Dog Lovers! Is Your Dog an Exercise Motivator?

Options

Replies

• engodwin
    engodwin Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    Yes, but I can't run with him. I've tried and he will run for a bit, then get excited like "OMG WE'RE RUNNING!!" and then run in front of me and trip me.

^^^ I was going to say this!

Trip me or jump on me and knock me down - one of the two is happening if I run anywhere in eye site of my two fur-babies

Do you burn more calories falling? If so I might reconsider.
  • jyogit
    jyogit Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    i had 3 labradors ..walked them 3 times a day most days and loved it.. since losing them all i haven't been out walking ..i'd miss them way too much and hence I'm now exercising tc to get rid of the extra pounds i have gained since i lost them all ..
    i took them out come rain/snow or sunshine as i work long hrs they were always alone a lot so their walks were important to them .. GREAT motivation to walk every day but .. i can't have another one.. i have mfp now instead.
  • MrsUptonOgood
    MrsUptonOgood Posts: 1,897 Member
    Options
    "...he will run for a bit, then get excited like "OMG WE'RE RUNNING!!" and then run in front of me and trip me."

My boys are Dachshund brothers. They LOVE to get out there and sprint. They can go longer, but too much might not be good for their short legs. I do run with them for as long as they can go. Gotta keep 'em straight or else they WILL run into your path and wreak havoc.

Lol, I have a Dachshund also and he Loves our walks....until he sees a squirrel or a cat, or his favorite bush he like to pee on :)
  • gardengirl40
    gardengirl40 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Mine is a big motivator for me. We've got a 3 year old lab/collie cross who loves to be outside. In fact I think he is a complete reflection of our personalities- when he is outside and exercising there is no stopping him, but put him inside and that dog is going to sleep. A lot. He relies on me to look after him, it wouldn't be fair to slack off as he hasn't got the choice. Between me and my husband we walk him 2 hours minimum every day. I'm in running training to keep up with him, when I get a bit more weight off he and I are going to give CaniX a whirl.
  • gardengirl40
    Options
    My dog is a Goldendoodle. He walks 5 miles with me when we walk. The only challenge walking him is his obsession with squirrels. I find I have to watch them too or he will catch me off guard trying to chase them.

Squirrels and rabbits are my dog's obedience kryptonite! See you in three hours, my friend!
  • gardengirl40
    Options
    My dog is an active hindrance to my pilates though as he likes to lie down on the mat, whilst I'm on it.:laugh:
  • amethyst7986
    amethyst7986 Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    LOL....we have 5 total-- 2 (older ones) refuse to be on a leash or wear a collar, 2 (both a year old) are all in for running until you put the harness on them-- one (mine :tongue: ) acts like its a lead vest and will only lay down and the other chokes himself on it--IDK how bc it is a harness not a collar! The last one-- thinks she's a race horse going for the triple crown-:laugh: once you put that harness and leash on her...lol there is no stopping her and forget about trying to run alongside her, she will drag your a**! She is obviously a sprinter not a runner!
  • KameHameHaaaa
    KameHameHaaaa Posts: 837 Member
    Options
    I walk my cat does that count? Haha. He used to be an outdoor cat but since we moved to a new area we're keeping him indoors. He still CRAVES being outside so we actually take him on walks with a leash.
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    I run with a random local shelter dog once a week. Best stuff ever since I have zero interest in owning a dog.
  • amethyst7986
    amethyst7986 Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    Yes, but I can't run with him. I've tried and he will run for a bit, then get excited like "OMG WE'RE RUNNING!!" and then run in front of me and trip me.

^^^ I was going to say this!

Trip me or jump on me and knock me down - one of the two is happening if I run anywhere in eye site of my two fur-babies

Do you burn more calories falling? If so I might reconsider.

IF our puppies actually give in a go walking, the male always tries to "one up" the female, which includes walking in front of us, tripping us by shooting between my legs to get to the other side of the side walk, running (which is funny cause he's got really short stubby legs) or sitting. He will literally go out of his way to sit on the other dog...lol I swear I get an arm workout just trying to keep him away from the other one.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    <-- my boys.

Too cute, look like they are pretty high energy like my dog :wink:

Yep. :laugh: The one had just fallen upside down because he was too lazy to stop himself from toppling over.
  • turtlebeth
    turtlebeth Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    If there is anyone lazier than me, it's my dog. I used to take him running with me and he'd lie down on the sidewalk.

This! I love my choc lab/pit mix but he's only good for a few blocks then lays down wherever he is and wants to rest...
  • ThinLizzie0802
    ThinLizzie0802 Posts: 863 Member
    Options
    Yup! Both of mine are total *kitten* to walk but we do it anyway on a regular basis. Great motivator and we all need the exercise! My oldest dog would walk/run for hours and hours and hours. He will go until his paws are bloody. He's a flippin' machine.
  • mnwalkingqueen
    mnwalkingqueen Posts: 1,299 Member
    Options
    My dog gets mad if he isn't able to walk and smell the city, so he definitely keeps me on track.
  • sc003ro
    sc003ro Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    my olde english bulldogg is good for a 30 min walk daily...after that she is tired out
  • runner475
    runner475 Posts: 1,236 Member
    Options
    I lost my initial weight walking my puppy boy Max (Cocker Spaniel) around the neighborhood. I remember prior to Max I had never ever stepped out of driveway. He was a huge motivator in most of our family outdoor activities.

My husband also took him and us for hikes in State Parks. Absolutely fantastic hiking partner too. I once took him for a trail run but he suffered heat stroke that day. Big mistake. He was too eager to please his family and that's what caused it. Not every dog is a running partner is what I learnt that day even though they want to run with their humans.

We lost Max this year but he left behind loads of memories and a strong healthy family.
  • sassyjae21
    sassyjae21 Posts: 1,217 Member
    Options
    Not very often. My dog likes to walk as long as it's too far. But since it's been close to 100 degrees many days this summer, it's out of the question for both of us :sad:
  • marciebrian
    marciebrian Posts: 853 Member
    Options
    I just found my puppy (1 yr old long haired black/tan dachshund) on May 28th. In honesty I actually like to exercise anyway but now I have to take him out a LOT to get him fully house trained. Our schedule is 4:30 a..m. 6:00 a.m (during the day my friend walks him) 5:00/7:00/9:00/11... so I guess yes! I too have cats (3) and never planned on another dog but sometimes life just happens and I love the little guy
  • kristen2713
    kristen2713 Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    Only because there's this super cute guy I keep seeing at the local park, so after I do my full workout, I try to go to the park to walk him or jog with him, just hoping to literally run into this guy!!!
  • tasharock
    tasharock Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I lost the weight for my dog! :) We do canine agility and our instructor said: "even if you lose 50lb you won't be able to keep up with her!" So I went and lost 90! I feel so much better and we are winning more and more!