But, what if I am NOT miserable?

Options
*SOME* people talk about how they were "miserable" being overweight, and that these negative feelings provided them with the strong motivation they needed to get started losing, and to keep losing.

My challenge is, I am NOT miserable at my weight, but I still want to lose weight. But I am not like, "i MUST lose weight". So, since I am half-motivated, I put forth half-effort.

Now, don't get me wrong...I am not saying I wish I WERE MISERABLE...the truth is that I love myself, and have always had great self-esteem and confidence...whether 220 pounds, or 155 pounds, I have no problem dancing, singing, doing nude art modeling, etc etc. I have always known that those who HATE themselves fat, don't magically LOVE themselves thin. Confidence is an inside job.

Maybe my lack of motivation has to do with the fact that I have already lost about HALF my excess weight...slowly over the course of the last couple years...and I have been maintaining it. So I still get compliments when old friends see me now. I carry my weight well, and can shop off the rack in any store, even though I am about a size 14 on bottom.

***MY QUESTION IS: PEOPLE WHO LOVE THEMSELVES, HOW DO U GET MOTIVATED WITHOUT THE SELF-HATRED THAT *SOME* OTHERS USE FOR MOTIVATION?

I really wanna lose the rest and get active...but I think the fact that i am "content", if not "thrilled", with where I am has led to a sort of inertia....

(Edited to add the word *SOME*....because there are people on MFP who always assume u are "making generalizations about everyone", who love to give snarky answers to honest questions, and who snoop your profile for personal info, and then use it to insult you. Yay, forums!)

Replies

• 126siany
    126siany Posts: 1,386 Member
    Options
    Your profile has many good reasons to keep going towards your goal! Review those when you feel complacent.

If you truly love yourself and your body, don't you want to take care of yourself?
  • Jerrypeoples
    Jerrypeoples Posts: 1,541 Member
    Options
    its amazing the things people will say.

a woman that came back to the gym after 2 years or so saw me and congratulated me on my weight loss and then said

wow you must really have hated looking in the mirror before i bet now you dont.

i sat there for a second stunned and just shrugged my shoulders

was i happy i was fat? i wasnt throwing fat parties for myself but by no means was i depressed about . assumptions like hers always amaze me
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options
    Same here, like you.

No aha moments or embarrassing incidents that made me decide to lose. I was just tired. Tired of being tired all the time and I felt like I was missing out on life. When I get de-motivated I just remember how tired I was and how far I've come.

Sorry, that's all I got.
  • ThriftyChica12
    ThriftyChica12 Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    "If you truly love yourself and your body, don't you want to take care of yourself?"

THAT is a very good reminder for me...and something I often forget to think about! Thank you!

I am gonna review my "reasons" on my profile...maybe even update them :)
  • ThriftyChica12
    Options
    its amazing the things people will say.

a woman that came back to the gym after 2 years or so saw me and congratulated me on my weight loss and then said

wow you must really have hated looking in the mirror before i bet now you dont.

i sat there for a second stunned and just shrugged my shoulders

was i happy i was fat? i wasnt throwing fat parties for myself but by no means was i depressed about . assumptions like hers always amaze me

Yes, i totally agree with you! and the ODD things that people say when they see you've lost weight...that is a whole other conversation unto itself. :)
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    You have foods that you label as 'safe' and 'trigger'... You may be the most super confident person in the world but you have an absolutely horrific relationship with food. Maybe work on that first?
  • TrenAbe
    TrenAbe Posts: 26
    Options
    I don't think it's a self hatred thing with fat people. It's just not healthy to be fat, so they make it a goal to lose weight for themselves and/or people who rely/care about them. IMO
  • greengoddess0123
    greengoddess0123 Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    Looking good was never a motivator. Hell, I thought I was already pretty cute, even at 250. And "better health" never motivated me, since I had good blood pressure, no medical problems, could do all I wanted to do, etc. I loved myself and didn't care that I was fat.

And then my friend let me ride her horse. After growing up riding and being away from it for years, I was so excited. But because of my weight and fitness level, I only lasted 10 minutes in the saddle. That was my wake up call.

