Why do people criticise clean eaters/healthy lifestyles.

Options
191011121315»

Replies

• wanarun
    wanarun Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I would just tell people that you're allergic. You kind of are, eating any other way makes you sick. lol
  • jigsawxyouth
    jigsawxyouth Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    Does being smug burn lots of calories?
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    I would just tell people that you're allergic. You kind of are, eating any other way makes you sick. lol

I really, really dislike this approach. When people use the word "allergic" then go ahead and eat the things they are "allergic" to (OP says they avoid a lot of this stuff 80-90% of the time so occasionally they would eat the food they usually avoid) it muddies the water for those who are truly allergic. People tend to take allergies less seriously and there are some very serious allergies.
  • Icandoityayme
    Icandoityayme Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    I personally don't care how anyone else does what they do. If it works for you and you are happy with what you are doing, the kudos and awesome job! I too do things that work for me and make me happy. There is nothing wrong with either way as long as it is something you can stick to. I wouldn't be able to do it and stick with it if I cut out all the things clean eating want you to cut out. So I admire anyone who can do it.
  • leodru
    leodru Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    I didn't read all 12 pages of the threat but I think its more of a rebuttal than anything. People pick on each other for eating "dirty" so when someone eats "clean" then it becomes a bit competitive because you can lose weight either way. I guess it becomes somewhat competitive. As well "dirty" eaters always think its about taste and that "clean" eating is awful and tasteless. I always find I want "dirty" food and then have it and realize I enjoy more nutrient rich foods like fruit anyways. All about perception I guess.
  • leodru
    leodru Posts: 321 Member
    Options

I really, really dislike this approach. When people use the word "allergic" then go ahead and eat the things they are "allergic" to (OP says they avoid a lot of this stuff 80-90% of the time so occasionally they would eat the food they usually avoid) it muddies the water for those who are truly allergic. People tend to take allergies less seriously and there are some very serious allergies.

I agree. I work with someone with a gluten allergy and people in restaurants often question her if it's an "allergy" or "lifestyle choice" because allergies actually have real implications for her. Not sure why people just don't ask for what they want - they are paying for it so ask for it! It makes it difficult for people with real medical conditions to be taken seriously.
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    Options
    "Clean eating" is a vague term that tends to get thrown around by people trying to make it sound like their lifestyle is "better" than everyone elses. Since eating clean is rarely defined the same way by any two people claiming to do it, it gets annoying. Therefore, people make fun of it. Even your title tries to suggest that clean eating is the same thing as a healthy lifestyle.

Anyone who claims that his or her way of doing things is THE way to live is inherently wrong and deserves ridicule.

+1
  • redversustheblue
    redversustheblue Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    One word ' Pretentious'

Ordering a salad = Pretentious
    Ordering a burger = Normal

Normal beat the hell out the the Pretentious. The end.

Maybe you just need new friends?

Sometimes I'll order a burger. Sometimes I'll order a salad. I've never gotten a reaction on way or another from anyone.

Totally. I've never once thought anything about a friend who ordered a salad while I ate a burger. I don't care, I don't order salad because frankly I dislike 90% of salads and I'm not going to waste my money on something I don't like. But if my friend loves salad, then I just hope that she enjoys her meal while I enjoy mine.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    Clicks on thread, reads OP & agrees 100%.
  • sloth3toes
    sloth3toes Posts: 2,212 Member
    Options

12 pages of immature drivel verifies the title.

****-just-got-real-bert-sesame-street.jpg

Again.
  • QueenBishOTUniverse
    QueenBishOTUniverse Posts: 14,121 Member
    Options
    Also, they police my eating to make sure I'm adhering to my "diet". I'm whole foods plant based vegan,
    In my experience this happens when the person in question goes on about their choice and how great it is.
    People naturally get annoyed and are happy to point out when they see the person being hypocritical.

Seeing that my 'healthy diet' involves eating and food I feel like (which meets my macros of course, but now that I'm not on a big deficit it's not an issue to incorporate most foods in to the macros.)

That's not quite how I am, but I can see your point. Texas is a weird place to be a vegan though, (outside of athletics) probably, so I do hear lots of funny things. :D And when I don't know people well, they ask a lot of questions when they first find out. I usually try to change the subject because I'd rather talk more about other stuff! like running, and books, and other interesting things! I generally try to get people to move on to more amusing subjects like "what do you think about when you're running for that long?" and "have you ever pooped your pants?" and "omg, how long did it take you to run that far?"

