Any advice for anemia?

Options
Hi, been a tough year. New Years just been, I was well on my way to reaching my target weight, 19 pounds down and 6 to go, when I found a lump in my neck. Fast foreword to April I had surgery to have a huge cyst removed and half my thyroid with it. Healed nicely and no cancer. Still wAiting for thyroxine to settle, but for the last 8 weeks I've felt worse than crap. Zero energy, after being awake 8 hours I can barely lift a fork to my mouth. Itchy skin, white in my eyelids, pale complexion. Doctor and blood tests say iron deficiency anemia.

No I'm desperate to get back into boxing, lifting and running. My thyroid stopped me doing it for 6 months, now this anemia is finishing me off. I'm on an iron supplement, but I'd like to hear from other people that have had severe anemia from lack of iron, what you did to recover quickly and just some encouragement really. I'm so utterly depressed with it and I desperately want my life and exercise routine back. I'm 26 and feel like I'm 86.

Thanks
Chickpeas

Replies

• ajax041813
    ajax041813 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry to hear your troubles yet inspired by your attitude to get healthier! I have not suffered from anemia. However, I did just notice tonight that the chicken hearts I used with our ground beef for taco salad was very high in iron. Sounds gross, I know. I grind them up in our food processor until the consistency of ground beef. Then I take half out, put in half of the beef and blend that together. Then do the second half. Honestly, once it was cooked, on the stove with coconut oil and taco seasonings. It tasted great. I had to cook it in batches, the first getting a little overcooked and dried out. Other than that it was awesome. I also have a great burger recipe if you're interested in that.

I think spinach is high in iron. I can't think of anything else. I would search for foods high in iron and incorporate as many as possible. Good luck!
  • FatKidAtHeart88
    FatKidAtHeart88 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Hey there! I am so sorry to hear about your issues with your health. Imagine how your body would feel if you werent making the changes to a healthier lifestyle THEN found out about that cyst. I havent had any issues with anemia and would call up my doctor if I was having such troublesome symptoms. They may be able to do something for you to give you some relief.

I do understand, however, the drive to be healthy despite my body not wanting to cooperate. Back in 2012, I was in a motorcycle accident and I fractured my left shoulder. I was doing great before that, eating healthy and losing weight. Then I couldn't use one arm which made cooking difficult and going to the gym impossible. Despite all these obstacles, I didn't give up. I listened to my body and let it heal from the injury and I slowly incorporated exercise again. I just wanted to tell you not to give up! You don't have to be perfect. This is a journey and being as healthy and fit as YOU can be is what I would call success. Push yourself a little bit more every day and before you know it, you will be miles closer to your goal than you ever thought you could be.
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    Options
    WebMD Archive

It used to be called "iron-poor blood," but now we know it as anemia. Whatever you call it, one way to help treat it is to eat foods rich in iron (most doctors recommend taking a supplement, too).

To boost the amount of iron in your diet, try these foods:

Red meat
    Egg yolks
    Dark, leafy greens (spinach, collards)
    Dried fruit (prunes, raisins)
    Iron-enriched cereals and grains (check the labels)
    Mollusks (oysters, clams, scallops)
    Turkey or chicken giblets
    Beans, lentils, chick peas and soybeans
    Liver
    Artichokes

And here's a tip: If you eat iron-rich foods along with foods that provide plenty of vitamin C, your body can better absorb the iron.

http://www.webmd.com/diet/features/top-10-iron-rich-foods

I agree, you do have a great attitude! I hope you're able to get back to what you love to do shortly.:flowerforyou: Also I hadn't realized that eating iron rich foods with vitamin C absorbs the iron better. Nice tip they included!
    Hey there! I am so sorry to hear about your issues with your health. Imagine how your body would feel if you werent making the changes to a healthier lifestyle THEN found out about that cyst. I havent had any issues with anemia and would call up my doctor if I was having such troublesome symptoms. They may be able to do something for you to give you some relief.

