Who has been on a cruise????

Options

Replies

• AnnieMarieL
    AnnieMarieL Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Be willing to try new things. Just have fun and relax. Had heard the average weight gain was 10 pounds. Just don't be stupid and you'll be fine. Oh, and talk to people! Young, old, different.....enjoy!
  • Kr1sMar1e
    Kr1sMar1e Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I've been on three cruises, all with family when I was younger. My first was a Disney cruise in the Caribbean, second was Carnival in the Caribbean, and third was Carnival on the Mexican Riviera.

Worst part: Being sea sick during a storm. Take Dramamine, and if you get sea sick, walk. You'll feel better than sitting or lying around.

Best parts: The people I met, the dancing, the food. I love new people, dancing, and food though. Riding a horse along the beach in Mexico with my brother. Petting a wild dolphin in the Bahamas. And just quiet nights out in the open sea. It was beautiful.

Pack a little sweater; you may need it sometimes.

Exercise, and enjoy the food, but eat reasonably. I didn't pay any attention to weight back then because I was a kid, but my sister went on a cruise later as an adult. She gained A LOT of weight in that short week. It's easy to do!

Have fun, get a little crazy! And definitely dance like a fool! :drinker:

And would I cruise again? Probably not, but only because there's so much to do in the world and I've checked that off the bucket list a few times over. But if some friends wanted to go, sure, why not?

Have a great time!
  • Lisa1971
    Lisa1971 Posts: 3,069 Member
    Options
    OMG so many great responses! Thank you guys so much for all the wonderful information! I'm leaving Port Canaveral. I will be on the Disney fantasy. We have some really great excursions booked. I can't wait to go parasailing with my 8 year old daughter and swim with the dolphins with my kids! My parents are also going and my mom, daughter, and me are going to do the 5K on Castaway Cay! My husband wants to fish and my dad is happy just downing a few dozen beers or so on the beach. LOL!

I definitely plan on working out and already have an appointment with a personal trainer at 6:30am on two of the mornings. The fitness center is gorgeous and I can't wait to get my butt in there first thing and get my workout over with so I don't feel so guilty indulging in some delicious food and beverage. I also want to try out the running track! That sound amazing!

Thanks again everyone for all the helpful tips! Oh, and thanks fleetzz for the tip about the prescription meds for motion sickness! My daughter gets motion sickness horribly so this is a good thing to know about asking her pedi for some meds.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,663 Member
    Options
    If you're going on the Fantasy, then pick the "Scavenger Hunt" cards early. Go with the kids on the hunt since it's a lot of stair work!!!
    Also on the final night, I was near the stairs (you can see it in my profile pics) and all the characters ended up going up so if you want close ups, that's the place to be.

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • moniduh
    moniduh Posts: 100
    Options
    No tips but wanted to wish you a safe trip and a great time!! :)
  • michellemybelll
    michellemybelll Posts: 2,228 Member
    Options
    Not enough Dramamine in the world to get me on a boat for that long. The short trip from Long Beach to Catalina Island was the closest I have ever felt to death.
    the Catalina Express from LB to Avalon is not a good indicator of what traveling on a big commercial cruise liner is like. The Catalina Express was super bumpy; i was surprised how much i could feel it moving when i rode it. Big commercial liners you typically can't feel anything at all.

I've been on a half dozen or so cruises, and all have been magnificently fun. bring money for booze, and off-boat adventuring is fun. the excursions through the cruise lines tend to be a bit pricey, but can be fun. it's also fun to just putz around the cruise stops on your own. find a beach, a bar, a shop - and just waste time. cruises are SO much fun. enjoy!

also: if you're a booze drinker, purchasing bottles onboard or in any of the duty free shops can get you a steal! usually they don't give them to you until you're back home upon debarkation, but you've got them for regular life. one of the cruises i was on i got a couple bottles of some yummy absolut vodka - peach flavor and one other, can't remember. and the price was awesome.
  • upnorthtim
    upnorthtim Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    I did a Carnival cruise to Alaska out of Seattle. Food was awesome and we had great dinner company. Everything was great but after 5 days I started looking for places to avoid the CONSTANT music (hip-hop round the clock...AGHDSHGJHD%^$!#@%$!). Unfortunately the only place I could find quiet was in my room. I don't know if other cruise companies have the constant music .......
  • Michellekutz1
    Options
    Went on my first cruise last year had a blast, best vacation of my life! It was amazing, tip 1) bring at least one pair of stretchy shorts you will probably gain some weight ....tip 2) take the stairs not the elevators, and walk around the ship one or two times a day, both of those might help you not need the stretchy shorts, lol
  • Runningwild103
    Options
    I'm going on my first in October and I'm beyond excited!
  • Agent__J
    Agent__J Posts: 39
    Options
    Going on my second on 7 September...Loved the first one, got a feel for how everything worked and had a blast...this time I plan on having even more fun! :smile:
  • bergpa
    bergpa Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    OMG so many great responses! Thank you guys so much for all the wonderful information! I'm leaving Port Canaveral. I will be on the Disney fantasy. We have some really great excursions booked. I can't wait to go parasailing with my 8 year old daughter and swim with the dolphins with my kids! My parents are also going and my mom, daughter, and me are going to do the 5K on Castaway Cay! My husband wants to fish and my dad is happy just downing a few dozen beers or so on the beach. LOL!

