Plastic Surgery After Weightloss? - Sequel

Options
2»

Replies

• nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    I am so sorry.

I have to say I admire you more than I can say. You should be incredibly proud of yourself. It is who you are that truly matters - and you are a strong person. Be proud and cherish your health.

Good luck.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry :( I'd look for options abroad as well.
  • itsbasschick
    itsbasschick Posts: 1,584 Member
    Options
    wow, that's crushing news. hopefully you can find a less expensive - but still highly qualified - surgeon.

btw, if you decide to go another route, you could do some weight training to build your arms, thighs and pecs, and the muscle would take up some of the room in the loose skin so would look nice and firm.
  • BlueBombers
    BlueBombers Posts: 4,065 Member
    Options
    My friend is actually going to see a plastic surgeon on Friday to remove all the loose skin she has after she lost 125 lbs. Her doctor told her it would be covered because it was a weight-loss related issue (Canada).

I agree with others....go to another doctor.

Edited for spelling.
  • Katacheese
    Katacheese Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I just had my panni after my weightloss and it was covered by my insurance because I was getting rashes and fungus in my belly button. Yuck! I still have the loose skin on my legs and arms, though I lift weights at that helps and my breasts as well. My doctor has said she'd do a breast lift for me on a payment plan, and I may do that some time. Seriously, check your insurance. Start with your GP and tell him/her about the rashes etc which you are no doubt having. Go from there. It takes a little work and perseverance, but you can do it.

If not, the myth of a perfect body is just that, a myth. Only a small percentage of people look perfect naturally. Go to a mall or someplace public and watch people go by. Check out their bodies (in a non-creepy fashion).

It's most likely that your body is better than theirs, and you have less loose skin than they do.

I will tell you that the surgery and the recovery are gruesome. I had mine 8 weeks ago and it really sucked the wind out of my sails.

Be proud of what you have accomplished!
  • JenD1066
    JenD1066 Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    If this is something so important to you, before giving up, you might consider medical tourism.
    Plastic surgery in Mexico would be about a tenth the amount.
  • amyk0202
    amyk0202 Posts: 667 Member
    Options
    I would look elsewhere as well. I just fixed my tummy & chest & had lipo on my back, upper abdomen, & flanks & it was $15K. I did have one surgeon who told me my arms would add another $7K because they require a lot of stitching. My sister had a circumferential body lift, breast reduction, & her arms done a couple years ago & it was between $17K-$20K (I can't remember exactly). Since you are paying out of pocket, you can go anywhere for the surgery.

It was expensive & it was hard to spend so much money on myself, but I am so happy with my results.
  • SrMaggalicious
    SrMaggalicious Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    what about a tummy tuck? just pick the spot that bothers you the most and go with that, if you can afford the others later then do it then. it would make recovery easier and would give your body a chance to adjust as well.

That's exactly what I was thinking...a compromise.
  • poohbah4
    poohbah4 Posts: 127
    Options
    Something to consider . . . and it might vary with the insurance company . . . but my doctor told me that if there is a documented health problem from the loose skin, such as recurring yeast infections in the skin folds, insurance might cover the skin removal surgery. Discuss that with your doctor and/or insurance company.
  • joandue
    joandue Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I'm from Canada too, Manitoba and our province will pay with doctor's recommendation for health reasons. My doctor has already made note of my highest weight (which by the way was way more than I when I started here) and said we'll talk when I get down to where I want to be. I've heard of a few others that have it covered with significant weight loss. I would think 195 is pretty significant. Get a second opinion, can't hurt.
  • BlueBombers
    BlueBombers Posts: 4,065 Member
    Options
    I'm from Canada too, Manitoba and our province will pay with doctor's recommendation for health reasons. My doctor has already made note of my highest weight (which by the way was way more than I when I started here) and said we'll talk when I get down to where I want to be. I've heard of a few others that have it covered with significant weight loss. I would think 195 is pretty significant. Get a second opinion, can't hurt.

My friend is from Ontario and her surgery will be covered by the Province. Good luck to you!
  • brookielaw
    brookielaw Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    Huzzah for DH for showing his support and PRIDE. HUZZAH for you for getting healthy and losing 195 lbs and maintaining it!!!! I'm sorry about your disappointment. Short of winning the lottery, I believe I'll be facing that same disappointment in a few years.
  • Momjogger
    Momjogger Posts: 750 Member
    Options
    I agree. Pick what MOST bothers you, do that and over time do another if you like the results. I would also try exercise. I think it has helped me. Lifting weights makes a huge difference.
  • Commander_Keen
    Commander_Keen Posts: 1,181 Member
    Options
    #1 get a second quote from another doctor.from another state.
    #2 ask to have multiple things done at the same time.. as it can be cheaper that way.
  • AliceDark
    AliceDark Posts: 3,886 Member
    Options
    I would go to another doctor, because the price for surgery can vary wildly depending on the office. Ask about discounts if you can pay in cash up front -- some offices will offer you a 10% discount, which isn't a lot (but isn't nothing, either). Other than that, start saving. You may not be able to have everything done now, but you could pick one procedure and start saving for the rest.
  • DayByDayGetStronger
    DayByDayGetStronger Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I say, to heck with buying a new car! Start saving a "car payment" now and in 3 years you could have a new body to drive.