I do understand, however, the drive to be healthy despite my body not wanting to cooperate. Back in 2012, I was in a motorcycle accident and I fractured my left shoulder. I was doing great before that, eating healthy and losing weight. Then I couldn't use one arm which made cooking difficult and going to the gym impossible. Despite all these obstacles, I didn't give up. I listened to my body and let it heal from the injury and I slowly incorporated exercise again. I just wanted to tell you not to give up! You don't have to be perfect. This is a journey and being as healthy and fit as YOU can be is what I would call success. Push yourself a little bit more every day and before you know it, you will be miles closer to your goal than you ever thought you could be.
    :heart: What an awesome response!!
  • shapefitter
    shapefitter Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    You need to see your general practitioner for regular check ups!
  • windyrobotham
    windyrobotham Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Also watch for foods that can block absorption like too much calcium.
  • RachelWithoutAPaddle
    RachelWithoutAPaddle Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Hello Chickpeas!

I was anemic for many months, it turns out I had chronic appendicitis and had a life-threatening infection in my abdomen. I was admitted at the point of needing a transfusion and was starting to experience septic shock. If you aren't getting any less anemic with the iron supplements I think you should go back to your doctor. I didn't get back to normal until about 2 months after my diagnosis, and it took healing the majority of my infection to do it. If it's climbing slowly, that's okay, it won't go from low to normal overnight, but if it's not getting better or getting worse, something is wrong and you should see your doctor again.
  • shapefitter
    shapefitter Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    Please, see your practitioner. thyroid.about.com/cs/basicinformation/a/nothyroid.htm
  • Naley2322
    Naley2322 Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    I was really anemic and being a vegetarian it was hard but I got my levels way up and energy back my drinking a pack of pure absorb iron every night with orange juice. Also i made sure to not have any iron inhibiting foods within 3 hours before or after so having it with my bed time snack of oatmeal and added molasses or iron!
  • chickpeas1
    chickpeas1 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Thank you for all your replies and encouragement. Shapefitter - I'm seeing my doctor on a weekly basis. I was only diagnosed with anemia last week. I've been on iron supplements for 4 days but I feel worse than ever. Can't lift my arms, it's too much effort and I keep feeling faint.

Naley2322, I'll have to give that a go I stocked up on fresh orange juice today. Given up tea and coffee.

I've just started a new business to so I need to be fighting fit. It's just really frustrating and I need to know there's light at the end of it. Sorry for the moaning, it's just really getting me down.

Stocked up on cashewnuts to. I eat little meat anyway, more of a fish and Med and Thai girl :/
  • Rabblies
    Rabblies Posts: 2
    Options
    Cook in a cast iron skilled, that will add small amounts of iron back to your diet through use. Hope everything starts evening out for you soon!
  • sherisse69
    sherisse69 Posts: 795 Member
    Options
    If you had part of your thyroid removed - are they testing your thyroid levels? If they are out of whack you will feel awful and exhausted - you may need to be on medication for that. And anemia seems to go hand in hand with this. Be mindful of when you are taking your iron and with what. I recently started being treated for both hypothyroidism and anemia - it is a slow process to find out what doses are appropriate to get you feeling normal again - but the timing of when you take your meds will effect how your body absorbs these. For example, I need to make sure I take my thyroid med on an empty stomach and I can't eat anything for at least an hour after. When taking my iron - I take FeraMax 150 x2 - I take these at night before bed. Normally I love tea in the evening - but have had to switch it to early evening, as apparently tea, coffee or wine in the system with the iron will effect its absorption. As well, some iron pills shouldn't be taken with food, so you may be best to take them several hours after your last meal - but some are better absorbed with food. The bottle or a quick google of your brand should help with some of those details. And while googling check for foods/drinks that interfere for your own reference - I am sure there is a lot more info out there then I found. Best of luck! :)
  • student94
    student94 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed with iron deficiency anemia a little over a year ago. It does take a little while to get back to yourself even after you start taking iron. I would recommend taking it easy for the next few weeks, and making sure you get all the iron your doctor recommends. There are supplements with vitamin c (I take vitron c), and taking your iron between meals can help absorption. I hope you feel better soon!
  • Naley2322
    Naley2322 Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    By drinking the iron at night before bed I was still able to have my coffee in the morning without it blocking it!!

I really recommend the pure absorb iron packs they are a bit expensive but they really are worth it and they are so gentle on the stomach!