My Mom is Unhealthy?

Options
My grandmother (my mom's mom) is in the hospital right now. She's sick and I told my mom that I hope it motivates her to lose weight and to take care of herself better. Yesterday, she told me I was right and we were going to take nightly walk (a little over a mile every day) around the park. We went for a walk yesterday and she felt great. I didn't go to the supermarket with her this time (I didn't even know she left) and she brought home sugary drinks (20 grams for a bottle...holy ****). How do I motivate her more?? Should I go return the drinks? I'm so frustrated and scared for her health. I'm in tears because every time she buys this **** she tells me "When you pay for the food, that's when you can buy what you want." Meanwhile, just yesterday she wanted to lose weight. How do I approach this situation???

Replies

• mikevandewetering
    mikevandewetering Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    Be honest with her, tell her you are scared for her health. Be completely honest maybe it will finaly open her eye's
  • SarahRuthRuns
    SarahRuthRuns Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    You can't change other people. She has to be ready to make a change for herself. Let her know that you are there to help her if she chooses to make some changes, and leave it at that.
  • angelique_redhead
    angelique_redhead Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    I'd just remind her how many calories those drinks have in them per each. It's her body and you can't force her to "shape up". *HUGS*
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    You do you. Lead by example, but you can't make her want to lose weight or stop eating/drinking whatever she likes. She has to find the motivation herself.
  • weightliftingdiva
    weightliftingdiva Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    Family is hard.

Like someone else said, lead by example.

If you feel the need to speak up, I suggest expressing your concern about her overall health instead of discussing her specific food choices. When she's ready to change, she'll initiate it herself. Being critical of her food choices, even if you are in the right, probably won't help her motivation.
  • squishycatmew
    squishycatmew Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Maybe try slower, smaller steps? Try to get her to drink her sugary drinks mixed with carbonated water (this is how I drink juice and lemonades when I actually do drink them), to cut the sugar and calories in a serving. Definitely don't return them - she'll be angry and that's never a good way to motivate anyone, and I assume, also, it's her money and not yours. Slowly increase the lengths of your walks and try to slowly get her to reduce her consumption of sugary drinks - they won't kill her in moderation and they aren't "bad" for you in moderation, unless diabetes is a legitimate concern.

I assume you live together - do you cook? If you do, cook for the both of you and cook healthy, nutritious meals for both of you to eat. It's much easier to start healthier habits if they're right there in front of you.
  • btc1987
    btc1987 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I disagree with the people asking you to point out the unhealthy choices she is making with her food. This is something she has to come around to on her own.

One thing you can do to help is encourage her steps toward progress. Walk with her every night and let her know how much you enjoy spending time with her doing that. Harp on the positive. Tell her that you're glad she's taking a step (literally lol) in the right direction because you love her and want her to be around for a long time.

She will either make or not make those other choices on her own given time. You will not be able to change it. Don't strain your relationship while that happens.

That being said, you don't have to eat what she's eating. Drink your water while she drinks soda. Order first when you go to restaurants and pick a healthy menu item. She's more likely to consider doing the same if you lead by example.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,741 Member
    Options
    You can't change other people. She has to be ready to make a change for herself. Let her know that you are there to help her if she chooses to make some changes, and leave it at that.

This.

Also, I understand that you care about your mom OP...but for you to be in tears over a sugary drink, that is not a normal reaction. I don't say that to be mean but really it's not okay for you to get yourself that upset over your mom making unhealthy food and beverage choices. She will do what she wants as she's an adult.