I'm pretty sure I was probably much more obnoxious when I was on weight watchers a gazillion years ago, b/c I was constantly trying to figure out how much points every thing had in it! glad to be done with that!

LOL Texas, ok say no more. If you're not eating the bbq people are going to want to know why, and the minute they hear the word Vegan.....:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

The difference though, when I was in California I would have people stop me in the grocery store to explain to me why the food I was getting was bad for me and how I was poisoning myself based on what was in my cart. :huh:

So in my experience anyways, the first group might poke a bit of fun and/or tease, the second group was more likely to lecture and attempt to convert me. I'll take the teasing over the lecture thank you.

I've lived in California my entire life. Never once has anyone commented on the contents of my shopping cart. Not even grocery clerks. Who are these people you guys run into and how does that conversation even start? Additionally, I never ever have people comment on any food I'm eating, other than to say something looks or smells good. But, I've never had anyone say anything about my food choices, good or bad. Maybe some of you are super overly sensitive or something. Like, you feel guilty about eating more healthful foods, so when someone says something you fly into a rage, when it's just a simple comment they might have made even if it was cheese enchiladas.

LOL, I was attending UCLA at the time, if you're familiar with the area..... but yea I actually got stopped on a few different occasions so people could lecture me about how unhealthy my food choices were. I just said thanks and moved on, but it was damn funny.
  • Athijade
    Athijade Posts: 3,269 Member
    Options

12 pages of immature drivel verifies the title.

Oh, another one that proves that the problem can be on BOTH sides of the fence.

"Immature drivel" doesn't make you sound all that mature either. In fact, it's the exact sort of thing that the OP was complaining about others doing to them. So actually, you are hurting the OPs argument. Not that I think the OP is "right", but just as a general comment.
  • silentKayak
    silentKayak Posts: 658 Member
    Options
    If you're interested in a real answer to your question instead of just validation of your views:

No one cares what you eat, except maybe your mother. So if people are reacting badly to you, there are only 2 possibilities:

1) Maybe you talk about yourself and your habits all the time. I'm careful about what I eat, too, but I don't discuss my diet/food/nutrition with anyone outside of my family or maybe my best friend. There's a woman at my office who talks about her diet/exercise plan ALL THE TIME. It's really boring, obnoxious, and selfish. I don't CARE that you had an amazing workout. I don't CARE that you lost a pound, or gained a pound, or feel bloated. I don't CARE that you're instagramming all your meals to track your calories, or started a colon cleanse, or gave up sodium, or whatever. Ugh.

2) Maybe you're judgmental. Not everyone cares about the same thing you do. If you make people feel bad about their own choices, they'll react badly. If your internal voice is RIGHT NOW thinking, "But they're wrong! They should feel bad!", then this is your problem. Even if you don't say anything, you're telegraphing it, so no wonder they think you're a jerk.

You can make whatever choices you want about what to eat. So can everyone else. If someone offers you donuts at the office, just ... don't take one, or say "No, thanks". If you say "I don't eat sugar" or "why would anyone put that crap in their body", then, yeah, you're being a jerk about it.

Now if they ask, "So, I noticed you don't eat meat?" or "how did you get that amazing 6-pack" - well, then, they've opened the floodgates, so feel free to keep talking until they smack you :)

This is my opinion. But then, I'm also an atheist (an atheist atheist, not an agnostic atheist) who thinks it's morally wrong to argue with religious people about why there's no god. So I am more committed than most people to "live and let live" and "keep your opinions to yourself until asked". And yes, you asked!
  • pookeyism
    pookeyism Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I don't get a lot of negative feedback, but I have noticed I am not invited to dinners as often. My Hubby picks on me a little, but I also know he likes that I feel better.

I eat mostly raw about 70%, some veggies are better when heated slightly and I eat no grains or refined sugar and I avoid additives, and I do not drink carbonated beverages. With meat I made a decision a long time ago to eat what I call "mindful protein" - I am a carnivore to be certain, and my body does not do well without some animal protein. However, I also want to know to the best of my ability that the meat I eat was not put through more stress than necessary. So I do not eat meat that I have not hunted, or know who hunted it, or know the farm that it came from. I don't eat small things that several lives had to die to provide me a meal - so not shrimp, crab, lobster, etc. Try explaining THAT at the dinner table with your Hubby's work friends, lol.

As time passes and I stick to my guns and offer information and people can see it benefits me, and eventually EAT my dishes and desserts (I make a raw apple pie made of nothing other than dates, pecans, apples, saigon cinnamon and peaches, nom nom). They tend to come around a bit.