Cutting out bread...yay or nay?

Options

Replies

• FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    Options
    If you don't want to eat bread, don't eat it. You can get carbs from plenty of other foods.
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    Eat the bread. Unless you have a medical issue concerning it, there's no reason to cut it out.

I enjoy Arnold's Nature Harvest Light Multigrain bread. 40 calories a slice and gets the job done. Great for sammiches. Tastes good too.
  • wonderwoman234
    wonderwoman234 Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    If you are cutting ALL carbs (or many) not just from bread, then you may be sluggish due to that. But if you still eat other carbs like fruit, grains, starchy veggies (like potatoes, corn, etc.) I doubt your fatigue is due to cutting out bread.

It may be due to not consuming enough calories if you haven't replaced calorie dense bread for other healthy foods like more protein, fruits and veggies.

If you can get Ezekial bread, sold in the frozen food section, it is made with sprouted grains and is super duper healthy and tastes great!
  • Lemongrab13
    Lemongrab13 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    No thanks, Jeff.
    Poor bread has been vilified for years by magazines, talk shows, Dr.Oz's flippity flappity trap, etc.
    It's ok, bread. I will love you.
  • Barbellarella_
    Barbellarella_ Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    How-am-i-supposed-to-live.gif
    WITHOUT BREAD
  • Barbellarella_
    Barbellarella_ Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    tumblr_lqywgqvTol1qjgyuwo1_500.gif
  • mandi_spicer
    mandi_spicer Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    NAY! Unless you have a gluten intolerance or celiac disease, there is no need. I eat bread and pasta in moderation. I like to make sure I am eating mostly whole grains and whole wheat. If you like it, eat it! Ezekiel bread is my favorite.
  • bcanderson123456
    bcanderson123456 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    If you really want to lose weight, don't eat any refined carbs - breads, pasta and white rice, and don't eat any sugar - including all fruit juices, and yogurt with the fruity gunk on the bottom.

Have eggs and cheese for breakfast (and a slice of bacon won't kill you), or Greek yogurt and add the berries (but not too many). The rest of the day eat fish, poultry, red meat, avocados and all vegetables. Eat nuts (not peanuts) and sunflower seeds instead of chips, pretzels and all that other garbage for snacks.

Avoid alcohol.

You can eat fast food, but throw out the bun and don't order French fries.

The weight will melt off you whether you exercise or not. And stop counting calories.

Get a scale. Weigh yourself everyday.

Once you hit your ideal weight, eat whatever you want, but keep weighing yourself. If you gain a few pounds, go back to what I told you to do and get back to that ideal weight.

Good luck.

Sorry but what you are saying is complete bull. There is no correlation between avoiding carbs and weight loss. Show me 1 piece of proven evidence that it is carbs that keep you from losing weight. Omiting carbs typically means your calories go down. Guess what when your calories go down you lose weight.
  • JBcat123
    JBcat123 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    yay. I cut out bread cause I have allergy to it. my stomach acts up each time I eat bread so my doctor told me to cut it all out. if you want to cut it out for allergy purposes I say yay however u can eat bread in moderation if u aren't allergic.
  • Derpes
    Derpes Posts: 2,033 Member
    Options
    I prefer to cut bread, but remember, they will cut it at the deli too. No need to walk out of the store with a full uncut loaf.
  • Swiftlet66
    Swiftlet66 Posts: 729 Member
    Options
    You don't have to cut it out if you don't need to. Personally, I like bread but I don't always eat it since I prefer rice and sweet potatoes as my main carbs. But whenever I do, I prefer sprouted bread because it has a better, more nutty, richer taste than regular white.
  • Leighsters
    Leighsters Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    scared me.... I misread the topic.

LOL^^^ AWESOME!!
  • feliscatus84
    feliscatus84 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I eat bread practically everyday and have lost 50lbs since January. I also have pasta frequently and I'm still losing weight. You may see a little water weight but it goes away. If you're happy cutting out that stuff then whatever, but I never was.
  • atreides42
    atreides42 Posts: 51 Member
    Options

Obviously any sane person is not really going to take dietary or nutritional advice from me, the 300 lb guy just starting to lose weight. Thanks for your link it helps to present other sides, the Wheat Belly story has been pushed on me by a lot of people I know.. I have cut out most wheat containing products, mostly because they are really processed like crackers, cereals, breads, pasta, etc.. And I feel a lot better, but it is really because I am eating more healthfully and not eating too many calories!

