Why am I doing this?

Options
Several months ago, for a case of gout, I went to the doctor. When the doctor checked my blood pressure, she was alarmed at the numbers she saw. She voiced her concern that my blood pressure was approaching stroke range. I was told that I needed to lose some weight and change my diet......I was not convinced.

Taking the prescibed medicine, I thought, would be good enough. However, there was a voice in the back of my mind which kept telling me that I needed to listen to what the doctor had told me. You see, my grandfather also had high blood pressure, and he experienced his first (of 3) heart attacks when he was 36 years old. I am 39 years old. I am the father of three beautiful children and am lucky enough to be married to the greatest woman in the world. I want to be around for a long time in order to share in the experiences of my children; their joys, triumphs, tears and their love. The road I was headed down would not allow me to experience these things......something needed to be done.

For my birthday my wife had bought me a Jawbone UP band to track my daily activities to help with my health. MFP, as you are all probably well aware, can be linked to the UP to further help with diet and exercise and such. Finally, I broke down and started with my lifestyle change.

I have lost around 29 pounds and am eating healthy. I feel great! Who would have ever thought that a proper diet and exercise would make you feel so good? This program, MFP and the UP band, are helping to keep me on track. It has sparked a determination in me to finish the course in a healthy way. Thank you MFP for the tools necessary to accomplish this.

Replies

• shadowjack1965
    shadowjack1965 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I have lost around 29 pounds and am eating healthy. I feel great! Who would have ever thought that a proper diet and exercise would make you feel so good? This program, MFP and the UP band, are helping to keep me on track. It has sparked a determination in me to finish the course in a healthy way. Thank you MFP for the tools necessary to accomplish this.
    Simply superb! Glad you found that place within yourself to implement the change you need in order to get your life back. You're well on your journey and will hopefully attain your goals.

Best advice I can give is NEVER stop logging in MFP. EVER. I dropped 32 lbs 2.5 years ago and hit a point where I wasn't logging anymore, figuring I had my routine down. Mistake. Old habits took over and I gained most of it back.

Today I'm below the weight I'd reached that time and though I sometimes get tempted to "go it on my own" w/o MFP I resist because of my past mistake.

Keep it up my man, you can do it.
  • eric5577
    eric5577 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Well done!!! I read your post on mine and came here an read yours!!! We should be able to relate. So keep up the good work, and an suggestions that can help me, please send my way!!

Keep up the good work!!!!

Eric!
  • serendipity57
    serendipity57 Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    Well done, I am now off all blood pressure meds, it's amazing what a healthier lifestyle can do
  • potchizle
    potchizle Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    The last time I checked my blood pressure (yesterday) it was 115/67. I believe that is in part to the medication that I am taking, but also due to my healthier lifestyle. It is amazing, and exciting at the same time.