To all the people just starting out with their massive weight loss journey: save the money you would have spent on larger portions to pay for your skin removal surgery. You're gonna need it somewhere on your body.

So sorry to hear the bad news, OP. I'll bet if you really looked at your finances you could start saving for the surgeries.

My husband lost his full time job over 3 years ago and it really opened my eyes to how much we really need to live on every month. He was collecting unemployment for about 15 months and I put every dime of it in savings to see if we could live off my income alone.

Guess what? We're doing just fine and we even take vacations. We cut back on silly things like cable, found cheaper cell phone carriers, cheaper car insurance by only have PIP coverage on our old cars, etc. We even have a food budget that we stick to. Over the 3+ years of having no full time job, I have been able to save $35k. I got my body lift, brachioplasty, neck and lower face lift and even my saggy eyelids reduced. My thigh lift, breast lift/reduction is scheduled for January. The money is sitting in the bank ready to go, I just wanted to have a fun summer w/o pain or taking time off from work.

You'll get it done. My god, look at what you've accomplished so far!! If there is a will there is a way.
  • MomTo3Lovez
    MomTo3Lovez Posts: 800 Member
    Options
    Sorry for your news, I agree with others and look for another opinion and look into insurance covering part of it if it is affecting your health and ask a doctor about it, they may know how to phrase it to your insurance company to get it approved.

For those have had a tummy tuck, is it similar or worse than having a c-section assuming any of youhave had a c section. I had one and holy crap the first few weeks were painful but I managed through with little to no pain meds, just wondering if a tummy tuck is similar.
  • MomTo3Lovez
    MomTo3Lovez Posts: 800 Member
    Options
    I say, to heck with buying a new car! Start saving a "car payment" now and in 3 years you could have a new body to drive.

To all the people just starting out with their massive weight loss journey: save the money you would have spent on larger portions to pay for your skin removal surgery. You're gonna need it somewhere on your body.

So sorry to hear the bad news, OP. I'll bet if you really looked at your finances you could start saving for the surgeries.

My husband lost his full time job over 3 years ago and it really opened my eyes to how much we really need to live on every month. He was collecting unemployment for about 15 months and I put every dime of it in savings to see if we could live off my income alone.

Guess what? We're doing just fine and we even take vacations. We cut back on silly things like cable, found cheaper cell phone carriers, cheaper car insurance by only have PIP coverage on our old cars, etc. We even have a food budget that we stick to. Over the 3+ years of having no full time job, I have been able to save $35k. I got my body lift, brachioplasty, neck and lower face lift and even my saggy eyelids reduced. My thigh lift, breast lift/reduction is scheduled for January. The money is sitting in the bank ready to go, I just wanted to have a fun summer w/o pain or taking time off from work.

You'll get it done. My god, look at what you've accomplished so far!! If there is a will there is a way.

Wow that is awesome congrats! I really need to figure out a budget to where I can start putting money away, but I have 3 kids on top of just myself so it's a little tricky but we don't have cable just internet and netflix and considering hulu plus, the food budget I am working on. Congrats again!
  • heartists
    heartists Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Hi, I'm 24 years old.. and have lost over 100 lbs on my own as well. I have struggled living in my literal suit of excess skin for years and do not have financial means to get it removed. It's the worst. I feel trapped in my former body.. but I know one day I WILL get surgery because it's so important to me.
    I just want you to know you're not alone in this. It's so hard.
  • kayleygrav
    kayleygrav Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Hi there,

I read your post and just thought I'd give you a little bit of support. I know how upsetting it can be to have all that extra skin and not know if you can afford the surgery... But ultimately if it's meant to happen it will and sometime you're not always as happy with the results even when you do get the work done. I have a tummy tuck 9 months ago. I'm AMAZINGLY satisfied with the results but it's also been EXTREMELY challenging to keep my weight low while recovering. As well as the fat repositioning that occurs after work like this can be really frustrating too. When you gain weight after a procedure like this it ends up in all different places than it used to and it's hard to adjust to having bigger thighs, calves, arms, butt... Ya my stomach is flat flat flat but I get annoyed with other areas now. No matter what you will never be totally satisfied with your body. Learn to accept where you're at. I think it's a normal human struggle but look how far you've came. Your journeys not over who knows what will happen next ;)