HELP! I've gained 2 pounds :(

Options
Since I started the Insanity workout program last week (Jan. 10th) I have GAINED 2 pounds...WTH!!! I did up my caloric intake just a tad based on my exercise calories burned. My base is 1260 calories a day plus whatever I burn during my workouts which is 500-650 calories a workout. I try to eat most of my burned calories but not necessarily all of them...it's too much to eat!

Any advice out there? I'm SUPER frustrated with working so hard only to see an increase in the number on the scale!!!

Replies

• cindaroses
    Options
    I gained with p90x too :( My inches didn't go down, but I was more tone and way more firm. I read with these types of workouts that is common, but if we stick to them after the 30 days, that's when we see some difference.
  • aprettykitty84
    Options
    This is to be expected with anyone just starting to workout. Muscle weighs more than fat so as your fat is being burned and you are gaining muscle, you will gain weight but may notice your clothes fit a little looser. That is why the measurements are the best way to gauge body change in the beginning.
  • traceyblt
    Options
    Hi i,m no expert but they do say muscle weighs more than fat so it could be u have toned up a bit, also i find at certain times of the month my weight does seem 2 go up. Stick with it and don,t give up X
  • cakeordeath
    cakeordeath Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    could be new muscle, or water weight. dont sweat it. the body fluctuates about 3lbs daily. try measuring yourself for a little while instead of weighing yourself.
  • FaeFae
    FaeFae Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    if you are working out a lot it could be increased muscle. Also are you weighing yourself everyday? They say you should only do it once a week or so. Its hard I know but I like to see the bigger number at the end of the week or two weeks rather than a small if not any number any day. Be patient it will all even out! Take your measurements as well as your weight! It doesnt always matter what the scale says but how your body feels and looks. You could be losing inches!! Good Luck!!!
  • Adsnwfld
    Adsnwfld Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    How are your clothes fitting? A slight change in diet can change the amount of water you are retaining and reflect a few pound gain. You could also be putting muscle on and that weighs much more then the same volume of fat.

So don't freak out yet, be careful and watch what you are eating, but it is probably just water weight.
  • zydratethief
    Options
    This is to be expected with anyone just starting to workout. Muscle weighs more than fat so as your fat is being burned and you are gaining muscle, you will gain weight but may notice your clothes fit a little looser. That is why the measurements are the best way to gauge body change in the beginning.

Muscle does not weigh more than fat. It may be denser, but a pound of fat is the same as a pound of muscle....

Have you been eating salty foods? Have you been drinking a lot of water? All of these factors can and will contribute to your weight. More importantly, is this weigh-in part of your regular check in? or is it a sneak peak?

If its a peak, i suggest you wait untill your actual weigh in day :D
  • capecodgirl1
    capecodgirl1 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I have several friends that have done Insanity! Trust me, the two pound gain is nothing. THe overall body makeover gain is INCREDIBLE. my friends bodies changed DRASTICALLY! Seriously, listen to what the others have said and remember,the tape measure works best!!
  • helenbeee
    helenbeee Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    This is what has happened with me Ive fitted into 3 items of clothes I couldnt even get past my knees or head before christmas that fit perfectly yet the scales tell me I only lost 0.8kg this week. So dont panic it actually takes a month for it all to start really working some people even longer but mark my word if you eat less than you burn then you will lose weight. Its a simple formula and it works. My advice maybe dont weigh yourself as often let your clothes tell you what is really happening.
  • kimstn
    kimstn Posts: 6
    Options
    It's perfectly normal to see a small gain when you begin a new program. You are adding muscle, which does weigh more than fat, and your metabolism is adjusting to the new energy levels required to do the new workouts. Keep up the workouts and monitor your calories....you will see results soon:)
  • DanL66712
    DanL66712 Posts: 135
    Options
    Muscle does not weigh more than fat. It may be denser, but a pound of fat is the same as a pound of muscle....

Thank you! There needs to be something done to debunk the 'muscle weighs more than fat' myth!!
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options

Have you been eating salty foods? Have you been drinking a lot of water? All of these factors can and will contribute to your weight. More importantly, is this weigh-in part of your regular check in? or is it a sneak peak?

Actually mucsle does weigh more than fat, just like iron weighs more than feathers. A pound of feathers weighs the same a a pound of iron but that is not the point being made. When someone says muscle weighs more than fat they are implying that a square inch or some other volume measurement of muscles weighs more than the same volume of fat. Why do poeople keep arguing this point, it is obvious that they mean in equal volumes please give up this argument. A pound is a pound but people are referring to volumes
  • erickirb
    Options

Thank you! There needs to be something done to debunk the 'muscle weighs more than fat' myth!!

Actually it weighs quite a bit more, in your argument then everything weighs the same. a tree weighs the same as a flower?? Or would your argument be a pound of a tree weighs the same as a pound of a flower. Or me as a 145 lb man weigh the same as a 300 lb man, well 1 pound of my 145 weighs the same as 1 pound of the 300 lb man, what a horrible argument.
  • erickirb
    Options
    Most likely the OP is ex experiencing water retention due to a new strenuous workout, not muscle not fat, just water. Your body stores water around the muscle when starting a new program or increasing intensity to protect and help repair the mucsle tissues broken down during the workout. After a few days/weeks your muscles will get use to it and no longer have the need for the water weight and shed it.

Stop paying so much attentions to the scale people, it is by no means an indication of health or fitness. Body fat %, resting heart rate, how you feel, how your close fit are all better indications of how you are doing.
  • RayRay58
    Options

If muscle is denser (which it is) then per volume it does weigh more then fat. I can say a pound of bricks weighs the same as a pound of feathers which is true but you are going to need alot more feathers then bricks to get that pound.
  • carolinegeorgia
    Options
    http://www.onemorebite-weightloss.com/muscle-to-fat.html

muscle does not weigh more then fat.....
  • onmywaytoskinny155
    onmywaytoskinny155 Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Help I've gained 30lbs! Don't worry about 2 lbs. Worry about a 10lbs weight gain so you don't let it get to out of control
  • erickirb
    Options
    http://www.onemorebite-weightloss.com/muscle-to-fat.html

muscle does not weigh more then fat.....

Yes it does, look how much smaller the muscle is than the fat, now take the same size piece, which would weigh more. Of course the muscle, then you can clearly say that muscle weighs more than fat. This is the worst argument ever, not sure why it even gets debated.
  • Dobsaya
    Dobsaya Posts: 235
    Options
    It's the muscle mass. I always gain 2 to 3 pounds when I start doing resistance and then the muscle starts to burn the fat and I start to lose weight. Also, I look much better with the 2 to 3 pounds because of the toning.
  • mmmary201
    Options

Actually mucsle does weigh more than fat, just like iron weighs more than feathers. A pound of feathers weighs the same a a pound of iron but that is not the point being made. When someone says muscle weighs more than fat they are implying that a square inch or some other volume measurement of muscles weighs more than the same volume of fat. Why do poeople keep arguing this point, it is obvious that they mean in equal volumes please give up this argument. A pound is a pound but people are referring to volumes

...and thank YOU for making this point. I have a lot of muscle (more than average) for a woman and yet someone else who weighs the same as me, or even sometimes less than me, that has a lot of fat, is larger than I am.