Stop counting cleaning, walking to the mail box, etc.

Options

Replies

• blaiRloch12
    blaiRloch12 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Are you saying that your are;

- eating maintenance calories
    - counting activities then eating the kcal's back
    - have then lost weight (well done by the way :))

If that is the case then one, or both of these things is true... you have judged your maintenance level incorrectly resulting in you eating under your kcal allowance, or you are judging your activity level too low / mfp is judging it too low

either way, congrats on the weight loss

Edit/

For the people berating the OP, maybe take your own advice and get over it?
  • mandybear014
    mandybear014 Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    My mailbox is four blocks away from my house if I got through a neighbor's back yard, five if I go the long way--so eight to 10 blocks depending on which way I go. I never considered counting this towards my exercise goal, maybe I will now, it still won't be any of your business or remotely your problem.

In the middle of June I counted house cleaning as part of my exercise. I moved furniture, took boxes up and down stairs, helped paint two rooms in my parents' house, took down/cleaned/rehung curtains, did yard work, cleaned out cupboards/drawers/closets/pantries. I broke a sweat every day for nine days and counted it. BTW, I lost six pounds in that two week period. It's still not your business nor your problem.

If you don't like someone's posts block them. That's what I do.

Love this ^^^^^^^ :heart: :drinker:
  • pipertargaryen
    pipertargaryen Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    I remember a thread about logging grocery shopping,and people flipping **** because they were all, "Well you obviously went grocery shopping before and still got fat, so what does it matter hurr durr?"

I didn't grocery shop before starting MFP in January, so it's legitimately something relatively new on my plate.

Anyway, I count everything, cleaning, shopping, whatever. However, I eat 1400-1500 calories per day, gross total, whether I log 150 calories of exercise or 1600 (it's happened! I hit the gym 7 days a week in addition to not driving and therefore walking everywhere, as well as working 2 retail jobs). I like to track not because I want to eat more - my self-control is awesome nowadays - but because it keeps me motivated to keep myself moving. Why does that matter to anyone else? I've lost near 60lbs so far. If I want to log scrubbing my apartment as "cleaning - light/moderate effort', why does that matter to anyone else?
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,932 Member
    Options
    power cleans are hard work
  • blaiRloch12
    blaiRloch12 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Looking at it and deciding to comment on it are two completely different things.

Again - people who are logging everything they do as that added bit of motivation, fair enough - there is no problem with that. What the OP is getting at, quite rightly so (thought maybe not enough to post about it), is people not losing weight, complaining, when really they have been eating back kcal's for mundane tasks.
  • shireeniebeanie
    shireeniebeanie Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    maybe take your own advice and get over it?

Because OP crying about someone he chose to friend is the same as me having to look at OPs ****post on the forum & forum recent activity. How2logic?

IJtZmtD.gif

Yes.
    Okay, I just like the tiny cat feet.
  • pipertargaryen
    pipertargaryen Posts: 303 Member
    Options

Because OP crying about someone he chose to friend is the same as me having to look at OPs ****post on the forum & forum recent activity. How2logic?

IJtZmtD.gif

Yes.
    Okay, I just like the tiny cat feet.

^^
    This is a sentiment and I can echo. :laugh:
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    Looking at it and deciding to comment on it are two completely different things.

Again - people who are logging everything they do as that added bit of motivation, fair enough - there is no problem with that. What the OP is getting at, quite rightly so (thought maybe not enough to post about it), is people not losing weight, complaining, when really they have been eating back kcal's for mundane tasks.

I don't log these things. I don't care if other people do. If someone posts a thread complaining about not losing weight while logging these things, this would probably be my first point to them.
    I don't, however, see the point of posting a thread like this. Hardly anyone sees it, it is going to die and get buried quick. It really serves no function other than to rile some people up for a few minutes. It's like the loose vs lose threads.

I actually see very few people who log this stuff and then complain about not losing weight.