I definitely plan on working out and already have an appointment with a personal trainer at 6:30am on two of the mornings. The fitness center is gorgeous and I can't wait to get my butt in there first thing and get my workout over with so I don't feel so guilty indulging in some delicious food and beverage. I also want to try out the running track! That sound amazing!

Thanks again everyone for all the helpful tips! Oh, and thanks fleetzz for the tip about the prescription meds for motion sickness! My daughter gets motion sickness horribly so this is a good thing to know about asking her pedi for some meds.

Some things to add:

*If motion sickness might be an issue definitely see your pediatricians before you leave. We were on the Fantasy last year and our friend's child needed to see the doctor. It was $150 billed to their stateroom just for the initial visit plus the cost of meds. Disney wouldn't bill their insurance for it.
    *Not all the rooms have 2 bathroom areas.
    *You may not get as long in Castaway Cay as indicated. We only had 4 hours there because of a medical issue that required the ship to stop in Nassau. According to the crew this happens at least once a month.
    *You really don't have to dress up for formal and semi formal nights. Disney has relaxed their dress code a lot recently. We did enjoy getting our pictures in dress clothes but if I went again, I would opt to not have to pack the extra clothes.
    *Make sure your understand the tips that will be billed to your room. I'm thinking they were about $100 per person but I could be wrong about that.
    *if they are having a pirate party do plan on taking some dress up items. We got bandanas,beads and patches at a dollar store.
    *Make sure you get enough sleep, even if it means skipping a show. So many people are exhausted and cranky by the time the ship gets to Castaway Cay.
    *Get to the Port Canaveral as early as you can and register the kids in for their activities. They will get a special electronic wristband. Our kids had a lot of fun before the ship got crowded.
    *Go to some of the adult only areas and clubs. It is great to get away from all the kid noise for a while.
    *Take the art of the cruise ship tour. You'll learn a lot about the ship and its construction.
  • Lisa1971
    Lisa1971 Posts: 3,069 Member
    Options

Some things to add:

*If motion sickness might be an issue definitely see your pediatricians before you leave. We were on the Fantasy last year and our friend's child needed to see the doctor. It was $150 billed to their stateroom just for the initial visit plus the cost of meds. Disney wouldn't bill their insurance for it.
    *Not all the rooms have 2 bathroom areas.
    *You may not get as long in Castaway Cay as indicated. We only had 4 hours there because of a medical issue that required the ship to stop in Nassau. According to the crew this happens at least once a month.
    *You really don't have to dress up for formal and semi formal nights. Disney has relaxed their dress code a lot recently. We did enjoy getting our pictures in dress clothes but if I went again, I would opt to not have to pack the extra clothes.
    *Make sure your understand the tips that will be billed to your room. I'm thinking they were about $100 per person but I could be wrong about that.
    *if they are having a pirate party do plan on taking some dress up items. We got bandanas,beads and patches at a dollar store.
    *Make sure you get enough sleep, even if it means skipping a show. So many people are exhausted and cranky by the time the ship gets to Castaway Cay.
    *Get to the Port Canaveral as early as you can and register the kids in for their activities. They will get a special electronic wristband. Our kids had a lot of fun before the ship got crowded.
    *Go to some of the adult only areas and clubs. It is great to get away from all the kid noise for a while.
    *Take the art of the cruise ship tour. You'll learn a lot about the ship and its construction.

WOW...thanks so much!
  • Rogiefreida
    Rogiefreida Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    All good tips.

I would add that you want to make sure that when you disembark you bring all your required ID and passports as required. And to make sure you're on time for any shore excursions because they do leave without you if you're late. Got all the way to the gangplank and realized my husband left his wallet in our stateroom and we ran like hell through the boat to get back to our room, get his wallet so he could get back on the boat, and get back off the boat and ran to where our snorkeling excursion was leaving from to see that the group had left 3-4 minutes before we got there. Bye bye $100. That was a bummer.

Also, the towel animals are frickin awesome. Take pictures of them. :bigsmile:
  • smarieallen85
    smarieallen85 Posts: 535 Member
    Options
    I just got back from one! Didn't gain a pound and got to horseback ride on the beach (as seen in my profile pick)

I worked out 5 out of 8 days...Mostly body weight stuff (I don't think getting on a stinking elliptical machine does much for ya).

I ate smoked salmon for breakfast, salads for lunch (hot dog without bun if the the buffet was closed), and chose the healthy options a few nights for dinner but splurged a few nights as well. Wine every night but no beer and only 3 cocktails the whole trip.

Was so happy I came back tan and the same weight as before I left!
  • octhawk
    octhawk Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I went on a cruise last year on Holland America. It was really fun and I enjoyed all the excursions. I'd recommend at least looking into the excursions, but possibly not all of them as it gets expensive. But I'd definitely do the ones that get you doing things that aren't usually available to you.

