To much in my Oatmeal??

Options

Replies

• eric5577
    eric5577 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    The honey paired with the raisins may be bit much based upon what I have read about the way our bodies metabolize sugar. The body can only metabolize so much sugar per hour the rest is stored as fat. Using MFP made me realize how much sugar I was taking in from sugar in my coffee, sugar in my oatmeal, honey in my tea etc. I now use only raisins in my oatmeal. I've totally cut out coffee altogether and I drink unsweetened ginger tea. Maybe try alternating some of your additions to your oatmeal and occasionally go all out as a treat. Also, if you are just getting off work, aside from your walk are you then going to sleep on all those calories? That's another way your body will store all of those calories as fat. My morning meal normally consists of steel cut oats raisins and almond or coconut milk and cinnamon. I do 3/4 of a cup of oats but eat it over the course of three sittings over a couple of hours. About 600-700 calories.

Not to bed right away. I eat the Oatmeal around 5am, get home around 630am and walk. Get home arounf 730ish, make my wifes lunch, then do my choirs. I tend to hit the sack around 1030ish. Get up around 530, start dinner.
  • eric5577
    Options
    I read a little more of this thread.

This is usually what I have for b'fast:

1 chicken sausage= 100-130 cals(12grams of protein);depending on the brand
    1 egg= 70cals (7 grams of protein)
    1/2 cup of greek yogurt= 70 cals (11 grams of protein)

That runs about 275 cals/30 grams of protein. You could add 1 tblspn of coconut oil to the yogurt (I use 1/2 tblspn in my coffee). That puts you up to around 400...throw some blueberries in the yogurt, and you are still barely over 400 cals.

I did the math today. If I eat Oatmeal, Blueberries and Coconut Oil, that put me @312. Cutting out the honey and raisins. I used the honey to fight allergies, but I also use honey in my Apple Cider Vinegrr drink. SO I don't need both servings.
  • lishie_rebooted
    lishie_rebooted Posts: 2,973 Member
    Options
    I read a little more of this thread.

This is usually what I have for b'fast:

1 chicken sausage= 100-130 cals(12grams of protein);depending on the brand
    1 egg= 70cals (7 grams of protein)
    1/2 cup of greek yogurt= 70 cals (11 grams of protein)

That runs about 275 cals/30 grams of protein. You could add 1 tblspn of coconut oil to the yogurt (I use 1/2 tblspn in my coffee). That puts you up to around 400...throw some blueberries in the yogurt, and you are still barely over 400 cals.

I did the math today. If I eat Oatmeal, Blueberries and Coconut Oil, that put me @312. Cutting out the honey and raisins. I used the honey to fight allergies, but I also use honey in my Apple Cider Vinegrr drink. SO I don't need both servings.

Eric, youve got 2400 cals to play with (jealous over here btw haha). If you enjoy the honey in everything, you can keep it as long as you're around your calorie , I wouldnt change anything
  • rebprest
    rebprest Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    Do you "need" this much in your oatmeal... obviously not. You could be eating plain milk and oatmeal, but what fun would that be?

Here is what my oatmeal looks like...

1 instant oatmeal packet (maple brown sugar)
    1/2 cup milk
    1/8 cup quinoa
    1 tbs flax meal
    1 tbs hemp seeds
    1 tbs chia seeds
    1 serving blueberries
    1/2 oz. walnuts or almonds

Mine stays under 400 calories and it is packed with other ingredients. It is so filling that I usually can't eat it all. I don't really think much of it because I am hungriest at breakfast time, so if I eat up to 500 calories it would be ok by me. If your current oatmeal style doesn't fit your calories, just cut the coconut oil and raisins and add some coconut flakes. I think you may be overloading it with sugar, which for me lead to increased feelings of hunger later.
  • idmalone
    idmalone Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Not sure what Oats you use but try switching to wholemeal instant oats. They keep you fuller longer, and can be made with water. Perhaps ditch the coconut oil altogether and use a couple of tablespoons of greek yoghurt instead. Lose the raisins and honey - they are just sugar really and you will get used to the taste! Keep the blueberries. I have wholegrain oats, greek yoghurt, chopped almonds and blueberries and it is 278 cals. I am a sugar junkie and have had no trouble at all enjoying them. For the first few mornings I did savour every blueberry for the sweetness but now I am getting better at not needing a lot of sweet taste. All the best, oats are a great start to the day, it's all the additions that add the extra calories you need to be mindful of.

Oh and as many have said before me, you need to work it around your own macros, I only mentioned my calorie amount as a guide - I can't go up to 500 cals per meal, :happy:
  • Naley2322
    Naley2322 Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    honestly....the coconut oil burning fat is a fad... and it doesnt really burn that much... you would lose more weight faster by just cutting it out.....

think about it... you could use those 280 calories for actual food that would give you more energy and keep you fuller
  • justianne82
    Options
    I also love eating oatmeal every morning but I used almond milk instead of coconut milk, almond milk is the best substitute if you want to lose weight, maybe you should not add raisins to your oatmeal, 1/2 cup of fruits is better than having a full cup every day.
  • eric5577
    Options
    Lots of options...love the ideas!! I cut it back to day to see how I feel in the monring. Got just oatmeal, blueberries and Coconut Oil....see how that goes and how I feel when it's time to walk!!

I have seen this egg whites in Oatmeal and willing to give that a shot also...How does one go about preparing it?

Also a big thanks to everyone who has responded, I really appreciate the help!!!
  • Naley2322
    Options
    hahah your dead set on the coconut oils aren't you!!!
  • eric5577
    Options
    hahah your dead set on the coconut oils aren't you!!!