Did this even apply to anyone on this thread? Did anyone suddenly realize this applied to them?
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    Sorry, OP, I'm the only boss of my diary.
  • ChaseAlder
    ChaseAlder Posts: 804 Member
    Options
    I'm going to log the walk from my fridge to the microwave. You can't stop me.
  • northbanu
    northbanu Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    They do it just to piss you off. Mission accomplished.
  • sunburntgalaxy
    sunburntgalaxy Posts: 455 Member
    Options
    I don't care if people want to log cleaning or whatever else they want to log. I don't log that stuff, but it is their right to log it if they want to. Although knowing it bothers the OP and quite possibly others, I might just start to log that stuff now.
  • mjrkearney
    mjrkearney Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    I kind of wish I could go back and log shoveling my mother's driveway. Once the snow was more than six inches deep, that was not a "light" workout. Especially not after four hours.
  • riirii93_
    riirii93_ Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    You still have time to edit out the personal insult since there really is not reason for making it so personal...

Personal insults are one thing, not agreeing with the OP's view is something else entirely!

I don't know what personal insult you're talking about or what edit you're talking about, considering I never edited or deleted anything I said, but thanks for the tip. ;) All I'm saying is that this guy doesn't look like the professional/expert he's acting like he is to be dictating other people's actions on here. Rollin my eyes. :noway:
  • bukowski_shine
    bukowski_shine Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    My mailbox is four blocks away from my house if I got through a neighbor's back yard, five if I go the long way--so eight to 10 blocks depending on which way I go. I never considered counting this towards my exercise goal, maybe I will now, it still won't be any of your business or remotely your problem.

In the middle of June I counted house cleaning as part of my exercise. I moved furniture, took boxes up and down stairs, helped paint two rooms in my parents' house, took down/cleaned/rehung curtains, did yard work, cleaned out cupboards/drawers/closets/pantries. I broke a sweat every day for nine days and counted it. BTW, I lost six pounds in that two week period. It's still not your business nor your problem.

If you don't like someone's posts block them. That's what I do.
    Then why didn't you block him instead of replying to him?
  • bukowski_shine
    bukowski_shine Posts: 70 Member
    Options

IJtZmtD.gif
    Is this really the biggest problem in your life that you have the time to make a post crying about this instead of addressing another issue in your life? Seriously ?

If you don't like what someone posts, then ignore them.
  • RllyGudTweetr
    RllyGudTweetr Posts: 2,019 Member
    Options

IJtZmtD.gif
    Is this really the biggest problem in your life that you have the time to make a post crying about this instead of addressing another issue in your life? Seriously ?

If you don't like what someone posts, then ignore them.
    I like irony.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    Why do people complain about not losing as fast as they'd like and then count cleaning (vigorous effort) as exercise? Unless cleaning is dragging a 300 lb porcelain tub out of a two story building, you did not burn 300 calories.

Seriously, stop.

This is the point lots have missed.

For those who are losing like they want to it really doesn't apply.

For those on my FL who complain they "can't seem to lose" and want advice I look and if I see cleaning, mowing etc I tell them...if you did all that stuff before you started losing then don't count it....it's not helping.

I mean really I know mowing the lawn adds steps and if it's push mowing a gas powered mower it's can burn calories...but what if it's self propelled???? eh not so much.

Or cleaning...do I break a sweat cleaning my house...not normally...it's not that dirty...now if I am spring cleaning where I am washing walls moving furniture yah it's a workout...but I still wouldn't count it...why because I did all that stuff when I was fat and it didn't help me one bit...for weight loss...I stayed fat...until I got serious about a calorie deficit...

Oh and btw..MFP gives the description "walking the dog" for a walk that is 3mph...

ETA: but in all reality...if people want to log cleaning etc...log it...but if you ask for advice and that is given take it seriously otherwise I will do me you do you.
  • jkal1979
    jkal1979 Posts: 1,896 Member
    Options
    Food prep and mowing grass with a riding lawn mower entries are the two that make me go :huh:

If counting all of these things as exercise is not affecting their weight loss I'm not going to say anything, but if they are asking for help because they have stalled I think that the person needs to think twice about logging them if they are eating the calories back.
  • paulzli
    paulzli Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    It is a mile round-trip to my mail box and depending on traffic I do it in 15-20 min. You better believe I count it.

That's about 60 net calories for a 200 pound human.

Nah, more like 80 cal for an average height male or female.
This discussion has been closed.