Sugar freak healthy snack ideas

Options
I am a sugar freak. I have a terrible horrible sweet tooth. I'm looking for healthy recipies or easy snack ideas to keep my sweet tooth at bay without derailing my health goals. Give me your favorite suggestions. I'm not a fan of sugar substitues as they all have a chemical taste to me. Even Stevia has an off putting after taste. I'm more of a use honey or real sugar in moderation kind of person.

Thanks!! :D

Replies

• chocolateandbutterscotch
    Options
    Dannon light and fit greek yogurt, it is only 80 calories and fruit of your choice. Mix the yogurt and fruit and fill paper cups and stick a popsicle stick in it and freeze. Great durning these hot months.

Any flavor cake mix and a can of any flavor diet soda. Mix and bake.

321 cake
    One box any flavor cake
    One box angel food cake
    Mix them and place in air tight container

Here comes the 321 part
    3tbl cake mix
    2tbl water
    stir until smooth
    cook in microwave for 1 minute.
  • JaimieAG
    JaimieAG Posts: 48
    Options
    Frozen Grapes! :)
  • chrs86
    chrs86 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Fat-Free-Sugar Free Ice cream works for me and they have it in all kinds of flavors for 1.99 1/2 gallon. GL
  • Swiftlet66
    Swiftlet66 Posts: 729 Member
    Options
    A very ripe banana can do the trick. Or mango or ripe black plums. How about spread some honey on a slice of whole wheat bread and toast them together for a couple of minutes? My favorite fruit parfait: full fat Greek yogurt, sliced grapes and sliced black plums, sprinkle on a little bit of brown sugar or drizzle some honey. Warm milk with honey also curbs any sweet tooth in having!
  • jennlea22
    jennlea22 Posts: 9
    Options
    Thanks for all of the ideas!!
    Swiftlet66 The whole grain bread and honey is an awesome snack!!
    Chocolateandb about how many calories is an average 321 cake?
    chrs86 I do love icecream, however, I don't think I'm to the stage of just eating one serving at a time yet.
    JaimieAG do they get hard like ice cubes?
  • ANewCrystal4Life
    ANewCrystal4Life Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Thaw a tub of SF/FF Cool Whip and gentle stir in PB2 then refreeze. Taste just like Peanut Butter Ice Cream.
  • Mitsuo8
    Mitsuo8 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    A ripe ataulfo mango is amazing, super sweet and good for you!
  • F00LofaT00K
    F00LofaT00K Posts: 688 Member
    Options
    Check out my diary to see how I fit actually sugar into my day. In my personal experience, when craving something sweet there is no substitute. I end up going way over my goals trying to find snack after snack to sooth my craving. I've taken several months to teach myself to be satisfied with a small amount of what I actually want. Sugar isn't "bad" for you or even "unhealthy" unless you suffer from an endocrine disorder where your body cannot process it properly. Whether the sugar is from fruit or cookies, it has the same chemical make-up and your body will do the same thing with it. The only actual point to limiting sugar that is anywhere based in science is the fact that carbs from fruits, grains, and vegetables come along with many vitamins, minerals and fiber that you don't typically get with foods that have a lot of added sugar. There is nothing unhealthy about eating most carbs from those sources and allowing yourself some room for added sugar.
  • swimmermama
    swimmermama Posts: 526 Member
    Options
    Greek yogurt with berries! Dark chocolate!

I also love making protein muffins. I love baked goods and a low-carb, moderate-cal, high-protein, homemade muffin really hits the spot.
  • mandylanerocks
    mandylanerocks Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Hershey's Dark Chocolate Kisses!! They are only 20 calories a piece!

Caramel Rice cakes.... plain or with peanut butter!

Take a really ripe banana, freeze it & then blend it up with peanut butter or berries to make this sort of "ice cream"!!

