Help! I binged.....again....

Options
2»

Replies

• suzievv
    suzievv Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    Make a rule: every time you binge, you have to increase your calorie intake by 200-500 calories every day for a week. And it's true, 1200 could be too low in general anyway.
    Ditto what the previous person said about eating good protein at every meal. Our bodies need protein and fat, and protein and fat provide satisfaction. You are doing great to continue logging your calories even during binges !!!
  • BarbieFromHellx
    BarbieFromHellx Posts: 758 Member
    Options
    I'm in the same boat. It's when I feel sh*tty about myself and my life that I stop caring about my goals and my health and I eat whatever I want and drink myself into oblivion haha.

It's always just a phase that you need to break out of yourself. I always go long periods without feeling like this, but they come back now and again to haunt me (like now lol).
  • suzievv
    suzievv Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    Whoa! I'm sure ZaCk would call me a pig and a loser too!!

You are not alone in dealing with binges and having to figure out how to stop or prevent them. For a lot of people, this is something they face during their weight loss journey. You haven't given up, you're logging the calories, and you're on here looking for solutions. That kind of attitude WILL lead you to your goal weight.
  • ZaCkOX
    ZaCkOX Posts: 115
    Options
    I'm not trying to be the jerk here. I am telling you what works. We choose to be losers. I was the same way. I stopped myself and I said NO MORE.

If you want to lose weight you have to fight for it or you won't make it. Everyone is different and everyone can lose weight differently but you cannot cheat the game of calories in and calories out. So my point is, STOP and DO SOMETHING ABOUT IT.

Every time you grab food, you are allowing yourself to not lose weight, you are accepting that you are a loser.
  • Froggymcconnell
    Froggymcconnell Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    all these people claiming 1,200 is not enough - really??

I have lost 2 stone eating 1,200 - I now have slightly higher cals now but only slightly and I haven't binged once so all this that's why you binge is just foolish talk!

OP: yes you have had a little extra - these things can happen - just forget about it and don't dwell on it and you will get back in the swing of things - if you constantly are need to binge then either your not serious enough about losing weight or your deficit is way to high! eat a wee bit more and find the balance right for you!
  • shafa4321
    shafa4321 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    Starving doesn't lead to binged, if it did, I would of stopped starving myself months ago. I lost 75 lbs. in 6-7 months with extensive exercise included. If you eat like a pig, YOU ARE NOT READY TO FIGHT YOUR DEPRESSION AND LOSE WEIGHT.

So in other words, your a loser. Get used to it now, OR FIGHT BACK. Look at yourself and ask, what do you want? Stop the excuses and do what is necessary. Otherwise you will always go backwards. Get to exercising and mentally train your brain what you want. If you cannot be mentally strong, you will fail. You want our help but we cannot tap into your brain, YOU HAVE TO.

Love it
  • pbbagel
    pbbagel Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Starving doesn't lead to binged, if it did, I would of stopped starving myself months ago. I lost 75 lbs. in 6-7 months with extensive exercise included. If you eat like a pig, YOU ARE NOT READY TO FIGHT YOUR DEPRESSION AND LOSE WEIGHT.

So in other words, your a loser. Get used to it now, OR FIGHT BACK. Look at yourself and ask, what do you want? Stop the excuses and do what is necessary. Otherwise you will always go backwards. Get to exercising and mentally train your brain what you want. If you cannot be mentally strong, you will fail. You want our help but we cannot tap into your brain, YOU HAVE TO.

This advise seems so confusing to me.
    I would say that starving (among other things) DOES lead to binging. It's why people rapidly gain weight back and more after crash dieting, or why bulimics starve then binge then repeat.
    The OP is not a loser and is not making excuses...
  • emilyann4
    emilyann4 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Just know that you are not alone. I've been doing really well… running a few times a week and lifting weights. I have not overly restricted myself, just been eating wholesome foods that I prepare myself. Then I got really stressed at work today (i found out that i had to work all night) and I just blew it. I literally ate 2300 calories today, which is so not okay and now i obviously want to cry.

The thing is, i know that it's stress eating. I know i'm not hungry. I have to switch my thought process when this happens. Maybe keep tea in the office so that i get up and get that to calm me down instead of vending machine madness.

What's more frustrating is despite increasing my workouts exponentially, i'm just not losing weight. My clothes fit better, i'm stronger and faster, but the scale isn't so convinced. This leaves me feeling hopeless and helpless. I can't convince myself that the issue here is muscle weighing more than fat. I see my stomach jiggle still.

