Very concerned here ... (Experts please guide me)

Options
Hello there,

It's been two months since I've started going to the gym (personal training) and after one month I lost almost two inches all over my body but on the scale, I only dropped half a kg. so I kept going but today after the end of my second month, instead of seeing a decrease in on the scale, I saw 3kgs of weight added up but even then I have lost an inch or a little more all over except from oblique and lower belly. My monthly cycle is not even a week away so maybe maybe this was a very wrong time to jump on the scale? But my concern is that all of this can't be water weight and even on the second month I haven't lost a single kg? I'm doing strength training/circuit with everyday intervals as a warm up and cardio days.

Ps. Today I definitely panicked...feeling highly demotivated!

Replies

• hungreeteacher17
    hungreeteacher17 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you are toning up. You lost an inch so you are still making positive progress! Remember muscle weighs more than fat, so as you increase your muscle mass you will not lose, you might even gain. Also, I never weigh near my period.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    Yes, that time of the month will mess with your scale weight, so you could just be weighing at a bad time in your cycle. But I don't see any mention of how many calories you've been eating during all of this. Are you tracking your food and staying in a deficit?
  • mamasitaroja
    mamasitaroja Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Hi! Muscle weighs more than fat, and as you tone up, you may weigh more. PMS is also NEVER your friend for weigh-ins! Just keep track of your intake vs. output in calories, watch your measurements for progress, and certainly your trainer would mention if he/she felt you weren't making any progress. It can be frustrating, but as you go it will move more noticeably. Take before, during, and after pics, even if you don't share them....it helps to SEE your changes as a benchmark. Take heart and don't get discouraged- you'll get there!
  • lishie_rebooted
    lishie_rebooted Posts: 2,973 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you are toning up. You lost an inch so you are still making positive progress! Remember muscle weighs more than fat, so as you increase your muscle mass you will not lose, you might even gain. Also, I never weigh near my period.

Ugh, the word toning. Also muscle doesnt weigh more than fat. A pound is a pound. However a pound of muscle takes up less space than fat.

OP, have you be counting calories and creating a deficit? Because it sounds like you're eating near maintenance and that's why there isn't any chamge on the scale.
    Also, I don't know your weight but if you're within a healthy weight range, take the inches change over the scale change any day. No one sees your scale weight so it doesn't matter at all. But losing inches is great.
  • kiltedchef
    kiltedchef Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Not in any way an expert here, just someone that has been down your road and so far been VERY successful with my journey. You are lifting weights, building muscle and toning your body. You are focused on the scale while you should be focused on your inches, believe me I was and sometimes still am the same way. It is SO MUCH easier to focus on number drops or gains then to take a largely subjective look at your fitness and body composition. I would highly recommend getting a tape measure and focusing on the inches/cm lost or gained. As for muscle weighing more than fat, no that is an old wives tale. As the saying goes " a pound is a pound the world around". 1 pound of water weighs the same as 1 pound of feathers, though their VOLUME is completely different and that is where people get confused. I hope that I have helped but if you would like to chat please feel free to msg me. I am always here to help -M
  • abadvat
    abadvat Posts: 1,241 Member
    Options
    Fat going down newbie muscles coming up probably!
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options

How exactly does a pound of muscle weight more than a pound of fat?
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    Also muscle doesnt weigh more than fat. A pound is a pound. However a pound of muscle takes up less space than fat.

A cubic inch of muscle will weight more than a cubic inch of fat. That's where the "weighs more" thing comes from. If you want to really be pedantic, the proper phrasing would be "muscle is more dense than fat."
  • teemama2
    teemama2 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Also muscle doesnt weigh more than fat. A pound is a pound. However a pound of muscle takes up less space than fat.

A cubic inch of muscle will weight more than a cubic inch of fat. That's where the "weighs more" thing comes from. If you want to really be pedantic, the proper phrasing would be "muscle is more dense than fat."

Makes sense ^^
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    You won't gain muscle (except newbie gains maybe) eating at a deficit. But your muscles will hold onto water so you probably won't see much result on the scale for a bit... totally normal.