I started running to get in shape and fell in love with it. But I was still eating tons of food, so still heavy (250).

I realized that if I wanted to run and ride horses, I'd have to be lighter and carry less extra fat.

So here I am at MFP. Gotta get off the forums this morning, though. Today is my long run day (training for a half marathon)...

Good luck finding your motivation. :flowerforyou:
  • Calliope610
    Calliope610 Posts: 3,771 Member
    Options
    I too find it offensive that one must be filled with self-hatred in order to let themselves become overweight and/or obese.

I found the motivation for change BECAUSE I LOVE MYSELF. I love myself too much and value myself too much to allow myself to remain unhealthy, unfit and fat. I love myself too much to limit my abilities and experiences because of self-imposed inactivity and deceasing physical performance due to excessive weight.
  • ThriftyChica12
    Options
    You have foods that you label as 'safe' and 'trigger'... You may be the most super confident person in the world but you have an absolutely horrific relationship with food. Maybe work on that first?

Hmmm, I DO have a complicated relationship with food: I am a compulsive overeater, and some foods make me prone to BINGING...once I eat one serving, I do not stop. However, when I avoid those foods completely, I can go months or years without binges, without cravings, and feeling great.

It may not be for everyone...many people like to do a "treat" meal, or fit in small servings of sugar foods daily.
    I am not one of those people :ohwell:
  • captaindle
    captaindle Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I'm actually in a similar position. Super happy in life and with myself and this is actually what's helping me to lose the weight healthily this time. I'm coming from a place of happiness rather than self loathing. Yes, I'd love to look like I did 80+ pounds ago but my reasons are deeper than just aesthetics now. As one of the previous commenters mentioned, a large part of my reason for working hard at losing is health concerns. My entire family is obese and my father is currently killing himself with food. He's no longer mobile and his wife has to do everything for him. I don't ever want to be that kind of burden on my significant other who happens to be 16 years my junior. Another important goal is fitness. I really enjoy being active and being physically able to do anything I'd like to do. I also think you need to remember your initial goals and let those motivate you. If they don't, it's time to find some that do. And form habits. You'll be more likely to eat properly and go exercise if that's a habit/routine that you've gotten into. Music really motivates me and when I just don't want to get out there and exercise, I put on the song Happy by Pharrell Williams. Gets me moving every time. Best of luck on the rest of your journey!
  • ThriftyChica12
    Options
    Looking good was never a motivator. Hell, I thought I was already pretty cute, even at 250. And "better health" never motivated me, since I had good blood pressure, no medical problems, could do all I wanted to do, etc. I loved myself and didn't care that I was fat.

And then my friend let me ride her horse. After growing up riding and being away from it for years, I was so excited. But because of my weight and fitness level, I only lasted 10 minutes in the saddle. That was my wake up call.

I started running to get in shape and fell in love with it. But I was still eating tons of food, so still heavy (250).

I realized that if I wanted to run and ride horses, I'd have to be lighter and carry less extra fat.

So here I am at MFP. Gotta get off the forums this morning, though. Today is my long run day (training for a half marathon)...

Good luck finding your motivation. :flowerforyou:

that is a good motivator for sure! funny enough, I have never been on a horse, but keep telling myself that one day when i get to goal, i would like to try riding horses :) thanks for sharing your motivation!
  • rachnado
    rachnado Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Wanting to be healthier is my sole motivation. Seeing the toll obesity has done to my health is scary. I love myself enough to get as healthy as I can. Perhaps you are young and feel great, think about how you will feel 20 years down the line and the havoc obesity has wreaked on your body.
  • ThriftyChica12
    Options
    Wanting to be healthier is my sole motivation. Seeing the toll obesity has done to my health is scary. I love myself enough to get as healthy as I can. Perhaps you are young and feel great, think about how you will feel 20 years down the line and the havoc obesity has wreaked on your body.

