Underwired Sports Bras?

Options
My current sports bra is falling apart and I was looking to get a new one. I'm a 30G (the internet tells me that's a 30F in US sizings) and rowing is pretty much my only form of exercise at the moment.

Looking online, there are a whole load of underwired sports bras. I guess I have some questions as I've only ever used non-underwired in the past.

Are they comfortable?
Do they interfere with the heart rate monitor?
Do they still look utterly hideous when on a real person and not a model?
How do they compare to non-underwired bras (not compression though. The ladies burnt the compression bra the moment they managed to struggle out of it at the end of the workout)?

Replies

• scb515
    scb515 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Hey, are you local to me? (I'm North London.)

I'm a 30FF or 30G in UK sizing dependent on the brand and I swear by Panache Sport. I wasn't sold at first, it's underwired and moulded and I hate moulded bras normally, but they stop the bouncing. Completely. I can't run in a normal bra, it's a whole world of pain, but my sports one is so comfy.

Can't wear it on an everyday basis, it's so damn ugly - a bit like a crop top, a high surface area is needed to stop the jiggling - and I don't like what it does to my shape, but it works so well. I wear it to the gym and running.

Never worn non-wired, I don't feel I get enough support.
  • Nicolee_2014
    Nicolee_2014 Posts: 1,572 Member
    Options
    Wire all the way!
    I don't feel like I am wearing a bra if it doesn't have wires. I'm only in a D cup. It doesn't interfere with my HRM.
    As for the looks department, I don't care, it's comfortable & keeps me in place. Plus, I don't prance around in only my bra, sooo :laugh:
  • Dragonnade
    Dragonnade Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    YES scb515! Wood Green-ish. Might move away though - the air is destroying my lungs (helped by a chest infection for >6 months) - hence why rowing's all I'm doing. Too much in the way of fumes to get to the gym :(

Does it ever dig in randomly? Like with normal bras I tend to find some like to rub below the armpit - others try to burrow through the sternum. With the rowing there's quite a lot of under arm movement that if there's the slightest rub it gets painful really quickly.
  • Dragonnade
    Options
    Nicolee_2014 - I love to prance around in just my underwear! I'd pretend it was the heat, but it's also vanity.

Is the general feeling then, that they're as comfortable as a normal bra, but with near-mystical ability to hold one's norks in place?
  • scb515
    Options
    Doesn't dig in at all. Cost me around £50, but so worth it. Get yourself over to Bravissimo for a fitting - there's one just off Oxford Circus. It does look pretty ridiculous IMHO, but having worked out in a sports bra and in a regular bra, yes, it does have magic powers.

I think I live pretty close to you! That never happens - usually everyone here is several hundred miles away, we might actually be neighbours. :)
  • Dragonnade
    Options
    Are you the one who's house alarm goes off 8 times a day for 45 minutes? ;)

I'm a bit too broken to manage more than one trip into Central a fortnight atm, which is a shame. I think I'm going to see what I can find online and take advantage of distance selling regs if it doesn't fit. That or surprise my boyfriend with a visit just to use the store in Milton Keynes... Either way, I think you guys have sold me enough that I'm going to give the underwire a chance, at least once! :)

• scb515
    Options
    Ummm... ;)

My tip is to try the bra on, give yourself a few minutes to get used to it (it will feel a little weird at first) and jump. Again and again.

Yes, you feel like an idiot jumping, but when you realise your chest isn't bouncing up and down, you'll know you've found the one.

Good luck! :)
  • shapefitter
    shapefitter Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    After a few washes, the wire comes out anyway. Wires don't give support, you'll find it is the overall design that gives support.
  • scb515
    Options
    After a few washes, the wire comes out anyway. Wires don't give support, you'll find it is the overall design that gives support.

I handwash bras. Really prolongs their life.
  • Dragonnade
    Options
    Hand... wash?

With all the talk of jumping, part of me wants to get scientific about it. Like when they attach balls to people's limbs to check their action for sport. But attached to nips to see the range of bounce.

That'd be ridiculous though.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options

They do give support- other bra's with other structure work as well- but an underwire bra is just fine.

I have some regular compression bras- and I have some molded bras- and when I can't wear my molded ones- I use a regular medium compression bra with an underwire- results are about the same.

I don't hand wash mine- I do NOT have the time- but I do not put them in the drier- that does help as well.

As for getting scientific- heh- bouncing can definitely effect the nipple motion- how do you think tassel twirling works ;)
  • SuperJo1972
    SuperJo1972 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    I recently got resized in m&s. They had a cute pink /orange underwired sports bra. It is great, very supportive and comfortable. I'm a 36E and it works very well for me. just checked and it's on sale, I might just get another. :-) http://m.marksandspencer.com/mt/www.marksandspencer.com/high-impact-flexible-underwired-non-padded-full-cup-sports-a-g-bra/p/p22272962?jsrl=stop&un_jtt_redirect
  • kristydi
    kristydi Posts: 781 Member
    Options

I haven't found this to be true at all. Compression sports bras just make everything bounce together. My underwire sports bras actually provide support and reduce bounce.

I don't hand wash, but washing on gentle in lingerie bags then air drying seems to work pretty well.

I have a Panache underwire that I love. I have a Freya that's pretty good as well. I'm a 36FF. I can not run comfortably without a really good sports bra. I've never found one I like without underwires.

ETA I wear a HRM with no problems. I tuck it just under the bottom edge of the bra.
  • siddhartha0782
    siddhartha0782 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Thick sportsbras with underwire definitely stop the jiggle. I'm 40DDD now but until recently was 44G. Until i got a pair (as a gift) I never knew a sportsbra can be so comfortable (it was a lane bryant brand).
    I don't handwash my bras, but I certainly never put them in the drier. That makes them last.