Honestly, I am looking at it from the other side now....do I need that little for that much Cal, but IDK.....could be mental at this point...
  • elisabeisme
    elisabeisme Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    I have seen this egg whites in Oatmeal and willing to give that a shot also...How does one go about preparing it?

Just mix it in before you heat it. I use quick oats and microwave. Add three table spoons of liquid egg whites and an extra tablespoon or two of water. Stir it up very well. The oatmeal may look more liquidy before cooking than you are used to, but the egg white will firm up as it cooks..Stop and stir about halfway through microwaving (or even two times). This is important to help keep the texture fluffy.

When using traditional oats and cooking at home on the stove, most recipes say to heat up the oats and water first, then slowly drizzle in the egg whites. Or some recipes say to whip the egg whites slightly until frothy before adding them. But, it you're taking a container to work, you don't have time for all that. You'll also want to measure out your egg whites ahead of time into the week's containers. The key to using the quick oat microwave method is to stir well before microwaving and to stop and stir halfway through microwaving.

oatmeal with egg white.... nom nom nom, yum!
  • wibutterflymagic
    wibutterflymagic Posts: 788 Member
    Options
    I don't understand why you are adding coconut oil to it. All that is doing is adding needless fat and calories to an otherwise good breakfast. And 2t? That's a lot for 1/2c of oatmeal. Where's your protein? If you're needing some fat for your macros I would take out the oil and add peanut butter or almond butter so you get some protein. That would be a better use of the calories instead of the oil. Raisens and blueberries along with oatmeal.....that's a lot of carbs. Raisens are ungodly high in carbs....I would try to find some alternatives to throw into the mix.....apples, strawberries and alternate your fruit instead of both everyday.
  • Naley2322
    Options
    I agree with wibutterflyma! its going to be harder to lose weight by adding all that oil to a bowl of oatmeal... its so unnecessary with all the other flavorful add ins you have already.. it doesnt add volume or anything for 280 calories... thats the amount of an additional meal! I mean you could have a huge plate of high protein eggs with your oatmeal for 280 calories
  • dopeysmelly
    dopeysmelly Posts: 1,390 Member
    Options
    Oh wow, this thread has some great ideas. I'm saving it.

I always have oatmeal when the weather's cooler, plain with steel cut oats and water - left overnight and on a timer in a rice-cooker. Then I can add what I want to it when it's done. Coconut oil sounds yummy, might give that a go. I usually just add a bit of fresh fruit, bit of milk or yogurt. It's kinda comforting bland.

As for OP - whatever works for your calorie target, your macros and your meal preference IMHO.
  • pineapple_jojo
    pineapple_jojo Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    I don't understand why you are adding coconut oil to it. All that is doing is adding needless fat and calories to an otherwise good breakfast. And 2t? That's a lot for 1/2c of oatmeal. Where's your protein? If you're needing some fat for your macros I would take out the oil and add peanut butter or almond butter so you get some protein. That would be a better use of the calories instead of the oil. Raisens and blueberries along with oatmeal.....that's a lot of carbs. Raisens are ungodly high in carbs....I would try to find some alternatives to throw into the mix.....apples, strawberries and alternate your fruit instead of both everyday.

Totally this ^^ Cut the coconut oil!! Ditch the raisins! Also cut back on the honey, that's a heck of a lot of sugar for 1/2 a cup of oats. This will cut your kcals dramatically!
  • Lelah77
    Lelah77 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    Hello.

I love me some Oatmeal in the morning, it just starts my day off right!! However, using this site I noticed that my Cal intake from this meal is 707 cal. I feel that is a lot to consume in one meal. Here is what I use:

1/2 cup oatmeal= 150cal
    1/4 cup raisins= 130cal
    1 cup Blueberries= 83cal
    2 tbsp Cocoanut Oil= 280cal
    1 tbsp honey= 64cal.

So, am I using to much? I love Cocoanut Oil, and the honey adds a little sweetness to it, but do I need both? Do I need blueberries and raisins??? Or is this OK for breakfast??

The raisins are really high in sugar, but they add a ton of fiber and iron. Honestly, I would cut the coconut oil back to a TSP. You only need about 2 tsp of healthy oil each day to get your Vitamin E and good fats accounted for. That will save you a LOT of calories. Having too much fats/oils can be counter productive, even if its the healthy kinds! If you love the coconut taste, perhaps consider subbing some unsweetened shaved coconut to your recipe: 3 TBSP of shaved coconut is only about 100 calories!
  • itsbasschick
    itsbasschick Posts: 1,584 Member
    Options
    for protein in my oatmeal i prepare it with non-fat milk instead of water. if you don't like the taste of regular non-fat milk, try low-fat or lactaid - it's sweeter and tastier. for even more protein, i might put in half a scoop of protein powder (vanilla, unsweetened), sweeten with stevia and add some cinnamon. yum!

could you use coconut milk instead of coconut oil for the taste?
  • pineapple_jojo
    pineapple_jojo Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    for protein in my oatmeal i prepare it with non-fat milk instead of water. if you don't like the taste of regular non-fat milk, try low-fat or lactaid - it's sweeter and tastier. for even more protein, i might put in half a scoop of protein powder (vanilla, unsweetened), sweeten with stevia and add some cinnamon. yum!

could you use coconut milk instead of coconut oil for the taste?

Ooo coconut milk is a great idea! Thanks!
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,949 Member
    Options
    Perhaps you could try making it with coconut MILK instead! Cut out the oil (and coconut milk is lower cal) and still get the coco-nutty flavour.

That leaves some room for some roasted veggies or what have you later in the day to spread out your recommended 2-3 Tbsp of daily oil.
  • PerlitaGordita
    PerlitaGordita Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Hey Eric!
    Thanks for posting this. I was actually wondering the same thing since I have oatmeal most days :D
    I add all sorts of low cal grains and nuts to make it more filling.