    KseRz Posts: 980 Member
    Options

Personal Conduct Policy
    National Football League

Also, the Ravens would have over 14 million in dead cap space if they cut Ray Rice as per his contract, so they can't just cut him.

I edited my post. I dont care what the CBA says. I referenced the NFL conduct policy which applies to EVERYONE. Even cheerleaders and secretaries who arent part of the NFLPA.
  • Swaggs51
    Swaggs51 Posts: 716 Member
    Options

Personal Conduct Policy
    National Football League

yeah u just cant cut a player. it hurts the entire organization/ doesnt hurt that player who can then be picked up by someone else therefore you have to pay for someone who isnt there and not putting a product out there to attract fans. is a ****ty thing but cant go around it
  • BoatsnHose
    Options

I disagree that they are overpaid.

You are worth what someone is willing to pay you, so it is hard to say they are overpaid
  • T_Roc
    T_Roc Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Should be at least 8 games

this
  • kevinmroberts
    Options
    the NFL system is like the justice system. it's a joke.

http://breakingfootball.com/
  • boredlimodriver
    boredlimodriver Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    Biggest thugs in sports are in the NFL. Killing people, covering up murders. crazy. These are not people we should look up to
  • sixout
    Options

Personal Conduct Policy
    National Football League

I edited my post. I dont care what the CBA says. I referenced the NFL conduct policy which applies to EVERYONE. Even cheerleaders and secretaries who arent part of the NFLPA.

You may not care, but the way players are handled is directly regulated by the CBA and the players association. The NFL can make all the rules it wants, but until they get the union to agree to them as well, they can't enforce them.