Need friends who are eating more than 1200-1400 a day!

Options

Replies

• MKEgal
    MKEgal Posts: 3,250 Member
    Options
    I am at 1230 calories a day, working out every day for 45-75 minutes and hardly losing any weight. I am 5'7" anf 154lbs and want to lose about 10-15 pounds. i am jealous of those who are at 1800 calories a day. I gain weight easily when I eat more. Don't know what I am doing wrong.
    Your body is unique, so don't go by what other people can do.
    At your height, 154 is in a healthy BMI range.
    Maybe you need to hold there for a month or two before trying to lose any more, let your body get used to the idea.
    Here's a BMI chart: http://www.shapeup.org/bmi/bmi6.pdf
    To maintain that weight, eat about 1550 cal per day.
    Or try eating back 1/3 to 1/2 of what you're burning in exercise, on top of that 1550.
    One other site said to take your current weight, multiply it by 12 then subtract 500 for every pound you want to lose per week
    My doctor & dietician said to multiply your goal weight by 10 to get your calorie goal.
    OTOH, if you're very obese, and your current calories are more than 1000 over your goal weight calories, just drop 1000 and tweak it down as you lose weight until you're eating at your goal calories.
    What is TDEE?
    Total daily energy expenditure. It's your BMR (basal metabolic rate) + what you burn in movement.
    My dietician & doctor said to ignore what I burn in exercise, just go with a total calorie intake at my goal level (goal weight x 10) & treat exercise as a bonus toward weight loss. It's working so far.
    If I'm really hungry at the end of the day, I'll eat back 1/3 to 1/2 of what I burned in exercise.
    I feel that a lot of the people who eat 1200 or less are doing it that way because they truly don't know any better
    YIKES! Yes, NEVER eat below 1200 unless you're monitored by a doctor or very short.
    For the lady who said she was 4'2", it's reasonable that you would be below 1200.
    In fact, according to one BMI calculator I just played with, you should be no more than 88 lb to keep your BMI below 25, so that would mean an intake of 880 cal per day.
    7200 cals? Is that a typo?
    She said 7200 kJ (kilo joules), which would be 1721 kcal (kilo calories).
    1 kcal is just over 4 kJ.
    Here's a calculator: http://www.rapidtables.com/convert/energy/kj-to-kcal.htm
  • 2BeHappy2
    2BeHappy2 Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    I feel that a lot of the people who eat 1200 or less are doing it that way because they truly don't know any better
    YIKES! Yes, NEVER eat below 1200 unless you're monitored by a doctor or very short.
    For the lady who said she was 4'2", it's reasonable that you would be below 1200.
    In fact, according to one BMI calculator I just played with, you should be no more than 88 lb to keep your BMI below 25, so that would mean an intake of 880 cal per day.

Exactly!
    MPF doesn't go below that so in reality I am being allotted more than what its actually set as but I do try to stay w/in the 1200 because then I know that I am "safe"
    It really has baffled me how others much taller can be on such low #'s but like someone else said...to each their own!
    I did my own calculations and got different #'s based on how much I'd like to lose.
    Yes, I could be the weight of a child my height, which would put me at about 75 BUT realistically AND for health I believe 90-100lbs would be ideal for me.
    I got people questioning this post and people who chastised me for eating this on this day...I am NOT perfect, just as You go over your calories, at times I have too BUT I know that 880 can be a daunting # so I do try to at least stay w/in 1200.
    My 1200 is as good as Your 15, 18 & 2000 calories for you all!

TOPIC: People claiming to be full in tiny calorie amounts Sat 06/21/14 12:08 AM
    Candistyx...I can certainly understand your misgivings as it seems farfetched or too good to be true.
    I am with you on all this when I see people of your height and even a thread I was reading earlier of a 360lb 5'6 female who said she was on a 1200 calorie diet (http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1331580-new-here-360lbs-and-doing-the-1200-calorie-diet-am-i-nuts)
    Well..I am 4'2, so basically the height of a child...with my age and my current life being considered more or less "sedentary" and with what I was wanting to lose, MFP did initially have me set on 1230 calories but as I started to lose some weight, it lowered my intake total to where now its at 1200.
    This is what I ate 1 day last week:
    Calories Carbs Fat Protein Fiber Sugar
    Breakfast
    Egg - 1 Medium Hard Boiled, 2 whole 128 1 8 12 0 1 (total cals for 2)
    Lunch
    Light Yogurt, Lemon, 6 oz 80 12 0 7 1 9
    Banana - (Small), 6 - 6.9 inches 90 23 0 1 3 12
    Emerald - Dry Roasted Almonds - Per Nut, 10 nut 63 3 5 2 1 0
    Dinner:
    Baked Fresh - Spaghetti Squash 1 Cup, 2 cup 62 14 1 2 3 6 I replaced pasta w/ this...no it wasn't noodles but still good (2cups)
    Ragu - Meat Flavored Pasta Sauce, 1 Cup 140 20 6 4 4 12
    Parmesan Cheese* - Kraft 100%, 2 tsp (5 g) 20 0 2 2 0 0
    Green Beans - Fresh, Steamed, 0.75 cup cooked 26 6 0 2 3 2

