5k Runners

Options
I'm going to attempt my first 5k in March.. I was kinda freaked out until last night when I was able to run 3 miles in under 35 minutes, which makes me happy.. However, is there anything I need to do to really prepare.. Do I need to slack off on my running so I won't get burned out or do I need to keep at it? Also the week of the 5k do I still train like I am now? I'm not training for the 5k, I just do tons of cardio and weight train, this is something I decided I wanted to do this year and if it goes good, maybe do a 10k later in the year. Any and all advice is welcomed.

Replies

• cyndirup
    cyndirup Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I found Hal Higdon plans online very user friendly. He has plans for all sorts of distances, and novice, intermediate, and advanced plans. He also has training you can sign up for and pay, but many are free:

http://www.halhigdon.com/5K Training/index.htm

Good luck!
  • misskate1971
    misskate1971 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    There is a website called "Couch to 5K," and I have several friends who have used it to get prepped for a run. If you follow it exactly, it is supposed to help you a lot! I am going to use it soon, but my first 5K isn't until April! I would be interested in seeing what others in the MFP community have to say about it.

Good luck! Want to be running friends? :)

Kate
  • jrich1
    jrich1 Posts: 2,408 Member
    Options
    I would definately keep your running up and keep at it, maybe stop training for a couple days before so your muscles arent sore. I did my first 5k in Nov and suprised myself how well I did, I guess it the race adrenaline and trying to keep up with people I finished 3min faster than I had set my goal at.
  • ekpattison
    Options
    5ks are SO MUCH FUN

You're gonna love it and you'll be totally fine.

The first time I did one, I was expecting to need to walk part of it--but you get caught up in the crowd and start passing people and its exhilarating. You'll go faster than you ever have :) Just don't sprint for the first half, cause then you'll be tired. Pace yourself. You'll be great!
  • SheehyCFC
    SheehyCFC Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    Keep up your current workouts until the week before. Starting the week before, take it "a bit" easier - if you run 3-4 times a week now, you can keep that up (but NOT the day before, and preferably not 2 days before race-day). I have found that if the race is a Sunday, the previous Sunday I run 3, Tuesday I run 2, Thursday I run 2 (max - and try to do "intervals).

Also, make sure to eat good carbs (ie:whole-wheat pasta) the night before, and DEFINITELY eat breakfast the morning of - protein bars, oatmeal or even just a banana.

Good luck on your first 5k!
  • BobbyDaniel
    BobbyDaniel Posts: 1,460 Member
    Options
    That was a great pace you had, especially with this being your first 5K! I'm a newbie runner too, did my first 5K in December and running my third race in a couple of weeks. I wouldn't slack off right now, you need to keep your endurance up, try to do at least one long run a week and even try to build up from there. And when you run, remember that you are only needing to run against yourself, so don't get caught up with the racers...just run your race! I'm looking at working toward a 10K next year too, so good luck!
  • gdunn55
    gdunn55 Posts: 363
    Options
    Yea I had figured that when my Wednesday rest day came around, that would be it for me.. Maybe do a light jog that Thursday and on Friday do a little carbo loading and do my oatmeal on Saturday. I'm excited about this.
  • Mindful_Trent
    Mindful_Trent Posts: 3,954 Member
    Options
    Definitely don't slack off - I did this last year leading up to a 5k in October (I didn't do much in the 3 weeks before the race) and I did horribly - my feet cramped up due to not being ready/warmed up and it was not a good experience.

I'd make sure you're running regularly every week between now and the 5k. The more practiced you are in running that distance the better your 5k will go. I'd actually practice going a little further than 3 miles - makes the 5k seems easier! I'm training for a 10k, and plan on being able to run 7 miles a few weeks before the 10k, which is 6.2 miles. Go a little easy the week of the race, but there's no reason to take it off completely.

This guy has good training programs for just about every level (5k, 10k, half-marathon, marathon), which include novice/, ntermediate and advanced schedules. Here's his basic training schedule for a 5k - you can use this as your guide and tweak it to meet your needs/goals. http://www.halhigdon.com/5K Training/5-Knovice.htm
  • MindyC7609
    MindyC7609 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    My advice for your first 5K: RELAX! Just go out and enjoy the run. You won't win, but that's not what you're there for. Start at a COMFORTABLE pace, don't get caught up in the excitement and make the mistake of trying to stick with the pack out front. Save something for the kick at the end. Don't worry about what your time is -- whatever it ends up being, plan to run a better time in your next 5K...because there WILL be another. LOL! 5Ks are addictive!

BTW, all I did to prepare for my first 5K was make sure I was comfortable doing 3 miles. I had already been running for 6 months before my first 5K, but signing up for my first race was when I decided to take running more seriously. And don't worry about tapering beforehand -- for a race this short, you can just keep doing all your normal workouts. Make the race just another part of your workout schedule. When I schedule 5Ks now, they're actually light running days for me. ;o)

Relax, enjoy your race and get ready to sign up for another. :o) Have fun!
  • gdunn55
    Options
    Yea I hadn't really figured on doing one, but a guy at work has been harping on me.. My GF told me she done one when she trained with me in NC a few years ago and she did realtively better than she had imagined.. As far as my running workouts go, once a week I do a timed jog around a track. Last night was for 35 minutes. Plus I had a tweaked ankle, a blister on my other foot, and my legs were sore from the lower body workout I done on Saturday. My other hard cardio includes stationary biking, ellipticals, stair masters, and sprints on the treadmill (which will not happen this week due to the tweaked ankle, just stairmaster action and elliptical to take it's place).
  • gdunn55
    Options
    Sure.. I'm always up for new friends.
  • LisaLisaBoBisa
    Options
    There is a website called "Couch to 5K," and I have several friends who have used it to get prepped for a run. If you follow it exactly, it is supposed to help you a lot! I am going to use it soon, but my first 5K isn't until April! I would be interested in seeing what others in the MFP community have to say about it.

Kate
  • LisaLisaBoBisa
    Options
    Kate I just saw your post . . ..I'm doing the C25k light on my phone. :-) I go to the gym every other day and hit the treadmill. I don't have a goal set in terms of a 5k, but I should set one!! I just completed Week 1 of the program and will be starting Week 2 tonight. We can be running friends if you'd like!

Lisa:smile:
  • JMun
    JMun Posts: 409
    Options
    I agree with C25K being AWESOME! It got me ready for my first 5k and now I'm using the Bridge to 10K program to train for my first 10k.

It sounds like you're already doing some great running on your own so I'd just stick with what you're doing! I ran 3.5km three times a week right up until my 5k. I gave myself a 2 day "rest" period before the actual 5k.

You'll get caught up in the energy of running with so many people and you'll have loads of fun! Good Luck :flowerforyou:

Blisters? - hope you have proper running shoes for your feet :noway: Also running socks are cheap and worth it! I also use Body Glide. Its a lubricant in a stick like deoderant. I use it on my feet and it helps keep me blister free. You can pick it up at any running or fitness store (its cheap too).
  • lesliefood
    Options
    I'm just starting couch to 5k and am in the 2nd week. My goal is to be able to run the 5k for autism awareness as my son was just diagnosed. I CAN DO THIS! Anyone want to be couch to 5k buddies?