Bring a camera

Holland America had a great on board medical clinic. I lost my my prescription meds for anti-nausea and I was really freaking out because I tale them for massive stomach issues that have nothing to do with being on a boat. Basically if I don't take them I can't eat. They were totally able to refill them! I thought I'd have get some less strong OTC meds and muddle through, but they refilled my prescription! All this is because so many say get meds before going if you never been on a boat, but they probably can prescribe them on the boat if you need them and didn't think you would beforehand.

I was bored on at sea days on Holland America. Maybe this is because Holland America caters to an older crowd or because I'm crazy and need to be constantly stimulated. If you have kids, you may want to plan for this though.

As for food, it is everywhere! You are constantly exposed. Since I'm so finicky, I didn't have a problem over eating, but my husband did. Know this ahead of time and have a plan. Maybe you use the on board gym everyday or know you have to work hard when you get back. There's healthy food choices too, so you could eat properly, but it's hard when there's cake everywhere and you have the vacation mentality. You probably won't have Internet service to log your food, so take a note pad if you want to keep track. They will have Internet in an intern cafe on the boat, but your phone won't be receiving and the price will be high.

All that said, I was actually hungry, so if you have an extremely picky child, you may want to plan for that.

Drinks are not included. I thought this meant alcoholic drinks, but it included sodas too. BTW it's easy to go overboard on the alcohol, which is more useless calories. Carnival cruises even has some sort of wrist band for free or lesser priced refills, but that was a weekend cruise. Holland America didn't have that and it could have been because it was a longer trip. Or because they don't call them selves the party ship. I suspect a 7 day cruise with Disney won't have that either, but it's still easy to go overboard.

Bring a swimsuit!

Have fun!
  • Annabear3
    Annabear3 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    We did a Disney cruise a couple years ago. It was a ton of fun. I love cruises because they include everything! It might be hard to not get tempted by all of the food they offer. Walk around the ship a lot and do every activity you can. It'll help balance out the food. I actually lost a lb on my last cruise because we were so active!
  • Sharon_C
    Sharon_C Posts: 2,132 Member
    Options
    I've been on 4. My best advice is to not cram everything in. Give yourself some down time. You don't have to do everything. Also, there is food literally 24 hours a day. Last year I gained 2 pounds on a 7 day cruise. I didn't worry too much about what I ate other than trying to get more fruit in than normal (the fruit is to die for!). I tried to offset the food by taking only the steps. And those two pounds came off within two weeks of returning home.

But don't worry about your eating. Just jump back into your healthy eating when you get back.

And most of all, HAVE FUN! Cruises are my favorite vacation ever. No worrying about cooking or cleaning or doing laundry. Literally everything is done for you.
  • engodwin
    engodwin Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    I LOVE to cruise!

You're going to have a good time (or like some be sea sick the whole time - I hope not)
    You're going to eat.... a LOT (or at least be tempted) They have a HUGE selection so chose the healthy options - but don't be afraid to splurge - it's vacation - enjoy it!
    You're also going to walk... a LOT (the ships are HUGE and you want to check out all the ports you stop in)
    Plan at least one excursion - you can thank me later
    Use the gym if you want - or not if you don't
    Swim every day - it burns tons of calories and is fun

Be on time!
    Bring required documents.
    Pack light - you don't need 50 bags/suit cases - you'll be half naked the whole trip anyways
    Bring multiple swim suites.
    Don't forget a nice outfit - one of my favorite nights is formal night!

Be nice to everyone - especially the staff (this should be a no brainer but...) They make the trip more awesome if you're nice/friendly with them

Don't drink water in ports - just don't - trust me on this one!
    Get your doc to prescribe some antibiotics (traveler's diarrhea) before you leave - in case you drink the water (ice!)
    Consider immunizations

Rest often - you can thank me later

Use the amenities that are free with your cruise - all of them LOL < JK but you should know what comes with your room/booking

Enjoy yourself! Have fun!

Edited for typo
  • RunnerStephe
    RunnerStephe Posts: 2,195
    Options
    Yes, Mediterranean cruise and 5 years in the navy. Does that count? If you get in rough waters, eat crackers, or you will get sea sick.
  • becky10rp
    becky10rp Posts: 573 Member
    Options
    Actually going on a cruise tomorrow!

This is my 5th - here's my $0.02 -

- if you are going on one of the Big Name cruises, you won't need the Dramamine - (Royal Caribbean, Carnival, Celebrity, etc) - these ships are so huge they are basically little cities on the water)!

- check out the gyms on board - they have EVERYTHING and they are awesome!

- bring an empty water bottle - fill it up so you get lots of water daily and don't fill up on booze or sugary drinks

- if you're a 'morning person' like me, get up early and do laps around the top-most-deck - a lot of the ships have built-in tracks - a beautiful and invigorating way to wake up!

- as far as food goes - there certainly is PLENTY; my little 'rule' is - if I have dessert, I can't have a drink at night.......so I gotta pick one or the other!

Have a great time - pack your work-out gear so you won't have any excuses!