Totals 609 79 22 32 15 42
    Remaining 591 71 18 28 10 3

Yes, this was a good day of having calories available for a later snack but I have also eaten enough food to feel satiated!
    BTW...for an evening snack I ended up having 2 cups of plain air popped popcorn which added another 30 calories.
    I am NOT always this good, this just happened to be a day that I got a fair amount of food in for the day with not all my calories being used!
    Theres days that I may run closer to the 1200 and if I know I might be having a day out, I make sure to get some exercise to input into MFP..
    For me its hard to fathom how someone gets that low of a # because at 1 point I gawked at what MFP assigned me to but I have to realize that I'm considerably shorter than the average person on here.
    Initially it was a struggle but I started learning how to swap things out.
    My 2 cup of spaghetti squash was very filling & I know that someone else would've made a "healthier" spaghetti sauce but my husband went w/ me on this "swap out" for the noodles so the nice thing I could do (for him) was keep his meat sauce.
    Of course I love pasta but its when I can make little changes like this that doesn't "break the bank," I can have calories to fall back on if I need to.
    We love popcorn...the bagged is more expensive and has more things in it than what I need.
    I have come to love plain air popped popcorn (for about 2 cups, put 2-3 Tbsp kernels in a brown lunch bag, fold down 2-3times (tape it if you want), put in your microwave).
    My husband has not gotten used to plain popcorn so he sprays a little butter or seasoning on his...just enough for a little flavor.
    He's somewhat picky so I was surprised when he wanted to buy more sugar free fudgsicles (he'd found mine and tried it), said he couldn't tell any real difference!
    Its little things like this that can add up to a lot of saved calories!
    I did splurge today...I rarely have fast food fries anymore and when I do, its usually just a few off my husbands food but most of the time I am good about the temptation.
    I remember not too long ago not having a care in the world and not even thinking about what I was eating, or how much of it.
    Long gone are the days of endless, nonstop, not a care in the world of what I eat attitude.
    No, Im not perfect...today I had something I haven't had for a long time.
    Raleys/Checkers Fry Lovers Burger...if you don't know what that is...use your imagination...burger & fries all in 1!
    Oh for only 600 calories....yes I was in shock!
    For breakfast I had 1 cup of sugar free jello which was 10 calories and 2 pieces of 35 cal toasted bread w/ 1/2 Tbsp of sugar free jelly on each which was 85 calories so a total of 95 calories
    Then for dinner I had 1 small grilled chicken thigh 95 calories and 1 stuffed green pepper which was 190 so a total of 285.
    That brings it to 980 calories and since I did have to work at keeping up w/ my husband (daddy long legs), I know I burned some calories when we were out today.
    I still have 220 left (of the 1200) which isn't as good as the 1 day I had last week but that's ok...no ones perfect!
    The 2 kinds of people that I get shocked at are 1's that say "add me as a friend, I do 1200, check my food diary" and theyre like consistently over...which doesn't really say that theyre on that calorie goal.
    Or people that say that and when you do view what they eat, its junk, things I cant pronounce or a lot of liquid drinks that I would be so hungry on.
    Sure I could eat 2 of these burgers but that would #1 max out my 1200.
    #2 I would have nothing extra to fall back on for when I do get hungry...again!
    Ill send you some low calorie suggestions!
  • DeterminedBex
    DeterminedBex Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    FR sent
  • HelenWater
    HelenWater Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    I'm just curious, but what does someone else's diet have to do with you selecting them as part of your circle of friends here?

