Not losing weight-- what am I doing wrong?

Options

Replies

• nomeejerome
    nomeejerome Posts: 2,616 Member
    Options
    You people are being very unfair. Not everyone in the world has to weigh every thing they eat to lose weight! It' actually a waste of time in my opinion. This girl is working out for 4 hours a day! Obviously she is burning a lot of calories and yall are being so cruel. Where is the support? Even if she wasn't eating exactly 1200 calories, what's a few more? She is working out more than any of you all and is worried and all yall do is say she is underestimating everything.

Occam's razor my friend. First, you must rule out the hypothesis with the least number of assumption. That is almost always that the person who claims they are making higher-than-normal levels of calorie expenditure is overestimating calories burned or plain out being dishonest with themselves. Have a thyroid isuee (~12% of population) requires significantly higher assumptions.

She should get it checked. It won't hurt but she should also take a humble pill and realize she might not be the calorie-burning goddess her HRM claims she is.

Okay. My bad. I didn't say I was a calorie burning goddess. All I'm saying is that I weigh 200 lbs and workout for 3-4 hours a day. I SHOULD be losing weight based on my diet combined with that. And I'm not. I'm gonna see a doctor. Seriously, don't be rude. This is supposed to be a supportive community. I GUESS I'VE BEEN WRONG. I'M NOT AN AMAZING CALORIE BURNING GODDESS. THANKING FOR SHINING YOUR LIGHT AND WISDOM ON ME. YOU ARE MY HERO.

Relax. You asked a question and you received answers. (even if you don't like what people have to say) If you are not losing weight, there is a miscalculation somewhere and you have not found a calorie deficit.
  • monrizz90
    monrizz90 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    ok. i'm a dumbass. please stop replying so i can bury my head in the sand now.
  • rainynight3L33
    rainynight3L33 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Don't worry. You are probably losing fat and gaining muscle. It's a good thing, so forget the scale.
  • kimnsc
    kimnsc Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    Are you weighing and measuring EVERYTHING you eat and are you logging liquid calories? In the beginning that was my problem. If you are consistently working out and measuring/weighing your food, not drinking your calories and not exceeding calorie allotment....Yeah I would see a Dr.
  • monrizz90
    Options
    Don't worry. You are probably losing fat and gaining muscle. It's a good thing, so forget the scale.
    No she is not.

Okay. Seriously. This thread is over. Just stop.
  • LULU4178
    LULU4178 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    You are not a dumbass. You asked a question because you want to learn. People responded in various ways with various degrees of politeness. Whatever. Just read the posts and find one or some that seem right to you and do that. Ignore the others. Don't bury your head in the sand--keep going!

In my experience, I have gone for periods of 2-4 weeks and the scale doesn't move or goes up (only checking once per week). Then one day, bam!, 4 pounds gone and they stay gone. Hard to stay motivated but you just have to believe that the results will come as a result of your hard work.

I would check your diet. I thought I was eating a healthy, balanced diet, but I was not getting enough protein. Once I started eating more protein, I feel "full" and have a difficult time eating as much food as needed to reach my daily calorie goal.
  • rainynight3L33
    rainynight3L33 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    No she is not.

My comment was addressed at another poster. If you feel you've gotten what you need from it then back out. However, the thread is here and in public so we respond as we feel necessary.

Ok I was just trying to be nice but in my case that is what is happening for me. I am gaining muscle and losing fat. I can tell by how I look and how my clothes fit. :smile:
  • monrizz90
    Options
    No she is not.

My comment was addressed at another poster. If you feel you've gotten what you need from it then back out. However, the thread is here and in public so we respond as we feel necessary.

Ok I was just trying to be nice but in my case that is what is happening for me. I am gaining muscle and losing fat. I can tell by how I look and how my clothes fit. :smile:

you've been lovely and helpful. thank you very much. i was referring to the other poster.
  • monrizz90
    Options
    You are not a dumbass. You asked a question because you want to learn. People responded in various ways with various degrees of politeness. Whatever. Just read the posts and find one or some that seem right to you and do that. Ignore the others. Don't bury your head in the sand--keep going!

In my experience, I have gone for periods of 2-4 weeks and the scale doesn't move or goes up (only checking once per week). Then one day, bam!, 4 pounds gone and they stay gone. Hard to stay motivated but you just have to believe that the results will come as a result of your hard work.

I would check your diet. I thought I was eating a healthy, balanced diet, but I was not getting enough protein. Once I started eating more protein, I feel "full" and have a difficult time eating as much food as needed to reach my daily calorie goal.

great advice. i'll look more at ~what~ food i'm eating. i might be skimping on the protein and eating too much fat.
  • Glossysweets
    Options
    The one thing that is missing from all this info is how you feel. Don't stress about your current situation. Just keep visualizing yourself as how you want to be and keep putting in the work. Pay attention to the types of food you are eating and how you feel after eating them. Keep water intake high. But just be positive. If you are feeling better and being proud of yourself then the rest will happen if you are doing everything else.
  • monrizz90
    Options
    The one thing that is missing from all this info is how you feel. Don't stress about your current situation. Just keep visualizing yourself as how you want to be and keep putting in the work. Pay attention to the types of food you are eating and how you feel after eating them. Keep water intake high. But just be positive. If you are feeling better and being proud of yourself then the rest will happen if you are doing everything else.

you're right. thank you. i'm going to try and approach this journey with a little more positivity.
  • theapphaniaa
    Options
    I don't know if anyone else has said this yet, but if you haven't invested in a measuring tape, you definitely should!
    Sometimes you may gain weight, but you're losing inches!
    Which just means you're gaining muscle. :)
    Not saying that's the problem, just throwing it out there!
  • kdhamner
    kdhamner Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    The thing that helped me was increasing my protein. Also look for empty calories that you can get rid of (from juices, soda, and other sweetened drinks). Good luck! You can do this.
  • pensierobello
    pensierobello Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    I've lost 17 pounds since mid-May with a daily intake of 1400, doing a sensible walk (30-40 mins) a day, doing a couple of big swims and cycles a week, and eating around there, or more if I've exercised (I eat half my calories back, so some days I've gone up to 2200 or even gone over three times in a week and still lost).

If your net calories are minus or only up to 500, you need to eat more. Then you won't feel rubbish. Don't overexercise either, it won't help. Also, if you don't need to lose a lot (e.g. only 20 pounds) then don't go wild with what you want to lose per week. Slow and steady wins the race.

Oh, and listen to what people are telling you and try not to be upset that they're trying to help!
  • Janette3x4
    Janette3x4 Posts: 135
    Options
    Okay. Just stop replying on here. It's all my fault. Great. See y'all. :laugh:

I just want to say that a little of what everyone said is what you should know and listen to. But ALSO- you are beautiful! You are working so hard, losing inches and that's what's working. A lot of people focus too much on the scale. Look in the mirror! ???? Have a great day. Don't give up.