I have found so far that if there is any person selling any book or program on weight loss - it is usually crap, and no one seems to agree out there..

Thanks..
  • markink81
    markink81 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I eat bread a couple of times a day and lost over 100 pounds. I never liked the production style stuff. But I sure do like Artisan made Sourdough!
  • janatarnhem
    janatarnhem Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    I cut it out a week ago, as a challenge, as my diary was dominated by it! I loooooooooove bread!!
    Weight loss, at the mo, not consistent either!
    I did miss it, and have reintroduced it......only eat wholemeal!
    But I did feel less bloated and so I am cutting down on it.

You can only try a spell without it and see how you feel in comparison.
  • Reichelt152
    Options
    I LOVE BREAD! But I have cut it back significantly and it has contributed to me losing 15kgs over the past 12 months (I'm 6'1" and 77kg so there's not much more I need to lose, but am quite lean now, after getting that late 30's male pudginess) . Now its not just bread of course, but it is so easy to go bang bang bang and there you go 2000kj/500 calories just like that - especially with butter and another spread on top of that.

In fact I haven't cut anything out of my diet, but I have a short list of 'danger foods' that I only touch every now and then, and bread is right up there. It is/was such a hindrance in trying to lose that stubborn flab.

I only have one piece of toast each morning now with no butter, just a light spread of honey or jam and as a treat when I (rarely) head out for dinner at a friends place or restaurant.
  • HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    I make bread from scratch. Bread is flour, water, salt and yeast.

I make pasta from scratch. Pasta is flour, water, salt and, optionally, an egg.

I use the same bags of flour, the same water and the same salt. Sometimes, I make bread with an egg.

I'm not meaning to be glib, but in terms of ingredients, there's precious little difference between pasta and bread. There is more difference among breads and pastas. For example, they may or may not include whole grains, grains other than wheat, eggs, milk, oil, sugar, etc.

I'm not making either much right now because I can't be trusted with them -- especially not the bread. I know where the butter's stored in this house. When I have more self-control, I will go back to making and eating the stuff.
  • azymth99
    azymth99 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    If you really want to lose weight, don't eat any refined carbs - breads, pasta and white rice, and don't eat any sugar - including all fruit juices, and yogurt with the fruity gunk on the bottom.

Have eggs and cheese for breakfast (and a slice of bacon won't kill you), or Greek yogurt and add the berries (but not too many). The rest of the day eat fish, poultry, red meat, avocados and all vegetables. Eat nuts (not peanuts) and sunflower seeds instead of chips, pretzels and all that other garbage for snacks.

Avoid alcohol.

You can eat fast food, but throw out the bun and don't order French fries.

The weight will melt off you whether you exercise or not. And stop counting calories.

Get a scale. Weigh yourself everyday.

Once you hit your ideal weight, eat whatever you want, but keep weighing yourself. If you gain a few pounds, go back to what I told you to do and get back to that ideal weight.

Good luck.

Is this guy selling something? This is the 3rd post I've seen this line of nonsense.

1. First of all, good luck avoiding "all sugar" everything has sugar in it. Meat has sugar. Vegetables have sugar. Avocados have a lot of sugar. Sugar is not bad for you. Eating more sugar than you burn (just like everything else is bad for you).
    2. Eggs and cheese for breakfast? Every day? I prefer some variety. I keep breakfast under 400 cals and mix it up (oatmeal, cereal, eggs, fruit, steak etc.) no problem.
    3. Nothing wrong with alcohol in moderation.
    4. Why get fast food at all if you're just going to have a meat patty and no fries. Doesn't sound like an appetizing (or healthy) meal to me.
    5. Weight will "melt" off whether you exercise or not? Please. Activity level and montoring calories are essential to losing weight. Anyone that says differently is selling something.
    6. Weighing yourself every day should only be done for reference. Your weight can fluctuate drastically from day to day for a variety of reasons.
    7. And I'm sure number 7 doesn't even need a response. Eat whatever you want? You won't be at your ideal weight very long.

Please stop reposting this. No one believes you. If this works for you, great. But don't try to tell everyone they don't know what they're doing when they are successful by doing exactly what you tell them they are doing wrong.