Feeling sorry for myself. No, wait, that's what leads to the binging …I think this is the only place where i can admit that that's actually what i'm doing. Thanks for support.
  • Losingthedamnweight
    Losingthedamnweight Posts: 535 Member
    Options
    Drink lots of water and get some exercise! The puffiness will go down within a day or two and a week from now you won't been remember you screwed up. We all have days like this! You're not weak or horrible. You're normal. You're like all of us. And ya know what we do when we screw up? Get back on the wagon with an even more intense motivation to kick butt than ever before! You got this
  • Patttience
    Patttience Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    Probably what's worse than the binging, which doesn't sound too bad in your case if i'm honest, is the way you beat yourself up about it.

This is a big problem. Perhaps its time to read a book like mind over binge. Or other books that tackle binge eating.

I used to be a binge eater, But i'd eat a 2 litre tub of icecream followed by anything else i had bought with sugar in it. Once i start eating sugar i can't stop. But i gave up beating myself up long ago.

now i've given up eating sugar. I'm not saying you should do that too. However it has helped me a lot.

Probably why you are wanting to binge is located in your mood, stress levels, fatigue or even seratonin levels which will be below conscious awareness.

So to make sure you get plenty of sleep at night time, eat regular healthy meals maximising vegetables and fruit, include protein in at least 2 out of 3 meals. Do not over eat high carb foods like pasta and bread. Moderation is key with those foods. Try to be aware if you are stressed and learn skills to deal with it. Often its about better communication and nurturing self talk. Sometimes you may need to find a counsellor.

look after all aspects of yourself.
  • tomatosoup3
    tomatosoup3 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I really understand what you're going through and just wanted to say that it's really strong of you to accurately log everything you eat, even (especially) if you eat 3500. I can't bring myself to record my calories when they're really over. It's a huge step to recovery, in my opinion.
  • misskarne
    misskarne Posts: 1,767 Member
    Options
    Every time you grab food, you are allowing yourself to not lose weight, you are accepting that you are a loser.

Well, this sounds like someone with a pretty big eating disorder....

*eating while posting, spag bol night, YUM!*
  • willywonka_71
    willywonka_71 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I'm not trying to be the jerk here. I am telling you what works. We choose to be losers. I was the same way. I stopped myself and I said NO MORE.

If you want to lose weight you have to fight for it or you won't make it. Everyone is different and everyone can lose weight differently but you cannot cheat the game of calories in and calories out. So my point is, STOP and DO SOMETHING ABOUT IT.

You have some very disordered views on food and weight loss.

Your previous post seems to have been deleted, but you mentioned that starving yourself does not lead to a binge.

That is completely false. Starving yourself is the MAIN reason why people do end up binge eating. It is your body's way of trying to make up for the lack of calories/energy you have been giving it, and your mind's way of trying to feel satisfied. (Eating does not only have a physiological response, it also has psychological responses as well)

Often, anorexic persons will switch disorders from starving themselves, to binge eating. Some keep switching back and forth (like I used to do during the worse phase of my eating disorder), thus becoming a very dangerous cycle. Starving and binge eating go hand in hand.

OP- In your case, I am going to guess that 1200 calories is just not enough for you to be eating to have your body and mind stay sane. And, what works for me as someone who has struggled with binge eating is to not avoid or take out foods that I crave/love. I incorporate them every day.

An example for me is peanut butter. I love that stuff. If I did not care about health or weight or anything, I would and could eat a jar a day. But that is not healthy at all.

So instead, I include peanut butter every day into my calorie allowance. I weigh out the right amount I allow myself, eat it and feel good about having peanut butter. And the fact that I know that I can eat more tomorrow, and the next day and the next (etc) makes me not have an urge to binge because I get to have it whenever I want.

Binge eating is an emotional roller coaster. Something can trigger it (like a bad day), but even after you feel better about the bad day, it is hard to break the cycle of the binge as it is a strong reaction. Sometimes it has taken me weeks to get back on track.

My advice is to recognize when you are binge eating, and stop and ask yourself why you are doing it. And then ask yourself if you are going to feel better about yourself if you stop it right there and try to keep doing better, or if you will feel better about yourself to continue the binge. I think most people would feel better about themselves by stopping a binge.

Remember, you can always fix the damage a binge has done (in your case your binges are not extreme and have not been weeks on end so I don’t think you did any harm to your weight loss) so don’t get down about it. What happened is done, just pick yourself up, dust that dirt off your shoulder, smile, love yourself and remember that you are NOT your binge – it does not define you. You are you, and you can kick and fight back and get back on track with your goals. It was just a speed bump is all!

Best of luck!