Cut up an apple, place it in a bowl with some water & microwave for about 2 minutes & sprinkle with cinnamon. Amazing.
  • akamacho
    akamacho Posts: 2
    Options
    P2b and whipped cream idea sounds amazing.
  • stevee290
    stevee290 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Sugar free jello pudding cups.
  • Gabryka
    Gabryka Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    ~Reddi-Whip over berries.
    ~Sugar-free Jello. A whole box is only like 40 or 50 calories!
    ~Welch's Fruit Snacks.
    ~No Sugar Added Fudgecicle 80 calories for 2.
    ~Edy's Slow Churned Ice Cream. I got the banana split summer limited edition and it is 100 calories for 1/2 of a cup, so even if I do 2 or sometimes 3 servings, as long as I plan for it, I can still fit it in.
    ~Bare Fruit Crunchy Apple Chips. Green Apple, Fuji Red or Cinnamon. A 1.69oz bag has 180 calories and this helps my crunchy chip cravings as well as my sweets craving.
  • Mangopickle
    Mangopickle Posts: 1,509 Member
    Options
    Nature valley almond crunch bars, 190 cals, 6g of sugar, 6g of protein!!! Tastes just like almond brittle because it is. I am not a sweets person but these are amazing!
  • cspinelli712
    cspinelli712 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I love this idea, I already have the PB2 so I will shop for sf/ff cool whip. Thanks for the idea
  • judychicken
    judychicken Posts: 937 Member
    Options
    I love Skinny Cow Ice Cream they are all great.
  • ddkphotos
    ddkphotos Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    dark chocolate. enjoying the other ideas. thanks!
  • SuperSexyDork
    SuperSexyDork Posts: 1,669 Member
    Options
    I've been snacking on black cherries.

Also, I'm a big fan of mixing cocoa powder in partially frozen cool whip and making it like a mousse then tossing raspberries, cherries or blueberries into it.

Also, most desserts based on fruits will have lower calorie contents. I have a delicious recipe for a fresh strawberry cake made with strawberries and non-fat Greek yogurt. You can also try making diet soda cupcakes with a box of cake mix , 12 oz diet soda, and 2 egg white beaten to soft peaks.
  • zenmohawk
    zenmohawk Posts: 4
    Options
    Hi, I am sugar-a-holic also. Here's what I did, no sweets of any kind for the first two weeks. In doing so it took away my intense craving for sugary foods. I did eat fruit in moderation during this time. After two weeks, I did some research and bought one at a time, a York peppermint patty or a Three Muskateers regular size candy bar, cut it in half, placing one half in a ziploc baggy for a later day. Then I sat quietly and nibbled the smallest bite off and let it melt in my mouth , no chewing. Just savoring the flavor. Enjoying the treat slowly made me taste each bite and appreciate the sweetness. I also chose a day when my exercise had been good and fit it into my calorie count. I could have never done this in the beginning, I would have scarfed the whole candy bar down with normal size bites and then wanted more. So as silly as it seemed in the beginning to me, it did work. I learned this tip from a friend who ate all desserts in the correct portion size and used a baby spoon to eat with for the same slow and savory effect. Good Luck:)
  • trm68
    trm68 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Bananas...Banana --- I use this, fills me up, I eat 3 to 4 a day. Works for me.
    Fruit
    A banana is an edible fruit produced by several kinds of large herbaceous flowering plants in the genus Musa. Wikipedia
    Nutrition Facts

Bananas
    Amount Per 1 medium (7" to 7-7/8" long) (118 g)

Calories 105*********************************************************

% Daily Value*
    Total Fat 0.4 g 0%************************************************ you might say zero fat,,lol.
    Saturated fat 0.1 g 0%
    Polyunsaturated fat 0.1 g
    Monounsaturated fat 0 g
    Cholesterol 0 mg 0%************************************************
    Sodium 1 mg 0%
    Potassium 422 mg 12%********************************************

Total Carbohydrate 27 g 9%****************************************

Dietary fiber 3.1 g 12%

Sugar 14 g *********************************************************

Protein 1.3 g 2%
    Vitamin A 1% Vitamin C 17%
    Calcium 0% Iron 1%