What do you do for pasta?

Options

Replies

• Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    Ronzoni Smart Taste. Typically a few less calories than regular pasta, plus has extra fiber. I can't tell the difference between it and regular pasta.

I don't typically substitute anything for pasta. If I want Pasta or macaroni and cheese or spaghetti, I have 1-2 servings and fit it into my calorie goal.
  • apparations
    apparations Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    I loooooove pasta and I can't live without it! But I did have to cut back a lot when I started tracking calories. I used to eat pasta several times a week... now it's only once or twice a month. But I always go for the real stuff-- no spaghetti squash or zucchini noodles for me. When I want pasta, it's because I'm craving carbs, and I'm sooooo satisfied afterward. I do miss fettuccine alfredo though... so many calories :(
  • KseRz
    KseRz Posts: 980 Member
    Options
    I tried the whole wheat pastas and despised them. The Ronzoni Smart Taste pastas are actually very close to normal pasta in texture but with more fiber and protein.

But mostly, I don't eat a lot of pasta any more and almost never as an entree. If i do, I'll go fro a pasta I really love like gnocchi or tortellini.

I actually prefer the wheat pasta to the "regular". I do like the flavor and the texture to Barilla Wheat Linguine. I mix that with Shrimp Scampi and allow the scampi sauce to cover all of the pasta. Its delicious.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Usually a quinoa or other whole grain pasta. Been doing that for 12+ years. In summer I'll do spaghetti squash or some other squash pasta as well.
  • Jelaan
    Jelaan Posts: 815 Member
    Options
    We eat rice pasta more often than any other type. I bought it for myself because it is g.f. but my kids love it and ask for it. I only eat enough to fit in my calorie count and macros, but I thoroughly enjoy it.
  • Tracywithawhy
    Options
    You can cook cauliflower into a macaroni like texture...cauliflower is a great replacement for potatoes as well. Also there is a great string squash with some tomatoes (you use a fork to scrape it out of the skin) Yummy. Overall you must find those foods that will take you way off course and learn a new routine....I don't know if pasta is yours but pizza and chips are mine...ugh so I can't have them around...yet????
  • angieroo2
    angieroo2 Posts: 973 Member
    Options
    I eat less of it. Sometimes I buy the brown pasta and sometimes rice pasta, but overall I just eat regular white pasta.
  • lisalsd1
    lisalsd1 Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    My mom used to eat Shirataki noodles. I have never had them. She said they tasted fine...and are lower cal/carb. I believe they are tofu-based.

I don't like pasta, so I'm lucky there. I do like rice, but started subbing quinoa (for the higher protein). I will use spaghetti squash in the fall. Even my kids like it.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    My mom used to eat Shirataki noodles. I have never had them. She said they tasted fine...and are lower cal/carb. I believe they are tofu-based.

I don't like pasta, so I'm lucky there. I do like rice, but started subbing quinoa (for the higher protein). I will use spaghetti squash in the fall. Even my kids like it.
    some are made from tofu. Some are made from a Japanese yam.
  • Velum_cado
    Velum_cado Posts: 1,608 Member
    Options
    Pasta. Just not as much, not as often, or with less cheese.
  • SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,731 Member
    Options

Shirataki is definitely an acquired taste. It has a very strong smell and you have to rinse it thoroughly before you use it, otherwise the smell might make you gag. Some people like it, but I can't seem to get past the smell.
  • serindipte
    serindipte Posts: 1,557 Member
    Options
    I weigh it dry, boil it, drain it.. Just like always.

If I want more bulk than the typical serving, then I add zucchini noodles (I have a peeler that julienne cuts)

Then I add a small amount of butter (by weight) and garlic with a sprinkle of parmesan cheese, or spaghetti sauce or alfredo sauce.. or anything else that strikes my fancy.
  • Jelaan
    Jelaan Posts: 815 Member
    Options
    I really like the shirataki noodles. I have also used finely chopped cauliflower as a substitute for rice - that was very tasty.
  • Rosyone
    Rosyone Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I eat pasta for pasta, I just don't supersize the servings anymore. A standard 2 oz dry weight serving that used to look skimpy looks completely normal to me now. So do my size 2/4 jeans :smile:
  • bcanderson123456
    bcanderson123456 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Why do so many people on here view pasta as something bad? What myth did you all fall for to think you can't enjoy pasta? It's all about reasonable serving sizes. Here is a good recipe: http://www.ahl4u.com/pasta-mushroom-toss.html . It is 138 cals and 18 carbs for a 100g serving.

(had to fix my grammer)
  • wonderwoman234
    wonderwoman234 Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    White pasta, like all other refined carbs, is not good for you. It's like eating sugar. That said, I still eat it, just not nearly as frequently as I used to. (I had Chicken Parm with pasta for dinner! lol) I now consider pasta the way I consider desserts - to be enjoyed in small amounts and not every day.

I tried Shiratake noodles and I found them to be repulsive. They smelled foul when I opened the package (they came in liquid) and even when I rinsed them as instructed and added them to my recipe, I could not enjoy the texture or flavor. I don't mind zucchini squash but it is a pain to prepare.

Seriously, there are many other foods to enjoy that don't revolve primarily around grains. Because I try to eat as much protein as I can, it just doesn't make sense for me to spend as many of my calories on carbs as I used to.

I am trying to not only lose weight, but be healthier. So although I do allow myself treats and carbs, I eat way differently than I used to. Pasta is definitely not a weekly thing for me anymore.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    Why do so many people on here view pasta as something bad? What myth did you all fall for to think you can't enjoy pasta? It's all about reasonable serving sizes. Here is a good recipe: http://www.ahl4u.com/pasta-mushroom-toss.html . It is 138 cals and 18 carbs for a 100g serving.

(had to fix my grammer)
    Interesting that you assume we all fell for a "myth".
  • Naley2322
    Naley2322 Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    Vegetti.... turns zucchini into noodles! I love it!
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    Options
    I don't eat pasta because it contains gluten (gluten free pasta is disgusting) and it has too many carbs for me due to being insulin resistant and hypoglycemic.

I LOVE LOVE LOVE spaghetti squash with a little asiago cheese sprinkled over it.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    I eat the pasta. I weigh out my portion and honestly I'm very satisfied with 2 oz.