Italian stuffed peppers - less than 400 calories

Options
Francl27
Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
I used the 'philadelphia cheesesteak pepper' idea to make this one.

One green pepper
5oz of lean ground beef
28g of shredded part skim mozzarella
1/4 of an onion
Garlic, salt, pepper and Italian spices to taste
2/3 tablespoons of pizza/tomato sauce (enough to coat all the meat)

Cut pepper in two, clean up the inside. Cook the beef with onions in a pan (I used 1/2 tsp of olive oil) with the spices until brown. Add pizza sauce and let simmer for a couple minutes. Spoon mixture into peppers, top with mozzarella, put in oven at 400 degrees for a few minutes until the cheese is melted.

Calories will depend on the meat/sauce used but I used 96% ground beef and it was around 400 calories (42g of protein) for the two halves... Filling and delicious.

Next I'm trying it Mexican style.

Replies

• WadeLam
    WadeLam Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    Go you! I'm thinking of trying it "pepperoni pizza" style, with pizza sauce, pepperoni, mozzarella and parmesan, and a dash of Italian seasoning! Basically the same as yours, but without the beef. I, myself, am not much on ground beef-stuffed peppers, mainly because my grandmother made them so often when I was a child, and hers were terrible. LOL.

Might be good Hawaiian style too - stuffed with ham and a topped with a roasted pineapple ring.

So many options! :)
  • Sunflwer3
    Sunflwer3 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    That sounds great! Thanks for sharing!
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Go you! I'm thinking of trying it "pepperoni pizza" style, with pizza sauce, pepperoni, mozzarella and parmesan, and a dash of Italian seasoning! Basically the same as yours, but without the beef. I, myself, am not much on ground beef-stuffed peppers, mainly because my grandmother made them so often when I was a child, and hers were terrible. LOL.

Might be good Hawaiian style too - stuffed with ham and a topped with a roasted pineapple ring.

So many options! :)

I'll try with some Italian sausage next time.
  • Mygsds
    Mygsds Posts: 1,564 Member
    Options
    That sounds so good. I would like to do with rice, black beans, taco seasoning then salsa on top .. Finish off with lite sour cream before serving... You guys are so clever!!!!!!!
  • Michellekutz1
    Options
    I like to add chick peas to mine :)
  • deb54
    deb54 Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    This sounds delicious and all the other ideas sound super good too !!! Thanks for sharing !!!
  • deb54
    deb54 Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    Bump for later !
  • Slinky_BraveHeartBunsOfSteel
    Options
    *drools* Nice ideas! Saving for later :smile:
  • bruerin
    bruerin Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Will try making this sometime. Thank you.