Warrior Dash.....Needs tips and advice

Options
So I signed up to do the Warrior Dash in Michigan in July and I'm super pumped for it. I'm starting my training for it with the elliptical machine for 30 min 3x a week. I'll do that for about a month and then in the middle of February I'll start the C25K and probably P90X to build up muscle mass and stamina.

I know the P90X is time consuming but I'm not going to do it every day and I know it will take me longer than 90 days to do it but I think it will help the most.

So anyway....if you've done the dash before please fill me in on your experience. What did you do to prepare? What do you reccomend and what would you do differently?

Thanks in advance

Replies

• kristinlough
    kristinlough Posts: 828 Member
    Options
    bump :smile:
  • xxjessikatxx
    Options
    bump
  • tuduis
    tuduis Posts: 67
    Options
    Good Question! I'm doing the AZ one. Tips puhleaseeee
  • AsaThorsWoman
    AsaThorsWoman Posts: 2,303 Member
    Options
    Viking men Nom Nom Nom Nom!
  • AsaThorsWoman
    AsaThorsWoman Posts: 2,303 Member
    Options
    Viking men Nom Nom Nom Nom!
  • pammilou
    pammilou Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Bump too. I'm doing the NC one in late August.
  • MindyC7609
    MindyC7609 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I've not done that race before, but I'm assuming it's a 5K? If so, here's my advice for your first 5K: RELAX! Just go out and enjoy the run. You won't win, but that's not what you're there for. Start at a COMFORTABLE pace, don't get caught up in the excitement and make the mistake of trying to stick with the pack out front. Save something for the kick at the end. Don't worry about what your time is -- whatever it ends up being, plan to run a better time in your next 5K...because there WILL be another. LOL! 5Ks are addictive!

BTW, all I did to prepare for my first 5K was make sure I was comfortable doing 3 miles. I had already been running for 6 months before my first 5K, but signing up for my first race was when I decided to take running more seriously. That was in the spring of 2009, and I worked my way up to my first half-marathon that fall.

Relax, enjoy your race and get ready to sign up for another. :o) Have fun!

ETA: OOPS! Didn't realize it's one of THOSE races, with the mud and all. Ignore my tips. LOL! Maybe they'll help someone doing a 5K in the future. :o)
  • edorice
    edorice Posts: 4,519 Member
    Options
    We have the Dash here in April. I was a spectator at a very similar race a few months ago. Along with your 5K training I would recommend that you work on P90X plyometrics every week. This will also help your stamina. And definitely do the weight days from P90X. You're going to be crawling through mud, so I would wear something light weight. Go back to the site and check out the obsticle course.
  • HeatherMN
    HeatherMN Posts: 3,821 Member
    Options
    I would love to see tips. I'm registered for the Minnesota one in July. My plan is to do lots of running and practice hoisting myself up onto playground equipment!
  • Mint_Berry_Crunch
    Options
    All you're going to need to prepare for really is your cardio vascular system. Run. A lot. If you have minimal upper body strength, try incorporating some upper body work in with your running. I like to use 5# hand weights and do various movements with them while doing intervals....sprint for 45 seconds full speed ahead, then cut back to 4mph or whatever is a brisk walking pace for you, and pull out the weights while doing the slower pace, for 90 seconds, put the weights down and crank it back up to full speed ahead. You do this for 20-30 minutes a day and you'll notice a nice increase in your upper body strength and youll develop more than enough cardio vascular endurance to get through the dash.

Our's is in August and I can't freakin wait!
  • Mint_Berry_Crunch
    Options
    Bump too. I'm doing the NC one in late August.

Oh ya?? Me too! Are you wearing a costume? I totally am. This is going to be a blast!
  • vals83
    vals83 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I'm doing one in August, in CO. I signed up for a boot camp that constantly test endurance lots of calethentics which is great for an event like that.
  • pammilou
    pammilou Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I hadn't even thought about the costume yet...hmmm... that'd be fun! I'll def'ly need to look for ideas on something that won't get in the way (thinking about The Incredibles and the warning about capes ;) haha!)

How about shoes? That's actually something that's puzzles me - with all of that mud, how do you keep your shoes on??

Pam
  • Mint_Berry_Crunch
    Options
    You wear decent running/hiking shoes. I'm wearing my merrils probably. Expect them to be junked out by the end though. The cool thing is, they have this big pile at the end of the event where you can throw your shoes. They recycle them :)
  • Teemo
    Teemo Posts: 338
    Options
    Doing the New York one!
  • sbilyeu75
    sbilyeu75 Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    Any thoughts on wearing Vibrams for the dash? I just signed up for the one in Ohio. I'm nervous about the whole rappelling, does anyone have any insight into that?
  • Teemo
    Teemo Posts: 338
    Options
    Any thoughts on wearing Vibrams for the dash? I just signed up for the one in Ohio. I'm nervous about the whole rappelling, does anyone have any insight into that?

I wouldn't only because I wouldn't want my Vibrams ruined by all the mud? I have an old pair of running shoes that I've been nursing along for this.
  • tdonlin
    tdonlin Posts: 934 Member
    Options
    I did one last September and am signed up for 2 more this year in July here in WA & September again in OR. Find a steep hill and start jogging up and down it. It was the hills that kicked my butt more than anything else. Some of the water obstacles can be a bit of a challenge but use the buddy system and it's no problem. Wear decent shoes. You can donate them or just rinse and wash them when you get home. It was an absolute blast.
  • sbilyeu75
    sbilyeu75 Posts: 567 Member
    Options

I wouldn't only because I wouldn't want my Vibrams ruined by all the mud? I have an old pair of running shoes that I've been nursing along for this.

I thought about the that, but I can't help but think they would be nice and light weight (in comparison) to regular shoes. What is involved in the rappelling?
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    June in Pennsylvania. I'm excited! My husband is terrified.