Fitbit - has anyone had progress with one?

Options
2»

Replies

• WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    Thanks. I just have a iPad 2. Though my daughter has a 4s phone. I'm deliberating.
    You use a computer, right? The Fitbits synch to your computer. You don't need to have a mobile device. They all have a display so you can tell where you're at if you can't check your computer. The Flex display is limited but it does tell you how close to your goal you are.
  • cadaver0usb0nes
    cadaver0usb0nes Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I have a fitbit one, They are motivating and they are nice to see how many calories you burn just walking around throughout the day. You can also "compete" with other fitbit users to get the highest steps.
  • chrissyrenee1029
    chrissyrenee1029 Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    I lost about 30 pounds with the Fitbit several years ago and now have a Flex that I LOVE. I typically only take mine off the charge it. It's a great motivator and I find myself pushing a little harder when I see that I have four of five lights blinking to indicate progress toward my daily goal.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    I love my flex. It really was an eye opener as to how little I was actually moving so it has inspired me to move more. I get such a charge when it vibrates telling me I hit my step goal for the day! I chose the flex over the one because it can be worn in water and my main cardio is water aerobics.
  • Fallingsakura
    Fallingsakura Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Thanks! Some useful and very encouraging information. I think syncing it to my computer will be the best thing. Thinking of getting the 'One'. Grateful for the replies!
  • lukewind
    lukewind Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    See my ticker, all that weight lost using fitbit and MFP.....nuff said.
  • dsjohndrow
    dsjohndrow Posts: 1,821 Member
    Options
    I use the ONE. I also bought a Fitbit scale. I like the automatic sync up for both. The sleep tracker is nothing special, but it does encourage you to get moving and hit 10,000 steps a day. I do most of mine at work, but it counts. There is not gadget that can make you lose weight, but it is a worthwhile addition of you are motivated to lose.
  • ErinMcMom
    ErinMcMom Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    I have the Fitbit Zip and I think I owe most of my success to it (eating right played a massive role too though)
    When I got my Zip I was logging around 5000 steps per day and now I'm usually around 16000 per day. If I go for a run I'm usually in the 20000-25000 range. I found it was really motivating to compete with my friends in the leaderboard and I'd go the extra mile, or park further away, or take a walk on my lunch just to move up a little bit on the board and inch ahead of somebody.
    This week I'm leaving for a family vacation to Walt Disney World and I can't wait to see how many steps I'll be putting in per day! :D
  • cunnidan
    cunnidan Posts: 2
    Options
    I got it as a replacement for my Fitbit Force. I liked it except I prefer to wear the device on my arm. After about 3 weeks, I lost it. :(
  • jkestens63
    jkestens63 Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options
    Love my one, its a good reminder to get going. I prefer the one to the flex because I don't want to have to wear something on my wrist all the time.
  • Fallingsakura
    Options
    Wow Lukewind! I'm definitely getting one now! I do most of my exercise walking and hoping to take advantage of the lovely weather here in the UK to do more!
  • Fallingsakura
    Options
    I have the Fitbit Zip and I think I owe most of my success to it (eating right played a massive role too though)
    When I got my Zip I was logging around 5000 steps per day and now I'm usually around 16000 per day. If I go for a run I'm usually in the 20000-25000 range. I found it was really motivating to compete with my friends in the leaderboard and I'd go the extra mile, or park further away, or take a walk on my lunch just to move up a little bit on the board and inch ahead of somebody.
    This week I'm leaving for a family vacation to Walt Disney World and I can't wait to see how many steps I'll be putting in per day! :D

Great news! Have a great time in Disneyland.
  • mrslstage
    mrslstage Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I love mine! Had it about 3 weeks. It def has me moving more. Extra stairs at work, pacing during commercial breaks, etc.
  • ianthy
    ianthy Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    Love my fitbit - even though I had a few blips recently syncing. When I got it was doing about 5,000 steps a day and now average 11,000 plus other exercise too, It definitely pushes me to do more. I like the fact that it syncs back with MFP too - which gives me a good guide as to how active I really have been, MFP exercise cals burned are on the high side, so it's useful to see the MFP overall ratings based on my day of cals in V cals out. I can't imagine being without it now.
  • LaLaLovely76
    LaLaLovely76 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Right! I got the zip as a gift for Mother's Day and I love it! I'm tempted to upgrade but I really want a better HRM such as the Polar FT4
  • my_2_cents
    my_2_cents Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Morning fitbit gurus! I have a question. I recently got a flex and it seemed to be working ok the first 2 weeks. But about 3 days ago it has started deducting calories from diary. Ex this morning I wake up. Didn't even get out of bed and it said I burned 220 calories, so I checked MFP and it took 220 away from my daily goal! I haven't logged anything yet but it's telling me I only have 1320 calories for the day instead of 1540. I have the negative calories enabled and the setting to lightly active... any ideas what happened? Thanks in advance and have a great day!

The fitbit calculates your calories burned from existing (heartbeat, breathing, etc), then adds calories for moving. MFP knows how many calories it expects you to burn during the day. Each time your fitbit updates, MFP takes the current calories burned and estimates how many you'll burn for the day at that rate and adds or subtracts calories from your menu based on that. Its normal, just run more and you'll get more calories.

For the original op, I have a fitbit one and love it...and I've lost 35.6 lbs so far.
  • my_2_cents
    my_2_cents Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Love my fitbit - even though I had a few blips recently syncing. When I got it was doing about 5,000 steps a day and now average 11,000 plus other exercise too, It definitely pushes me to do more. I like the fact that it syncs back with MFP too - which gives me a good guide as to how active I really have been, MFP exercise cals burned are on the high side, so it's useful to see the MFP overall ratings based on my day of cals in V cals out. I can't imagine being without it now.

I used to think MFP gave me too many calories too until I did a bit of experimentation and research. I discovered that at the end of the day, MFP and fibit give me almost identical calorie goals when the fitbit exercise is taken into consideration, its just that MFP appears several hundred calories higher for most of the day.

I've watched it right until midnight and found that by midnight, its only about 20 calories higher on MFP than what fitbit is saying. MFP is just estimating how many calories I'm going to burn in the evening, where fitbit waits until I've earned the calorie credits before displaying them.