Ray Rice gets two game suspension

Options

Replies

• sixout
    sixout Posts: 3,129 Member
    Options
    Biggest thugs in sports are in the NFL. Killing people, covering up murders. crazy. These are not people we should look up to

Yup, no one from any other sport has ever done anything wrong.
  • Coltsforlife
    Coltsforlife Posts: 124
    Options
    I think its fair , The woman married the guy after and never pressed charges .
  • phantasmagical
    phantasmagical Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    [/quote]

"You shouldn't hit people. Man, woman...transgender...anyone.

Unless it's roller derby. :)"
    [/quote]

This!! People shouldn't hit other people, regardless of gender. Also, roller derby is cool.

ETA: the above bit should be in quotes...not sure what I did to mess it up.
  • Menix8
    Menix8 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    Biggest thugs in sports are in the NFL. Killing people, covering up murders. crazy. These are not people we should look up to

Thank you for proving my point. ^^^^ This is why the NFL is suspending Rice for two games despite domestic violence not being covered in the official rules. And this is why they might considered amending them at the next negotiation. A lot of people think this way, and the NFL (as a business) doesn't like it.
  • _Pseudonymous_
    _Pseudonymous_ Posts: 1,671 Member
    Options
    All I know is that these people are overpaid, over-admired, and over-valued for the most part. There are great athletes that are worth our admiration but for the most part I think it's a bunch fo crap. And I actually LIKE sports. These are people that are looked up to. Admired. Kids aspire to be them. Then these people go around and do some crap things.

Dang I'm hangry today or something...

I disagree that they are overpaid.

You are worth what someone is willing to pay you, so it is hard to say they are overpaid

That being said, their vallue to me... is still considerably less than what they are getting paid for. So yes, I will stick to the being overpaid. IN MY OPINION.
  • BoatsnHose
    BoatsnHose Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    All I know is that these people are overpaid, over-admired, and over-valued for the most part. There are great athletes that are worth our admiration but for the most part I think it's a bunch fo crap. And I actually LIKE sports. These are people that are looked up to. Admired. Kids aspire to be them. Then these people go around and do some crap things.

You are worth what someone is willing to pay you, so it is hard to say they are overpaid

That being said, their vallue to me... is still considerably less than what they are getting paid for. So yes, I will stick to the being overpaid. IN MY OPINION.

Just curious, but why do you think their pay exceeds their value? If you were one of the best people on the planet at what you do and were a large part of a multi billion dollar company, how much do you think your value would be?
  • ShannonS921
    ShannonS921 Posts: 194
    Options
    Was there ever any "proof" of him punching her? I remember seeing the pics/videos of her unconscious in the elevator, but I didn't see him actually hit her. I AM NOT SAYING IT'S OK, so don't even start...I was just asking because I may have missed something.

I was in a physically abusive relationship for 6 years. There comes a point where you are both to blame. Marrying the man that beat you unconscious puts some of that blame squarely on her. It sends a message that it's acceptable behavior because you stick around for it.

I'm sure as hell not condoning it in any way, but she didn't press charges, there was no sort of conviction, so what grounds does the NFL have to punish him? Photographs that are grainy and inconclusive? It's not supposed to work that way...
  • _Pseudonymous_
    Options

Just curious, but why do you think their pay exceeds their value? If you were one of the best people on the planet at what you do and were a large part of a multi billion dollar company, how much do you think your value would be?

When there are people out there actually putting their life at risk to keep us safe and making an average salary of $45, 000 dollars I think it is ridiculous that people are paid $1.9 million (average) for playing a game, that they generally enjoy and would do in their free time anyway. Mind you there is some danger in it but they also have top of the line medical. That being said, I don't think any athletes should be paid $1 mil or more. Ever. I'm sorry but I don't. I understand that they bring in revenue and people are shilling out ridiculous amounts of money to these legues and associations to see them play but i have always believed that there should be a salary cap. I'm an idealist though and think there are people out there worth a lot more than they ever get paid or doing better work.

Now, I do realize that they all choose to go down these career paths and accept the pay. I also realize that this is how capitalism works. I understand all of that and how it works but that doesn't mean that I have to accept that these peopel should be worth that much. In my eyes they are not worth that much and I place much more worth in other people.

*shrugs* You don't have to agree and we can argue this all day but that's my stand point.
  • KseRz
    KseRz Posts: 980 Member
    Options
    Still a solid fantasy pick.