That said, I do think it's good to let her know you will support her if she does make some changes for the better. I wish you (and your mom) the best!
  • love8383
    love8383 Posts: 169
    Options
    If she wants your help just try to educate her about nutrition and calories, if she sees your progress it might make her get serious about joining you. It can be hard starting out and she might need a push from you, hopefully seeing her mom sick will be a wake up call for her and motivate her to change her lifestyle.
  • scorpiophoenix
    scorpiophoenix Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    In my own experience I'll tell ya, mothers are HARD. Yes you care, but she's still your mother. Push too hard and she'll fall back on that. Keep going on the walks with her, and when you do go shopping with her pick one thing and be like "maybe try this instead?". Rome wasn't built in a day and some people need time. Be patient and realize it's not going to happen overnight.
  • BigGuy47
    BigGuy47 Posts: 1,768 Member
    Options
    Lots of good thoughts in this thread:

- Be honest with your concerns, but don't push too hard.
    - Real change comes from within - you can't force people to change.
    - Lead by example.
    - Take small steps. It makes the process of change far less intimidating.
    - Offer to cook a meal once in awhile. That way you can introduce healthy choices that are delicious.
  • lwestmill
    lwestmill Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Can I explain something to you? Being a mother myself, I can not focus on my weight with so many other things that are bogging me down. My kids do nothing for me in the house unless I complain and complain and complain and nag and nag and nag. So, after all that, I do it myself because I'm tired of hearing myself complain and nag. Therefore, by the time I get all my job done, come home, feed the lazy tribe, and clean up the dishes, I'm tired. One day, my son did the dishes for me for a whole of 3 days. He said, "Ya know mom? This is a thankless job and no one really notices. It is so boring, I don't know how you do it." I told him he had better find a good wife who will do it for him then. Or he will be a lonely man living with his mother forever. LOL

So, enough about my dribble. Not sure where your mom is at but I'm sure she is as busy with worry with her mother and life in general. The best thing you can do is to help her with the dishes, laundry or what ever is bogging her down and say. " Mom, I made time for you by doing these things so we can work out." Two things will happen. She will feel releived and she will feel guilty enough to walk with you. One step at a time. Little by little help her with her new life change of being healthy. Show her a print out of what she has eaten with a print out of MFP logs. Let her be mind blown with the results and help her by opening her eyes to the truth on paper. Try not to nag. Mom's need a break and a clean organized house helps to organize a mind to be able to think outside the box and try something new.

You sound like a sweet, caring daughter, don't give up, Mom's didn't get unhealthy over night. You may not realize what is worrying her. Trust me, I don't tell my kids the true worries that I have. Its taken me almost a year to loose my weight. My kids do walk with me and it does help motivate me. A second person is good to keep me company where I don't even notice I am getting healthier.
  • caitael
    caitael Posts: 2
    Options
    Congratulations for taking good care of yourself in what sounds like a discouraging atmosphere!

Try to get your grandmother involved. If she's in the hospital for weight related issues, it may have a bigger impact coming from her. Keep up the nightly walks and sneak in a little extra exercise while you're at it. Pick up trash you see along the way; maybe she'll follow suit and get in a few stretches without even knowing it. Challenge her to a race for the last ten feet of your walk; you can stretch that out as time goes by. If your making yourself a healthier drink (infused water, lightly sweetened lemonade) make enough for her; maybe she'll develop a taste for it. And by all means, keep up the dialogue - let her know how much you enjoy your time together when you're walking at night; mention what a big difference a small change in your own diet has made (but not too often, she'll think you're a nag); tell her why you still need her and why you want her around for as long as possible. Most importantly, love her for who she is; don't criticize her food choices or complain if she opts out of a walk (but do take the walk yourself, you're own perseverance may inspire her). Be responsible in your own diet choices and lead by example.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    it's okay to tell mom once how you feel. Just once, though, because more than that and you are trying to change her. You can never change another person.

Also, and I mean no offense by this, but try to appreciate the small change she has made. She is walking more. It might not seem like a big thing to you, but to her it might be a really big deal.

Finally, just take care of you. It is not your job to take care of your mother or anyone else. :smile:
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    I'd just remind her how many calories those drinks have in them per each. It's her body and you can't force her to "shape up". *HUGS*
    I wouldn't do that. She can read and knows how many calories they have.

