HRM or fitness tracker??

Ok I have been debating on geting a fitbit or jawbone up...but....how acurate are they? I would think a HRM would tell you better how many calories you are buring since you are tracking the heart rate not just movements. A hike going up a mountain is going to burn more calories than walking on flat land. I like the FT idea because of the sleep monitor. So what is your opinion? Is a HR monitor better than a fitness tracker? would it be best to use both together? is there a HRM that connects to MFP?? What brand would you recommended for both?

Replies

• sophiek1964
    sophiek1964 Posts: 79 Member
    I have a Polar Loop which is an activity tracker. I also got the Polar bluetooth HRM chest strap that works with the Polar Loop. Each was about $99 which gives me both the activity tracker and heart rate monitor.

You need a chest strap HRM to get a good calorie burned/heart rate reading for aerobic exercise sessions.
  • missyjg99
    missyjg99 Posts: 246 Member
    I have a polar T4 and until recently used the fitbit flex. I am not a fitbit lover. I am generally very active and it way over estimated my calories burned and the number of steps I took. So I broke up with fitbit. But that being said, I know many many people who absolutely love it so I guess it's different for each person. I know many people who use both.
    I love being as accurate as I can with calories in vs calories out. It makes things so simple. That's why I'm just sticking with my HRM. I recommend the polar. So my vote is for HRM. It really depends on how you are going to use it. Do you want something motivating to keep you/get you moving? Then the fitbit would be good. If you want something to motivate you to burn more calories and increase your heartrate during workouts? Then HRM. Depends on how you will use it. That's my experience on it.
  • Escloflowne
    Escloflowne Posts: 2,038 Member
    I found the fitness tracker useless because I like to bike, it wouldn't count the calories because it wasn't actually in motion unless I put it on my calf and it still wasn't accurate.
  • hrmm trackers are expensive?
  • gypsyrose85
    gypsyrose85 Posts: 206 Member
    I want something that will motivate me to get going in general but also something that lets me know what I am burning. The sleep tracker (i never wake rested) is what has be debating on a fitness tracker.
    I have a polar T4 and until recently used the fitbit flex. I am not a fitbit lover. I am generally very active and it way over estimated my calories burned and the number of steps I took. So I broke up with fitbit. But that being said, I know many many people who absolutely love it so I guess it's different for each person. I know many people who use both.
    I love being as accurate as I can with calories in vs calories out. It makes things so simple. That's why I'm just sticking with my HRM. I recommend the polar. So my vote is for HRM. It really depends on how you are going to use it. Do you want something motivating to keep you/get you moving? Then the fitbit would be good. If you want something to motivate you to burn more calories and increase your heartrate during workouts? Then HRM. Depends on how you will use it. That's my experience on it.
  • kathdela
    kathdela Posts: 148 Member
    I use both. I use my fitbit to help motivate me and to get an idea of how active I am on an average day.

I use my HRM when I am doing any sort of intentional exercise.
  • kimnsc
    kimnsc Posts: 560 Member
    While I have a fitbit I wouldn't recommend it. It randomly removed steps, calories (which I think it over estimates) and very active minutes. It's hard to track if they randomly disappear. I would go with the Polar Loop and include a chest strap for HRM. I have always been pleased with my Polar products.
  • gypsyrose85
    Does it have a sleep tracker???
    While I have a fitbit I wouldn't recommend it. It randomly removed steps, calories (which I think it over estimates) and very active minutes. It's hard to track if they randomly disappear. I would go with the Polar Loop and include a chest strap for HRM. I have always been pleased with my Polar products.
  • lkhaycook
    lkhaycook Posts: 23 Member
    Do you have a smartphone? I have an app called 'Sleep Time' that tracks my sleep and I have a friend that uses the app 'Sleep as Android'. It works well for me. Then I have a Garmin 305 with a heart rate monitor that I wear when I exercise. (I don't think it would work wearing it over an entire day but Garmin may have another product that would).
  • laystarr
    laystarr Posts: 7 Member
    I have a body media that I've been using for a little over a year. When I do cardio I use my polar HRM FT4 for accuracy of calories burned. The body media tracks the calories, but to find out a time period of calories burned you would have to add them up. All in all I love both of them used together. If I had to choose it would be the HRM. I vote HRM!
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    I use both. I use my fitbit to help motivate me and to get an idea of how active I am on an average day.