LOL whut? :huh:

He ran for 660 yds last year, breaking 100 yds only once and only had 1 multi TD game performance all season.

Danny Woodhead is a better fantasy option.
  • headofphat
    headofphat Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options
    Still a solid fantasy pick.

He was ranked 51 amongst running backs last year.
  • headofphat
    Options

When there are people out there actually putting their life at risk to keep us safe and making an average salary of $45, 000 dollars I think it is ridiculous that people are paid $1.9 million (average) for playing a game, that they generally enjoy and would do in their free time anyway. Mind you there is some danger in it but they also have top of the line medical. That being said, I don't think any athletes should be paid $1 mil or more. Ever. I'm sorry but I don't. I understand that they bring in revenue and people are shilling out ridiculous amounts of money to these legues and associations to see them play but i have always believed that there should be a salary cap. I'm an idealist though and think there are people out there worth a lot more than they ever get paid or doing better work.

Now, I do realize that they all choose to go down these career paths and accept the pay. I also realize that this is how capitalism works. I understand all of that and how it works but that doesn't mean that I have to accept that these peopel should be worth that much. In my eyes they are not worth that much and I place much more worth in other people.

*shrugs* You don't have to agree and we can argue this all day but that's my stand point.

We get that your opinion is that they are overpaid. What's hard to understand is how your opinion can be in direct conflict with your claim that you understand how Capitalism works.

:flowerforyou:

*edited to give you a flower
  • Derp_Diggler
    Derp_Diggler Posts: 1,456 Member
    Options

+1. the fact that society values entertainment more than bravery and medical breakthroughs doesn't make it any more ridiculous. At one time people born into royalty were considered a national treasure and people gladly died in their honour. Seems pretty stupid now though doesn't it?
  • _Pseudonymous_
    Options
    We get that your opinion is that they are overpaid. What's hard to understand is how your opinion can be in direct conflict with your claim that you understand how Capitalism works.

Just because I get capitalism doesn't mean that I openly accept and like everything about it.
  • k8blujay2
    k8blujay2 Posts: 4,941 Member
    Options
    Honestly am not surprised as I have heard of players hitting their own mama's (alledgedly) and it played off as a "character flaw" and "who care's he's a great player".... and players practically murdering other people and getting off way easier than other folks...

Which is why I don't really care for the NFL... or Pro sports... AT ALL...

Give me a college team where they kick players off for not going to class... or making deals with a local business to come down and sign autographs. Sure they have their problems too but they are more likely to be punished than pro-ball players are.
  • dabears6352
    dabears6352 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I think the 2 game suspension is crap. I love football, but I will be the first to admit the entire world of professional sports has become nothing more than money and fame. Back in the day people played sports for the love of the game. Now we have professional athletes whining about not getting as much as someone else, or pouting and not attending camp. Come on, if someone asked me to be a 2nd string and sit my *kitten* on the bench for a cool million, I'd be happy to oblige.

Having said that, I also feel that if we, the fans, didn't buy the jerseys, the hats, the tickets, etc, they wouldn't be paid near what they do are getting. And yes, I'm guilty of buying all Da Bears crap I can get. LOL
  • ashgirl95
    ashgirl95 Posts: 48
    Options
    Nope sorry I live in Maryland and love the Ravens but screw Ray Rice he should have gotten thrown off the team altogether.

*kitten* like this is why men who idol these players think it's okay to abuse women, because all anyone ever gets is a slap on the wrist.
  • headofphat
    Options

Just because I get capitalism doesn't mean that I openly accept and like everything about it.

Well which parts do you like?
  • ashgirl95
    ashgirl95 Posts: 48
    Options
    I would never defend a guy that hits women, but she still married him. Does she love him that much or is she in it for the money?

IF she was, if she's really so awful that she only wants his cash, does that give him the right to beat her?

Simmer down. No one ever said he had the right.

Truthfully, I think he convinced her to so that she didn't legally have to testify against him in court the next time he decides to beat on her.
  • Lisa1971
    Lisa1971 Posts: 3,069 Member
    Options
    I think my favorite part of this is the fact that the NFL issued a 16-game suspension to Cleveland Browns Josh Gordon, who tested positive for weed. Ergo, we can safely conclude that the NFL thinks pot is 8 times worse than punching a woman.

THIS! I just don't understand how this is ok!