And yeah, I'm 5 days from my period and I gained 2 pounds... also normal. It's water weight and will go away (but I know, very frustrating). Keep doing what you're doing, just make sure you're eating at a deficit.
  • soechsner09
    soechsner09 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    OMG, I want to pull my hair out when people say "muscle weighs more than fat" ... a pound is a pound no matter what it's made of. Sounds to me like you're just building some muscle. :) which is a great thing! If you're not happy with the inch loss as well, how's your diet been? Exercise alone won't get the job done, nutrition plays an important part too. Weight loss comes from all different aspects of life ... exercise, diet, sleep, stress. Just try to find the balance that works for you. It takes a bit ... I'm still trying to find mine :smile:
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    When people point out that one pound of muscle = one pound of fat, but fat takes up more space I like to remind them that a cubic inch of muscle takes up as much space as a cubic inch of fat, so muscle doesn't take up less space than fat. Do you see how silly that sounds from the other side?

Look, I agree that the phrase isn't accurately worded, but almost everyone who uses it understands that 1 pound = 1 pound. They're comparing equal volumes of the two substances and saying that a given amount of muscle will weight less than an equal volume of fat.

Now, can we find out if the OP is actually tracking their food and eating at a deficit or surplus before we tell them they've gained over 3 kgs of muscle in a month?
  • izzi1024
    izzi1024 Posts: 9
    Options
    Thank you for such quick responses first of all...

I haven't regularly been logging what I eat on FitnessPal app or in a diary (Now i should) but this month, was the month of fasting and I had been fasting, I just logged in my everyday meals to check how many calories I've been consuming on regular days and the food logging adds up to almost 1000 calories and according to the app i have 700 or so still left and I didn't add the burnt calories, which should be minimum 500 if not more. So if for my height, weight and age 1200 calories are required to drop weight even then this month I didn't go so crazy eating that I gained 3kgs?
    But yes I admit I did fulfil some cravings that I shouldn't have and I had rice a few times (I still avoided fried food like never before) but my pre dawn meals were wheat bread and omelette so I can observe fast for the rest of the day and also workout while fasting at least thrice a week for this past month which isn't easy as one feels thirsty but I was determined enough there...the month's end got me feeling a little low.
  • izzi1024
    Options
  • izzi1024
    Options
    Hi! Muscle weighs more than fat, and as you tone up, you may weigh more. PMS is also NEVER your friend for weigh-ins! Just keep track of your intake vs. output in calories, watch your measurements for progress, and certainly your trainer would mention if he/she felt you weren't making any progress. It can be frustrating, but as you go it will move more noticeably. Take before, during, and after pics, even if you don't share them....it helps to SEE your changes as a benchmark. Take heart and don't get discouraged- you'll get there!

Yes I am taking pictures so later I can compare... I'm broad boned and my upper body is my biggest issue... well today my trainer goes "you are crazy" and he went away, didn't take measurements and later told me it might be because your cycle is close. But that wasn't a response i was looking for. Yes i do look somewhat thinner than before. Like my double chin has decreased, thank God and inches loss from thighs, hips and shoulders... although those love handles and arms are stubborn fat. :huh:
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    If you're eating less than 1000 total calories, then burning 500 or so ... you're undereating and failing to provide your system with needed macro and micro nutrients. You will not gain appreciable muscle mass while eating at a deficit and there is no way you're making significant muscular gains on that type of diet. Muscles will retain water after exercise as part of their repair process. 3kg of water means a total of 3 liters of liquid ... not a lot in reality.
  • izzi1024
    Options
    If you're eating less than 1000 total calories, then burning 500 or so ... you're undereating and failing to provide your system with needed macro and micro nutrients. You will not gain appreciable muscle mass while eating at a deficit and there is no way you're making significant muscular gains on that type of diet. Muscles will retain water after exercise as part of their repair process. 3kg of water means a total of 3 liters of liquid ... not a lot in reality.

even if I have had my weak days???
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options

Damage is cumulative when you fail to give your body what it needs. How long have you been eating so little and exercising so much?
  • izzi1024
    Options

Damage is cumulative when you fail to give your body what it needs. How long have you been eating so little and exercising so much?

Started exercise routine two months ago and one month for the diet because I've been fasting in this month of Ramadan but its not like I didn't indulge in food during this month but tried to stay away from fried food.