I would guess that as social creatures we like to hang out with people who have similar values. People who smoke feel comfortable with people who smoke and that behaviour is normalised. I think the same could go for other aspects of lifestyle, so it makes sense if you are exercising to get fit and eating to get healthy you would like to hang out with that crowd.
  • beautifulwarrior18
    beautifulwarrior18 Posts: 914 Member
    Options
    I eat 2150, lift 4x a week and am doing c25k. Feel free to add me!
  • beautifulwarrior18
    beautifulwarrior18 Posts: 914 Member
    Options
    I'm just curious, but what does someone else's diet have to do with you selecting them as part of your circle of friends here?

I would guess that as social creatures we like to hang out with people who have similar values. People who smoke feel comfortable with people who smoke and that behaviour is normalised. I think the same could go for other aspects of lifestyle, so it makes sense if you are exercising to get fit and eating to get healthy you would like to hang out with that crowd.

Plus it's also super annoying to listen to people ***** and moan that they went over or that they aren't losing or that they are so hungry when they just aren't eating enough. I'm sorry, but if you're 300 lbs, you need more than 1200 calories to fuel your body.
  • TheFrugalFatass
    TheFrugalFatass Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Jumping in here to totally put words in the OP's mouth (I hope she doesn't mind!):

When joining a community like this, it's more helpful to partner with like-minded people. For example, I am in my late 40's with 50 lbs to lose. I'm going to feel like people who are in my same boat will be able to help me more, so I'm probably not going to ask advice from people who are in their early 20s and have more than 100 lbs to lose.
  • tilsherm
    tilsherm Posts: 2
    Options
    I shoot for 2040 per day, but end up eating more because of all of the exercise I do. I am still working on tweaking my diet... just can't seem to get enough carbs. Feel free to browse... fair warning, sometimes I "forget" to log weekends.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options

less likely to have to deal with the OMG i had an extra spoonful of rice at lunch now i'm over calories what should i do?!?! posts

and definitely less : i messed up bad today and binged [ because of a super restrictive diet] whoa is me post.

it's been scientifically proven that more food = less whining :laugh:

anyway, OP feel free to add me. i target 1600-2000 calories a day. i eat anything that fits in my calories if i want it. i lift, i run, i curse
  • blazingsun14
    blazingsun14 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    1600 is my daily limit.But I exercise a lot so I can cheat a little :) Feel free to add me
  • love2lift_85
    love2lift_85 Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    Feel free to add me.

I like food. 1700-1900 most days here.
  • HelenWater
    HelenWater Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    7,200 kilojoules (metric in Australia) is about equivalent to 1,700 calories.
  • JennaD075
    JennaD075 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I'm at 1600 because I am not very active at the moment. Hope to up it to about 1700-1800 next week. OP I have sent you a request. I like your topic.
  • Delquin
    Delquin Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Hi there! Burying the spam that got posted on this board and bringing up the real posts to the top.

I eat 1200/day, but haven't had any string cheese or cereal. I have protein shakes, salads, hamburger, stir fry, hot dogs, fresh fruit...
  • 212ackley
    212ackley Posts: 431 Member
    Options
    Mine is set at 1700, and I try not to eat back any exercise calories unless I truly am hungry or am in need of a treat(lol)-- would love for anyone to add me as a friend!
  • earthboundmisfit
    earthboundmisfit Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    I eat more than 1200 if I work out a lot.
  • Genette38
    Genette38 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Hi! Looks like you've had a lot of request already but if you can handle one more, count me in!

I'm re-starting MFP after falling off the wagon. My target is about 1750 a day but I'm more concerned with the quality of food I'm eating. If I'm hungry and I want some fruit or something I'm not going to worry abut going over a bit.

I'm also happy to accept friend requests from any of the other posters on this thread :flowerforyou:
  • Tora32
    Tora32 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I'm still at 2/week (trying to loosely follow the commonly quoted goal recommendations around here), and that puts me just over 1600 right now, though admittedly some days I'm better at hitting that than others. I see 1200 as a bare minimum for the day, with the goal number as the ideal to get up to so I have enough energy and such during the day. So yep, feel free to add me if you'd like. :)
  • aformeat34
    aformeat34 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    my calorie limit is 1780. feel free to FR me.
  • WWH_AJ
    WWH_AJ Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    I eat around 1600 calories a day. When I first started, I ate around 1200 and lost a lot of weight, but then I started plateauing and started seeing results again when I upped calories. Now I'm either losing a little along or maintaining, which is fine with me because I'm trying to tone more than lose weight at this point. Feel free to add me!!