The sodas in and of themselves are not bad. Moderation is the key in all things.
  • weightliftingdiva
    weightliftingdiva Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    Can I explain something to you? Being a mother myself, I can not focus on my weight with so many other things that are bogging me down. My kids do nothing for me in the house unless I complain and complain and complain and nag and nag and nag. So, after all that, I do it myself because I'm tired of hearing myself complain and nag. Therefore, by the time I get all my job done, come home, feed the lazy tribe, and clean up the dishes, I'm tired. One day, my son did the dishes for me for a whole of 3 days. He said, "Ya know mom? This is a thankless job and no one really notices. It is so boring, I don't know how you do it." I told him he had better find a good wife who will do it for him then. Or he will be a lonely man living with his mother forever. LOL

So, enough about my dribble. Not sure where your mom is at but I'm sure she is as busy with worry with her mother and life in general. The best thing you can do is to help her with the dishes, laundry or what ever is bogging her down and say. " Mom, I made time for you by doing these things so we can work out." Two things will happen. She will feel releived and she will feel guilty enough to walk with you. One step at a time. Little by little help her with her new life change of being healthy. Show her a print out of what she has eaten with a print out of MFP logs. Let her be mind blown with the results and help her by opening her eyes to the truth on paper. Try not to nag. Mom's need a break and a clean organized house helps to organize a mind to be able to think outside the box and try something new.

You sound like a sweet, caring daughter, don't give up, Mom's didn't get unhealthy over night. You may not realize what is worrying her. Trust me, I don't tell my kids the true worries that I have. Its taken me almost a year to loose my weight. My kids do walk with me and it does help motivate me. A second person is good to keep me company where I don't even notice I am getting healthier.

I think this really depends on the family situation. My Mom likes to do household chores because they keep her active. Sometimes I'll offer to do things like load/unload the dishwasher and she'll say no, because she likes to do it to keep her moving. I'm responsible for cleaning up my room and the bathroom that I primarily use, and that keeps me moving too.

Find a way that works for your family and your situation.
  • prettyfitchick
    prettyfitchick Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    I am sorry to say this about she has got want to do it for her self. Keep going on the walks with her maybe she will make more changes over time. I have been in your same shoes my mom has has high bold pressure and diabetes. This all happen when she was 36 still young. I was sitting there when the dr told her if she lost weight with in a year she could beat these diease and not have be on meds for the rest of her life. I was willing to support her no matter what or how she wanted to lose I would work with her every day if she wanted to me. I told her about workout programs and even weight loss surgery if she wanted to do that. Well that was 10 years ago. She actually gained weight over the years no improvemnt at all. She don't even manage her illness properly.All my tears and effort where useless I even became angry at her thinking maybe tough love would work telling her she is killing her self with food. But that didn't work either. I have given up over the years if she ever wants help I will be there to support her but I am going to force it on her anymore.
  • PennyVonDread
    PennyVonDread Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    Exercise is healthier even if she doesn't lose weight. She knows soda and sugar are not "healthy." She's still got every right to choose what she eats and puts in her body. Just be supportive, but don't police her. You don't get to return food she bought because you don't like it, that is condesending as hell. Besides, it's your mom's body, not the family body. She's allowed to look after her health in whatever steps she chooses to take. Exercise has benefits regardless of whether it's for weight loss or not. If she ever needs your help or advice specifically for weight loss or diet etc, she can let you know. She's not oblivious to the state of her body in this society, I can guarantee you that she's well aware and doesn't need to be nagged about it at home, even if it is from "concern." So maybe your mom is unhealthy, but it's not your mission in life to force her to be healthy. If she isn't ready to make a serious lifestyle change, it won't stick anyways. Just worry about you and be supportive if she brings it up.
  • wizzybeth
    wizzybeth Posts: 3,578 Member
    Options
    You do you. Lead by example, but you can't make her want to lose weight or stop eating/drinking whatever she likes. She has to find the motivation herself.

^^^^^^
    This.
  • Keepcalmanddontblink
    Keepcalmanddontblink Posts: 718 Member
    Options
    Start off with then nightly walks. She is open to that so keep going and as she feels better, maybe you can encourage her to make a couple of other changes. Don't overwhelm her right away.