I use my HRM when I am doing any sort of intentional exercise.
    +1

I love my Fitbit and it definitely motivates me to be more active. I use my Garmin 410 when I am running.
  • gypsyrose85
    I do but it's a bit outdated with android 4.1
    Do you have a smartphone? I have an app called 'Sleep Time' that tracks my sleep and I have a friend that uses the app 'Sleep as Android'. It works well for me. Then I have a Garmin 305 with a heart rate monitor that I wear when I exercise. (I don't think it would work wearing it over an entire day but Garmin may have another product that would).
  • gypsyrose85
    do any HRMs connect with MFP
  • gypsyrose85
    and has anyone experianced the jawbone up??
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    do any HRMs connect with MFP
    Check the apps area. I don't believe an HRM will "connect" directly to MFP but certain apps connect with MFP that will connect with a HRM.
  • AnthonyThrashD
    AnthonyThrashD Posts: 306 Member
    I began with a FitBit, but found it completely useless and inaccurate. I switched to an Ironman chest strap HRM, and absolutely love it! It doesn't synch with MFP, but if you're going for accuracy of CICO, I don't think you can beat a chest strap HRM for tracking calories burned during aerobic sessions!

good luck
  • CrusherKun
    CrusherKun Posts: 353 Member
    I use a MIO Link - its a wrist only HRM that has won numerous awards for its accuracy. only $99 and it syncs with Endomondo, which in turn syncs with MFP.

I love this little thing. Battery life is 7-10 hours, so enough to get a week or more of workouts in before recharge (usb recharge cable). It doesn't have a display on the watch (if you want that the MIO Alpha is available but is $100 more) but it does have an LED that flashes a different color to tell you when your HR is getting into certain zones. I have gotten so much more out of my workouts and wish I would have bought one last year when I started down my path!
  • codycsweet
    codycsweet Posts: 1,019 Member
    It's a personal choice. I have both and rarely use my HRM anymore. Most of the activities I do Zumba, walks, etc are step based. I do lift but even a HRM isn't accurate for this. I found that my Fitbit burn for a step based activity and HR bur. were really close in calorie burns. I wear my Fitbit zip every day and it has made me aware of how little I used to move and how much more I move now. I like seeing the step numbers increase I like to see were I am in relation to others and cheer them on. I love that it links to MFP.
  • jtw158
    jtw158 Posts: 7
    I had a Jawbone UP over a year ago, I liked the interface and it was comfortable but after 3 months or so it stopped charging, they sent me a new one and that worked for maybe a month then I gave up on it.

I have a Body media armband now and I like it. I am not certain how accurate the calories are but I can at least use it for comparison from day to day.

If you are looking for accurate calories burned doing exercise a HRM is much better but I don't have any recommendations for which one to get.

Good Luck.
  • SuMcP
    SuMcP Posts: 244 Member
    I've used a couple of different activity trackers and HRM's. Benefits of the HRM is accuracy of your workout burns, benefits of the boy monitor is that it measures all the other stuff too. At the moment I have a Jawbone UP 24, but you have to tell it when you are going to exercise and what that exercise is. I had a Bodymedia arm band which was more accurate, but big and not shower proof. Also with the UP, you have to record when you are going to bed for it to measure your sleep. I hear Apple are producing their own BM later this year - it might be worth waiting for the reviews? The UP is quite good, but I think it could be improved, it's not comfortable to wear an HRM all the time, but you could do it if you want to accurately measure your TDEE and take it from there. hope this helps