LOngevity and such is a motivator I want to use more: i am thirty years old, and while i feel OKAY, i don't feel GREAT fitness and energy wise...since i wanna live to 90, i better start thinking about this stuff NOW
  • katiewilsonxo
    katiewilsonxo Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Myself, I work in the beauty industry so I always took care of myself (full face of makeup and hair done with nice clothes every day) so I always told myself that I didn't look my weight and that I had a larger frame so I was happy with my weight. I was (and still am) a confident person.
    It wasn't until my doctor told me that I have arthritis in my spine that I realized that being even 20lbs overweight could have implications on my health.
    I motivated myself with my health in the beginning but I found weight loss fairly easy and dropped my goal of 25lbs in under 3 months and continued to look better :)
    You definitely dont need to be miserable to want to improve your health and look great!
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options

***MY QUESTION IS: PEOPLE WHO LOVE THEMSELVES, HOW DO U GET MOTIVATED WITHOUT THE SELF-HATRED THAT *SOME* OTHERS USE FOR MOTIVATION?

I really wanna lose the rest and get active...but I think the fact that i am "content", if not "thrilled", with where I am has led to a sort of inertia....

(Edited to add the word *SOME*....because there are people on MFP who always assume u are "making generalizations about everyone", who love to give snarky answers to honest questions, and who snoop your profile for personal info, and then use it to insult you. Yay, forums!)

I have always loved myself...regardless of weight...

At my heaviest I was happy with my life...1 year into my marriage to the most wonderful man, my son was settling in, my job was great, people wanted my life...no joke...I had people say..."oh to have your life it's perfect...."

If you are "thrilled" with your life then get active now...live your life...no one is making you lose weight.

Why did I decide to...because I do love myself and my life and I wanted to be more active. I want to be active with grandkids when I have them, I want to ride the horses we have without being sore the next day...I want to be healthy later in life with my younger husband...

So I did...I wanted it.

*as for your edit you needed to add that regardless of the responses...and there were no insults but some truths you may not want to look at...such as if you do eat due to a compulsion that is not living and loving life there are issues you need to deal with...allowing yourself to be in constant pain is not loving yourself, allowing PCOS symtoms to be in the forefront is not loving yourself...you may have a "projected self confidence" but you don't love yourself and for me that was the key.

consider these responses "tough love"
  • poedunk65
    poedunk65 Posts: 1,336 Member
    Options
    How can you be ok with yourself being overweight? You pay more for clothes, less mobile and WILL have issues as you age.

I am living proof.

Heres one for ya, go and take a 1 mile brisk walk and see how you feel. then get back to me.

Also watch these two movies: Forks Over Knives and Hungry For Change.

Then see if you look at food the same way.

You're welcome to friend me if you like.
    Once you start working out, and I mean for a month straight 3 times a week, you will feel so invigorated. It becomes like an addiction. Remember it takes 6-7 weeks for something to become a habit.:flowerforyou:
  • MKEgal
    MKEgal Posts: 3,250 Member
    Options
    For myself, even if I liked how I looked & felt when fat (I didn't / don't), I am well aware of the health problems associated with being fat & I don't want to deal with them.

Also, I'm annoyed having to pay extra for clothes. Actually, I have to pay extra in 2 directions: tall and fat. And usually I can only find one or the other, unless I'm shopping for scrubs. So I want clothes which fit.

And come to think of it, I'm annoyed that more public places don't have armless chairs, and I have to perch on the edge of the chair because my butt doesn't fit. Even my gym does this, which amazes me. They have chairs for average-sized people, but this is a gym fer gosh sakes - they have fat people there!
    I too find it offensive that one must be filled with self-hatred in order to let themselves become overweight and/or obese.

I found the motivation for change BECAUSE I LOVE MYSELF. I love myself too much and value myself too much to allow myself to remain unhealthy, unfit and fat. I love myself too much to limit my abilities and experiences because of self-imposed inactivity and deceasing physical performance due to excessive weight.
    It sounds like you're contradicting yourself.
    If you're getting healthy because you love yourself, it would seem to reason that you got unhealthy (or at least, let yourself go) because you didn't love yourself, otherwise it wouldn't have happened.