Easy Salads to Bring to Work

Options
erroneouserin
erroneouserin Posts: 2 Member
I've been trying to make this the "summer of salads" for the lunches that I bring to work. I'm looking for more salad ideas that are quick to assemble (ideally in bulk at the start of the week) that are easy to bring to work...and GO!

Replies

• katya_be
    katya_be Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    I eat a salad at work everyday! I usually do romaine lettuce or spinach as the base.. then i grill a huge amount of chicken breast for the week and add it to my salad everyday.. you can also add boiled eggs or canned tuna as the protein... then I add veggies to my salad: cherry tomatoes, avocados ( add those the night before or the morning of the day you eat it), cucumbers, red onion, carrots, sundried tomatoes, peppers, mushrooms, anything else you have on hand like olives, blue cheese.. I make sure to measure everything out and most days my salads end up being anywhere from 400-600 calories. I love my salads and look forward to them every day.
  • naturesfempower
    naturesfempower Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I make a mandarin chicken salad with spinach, mandarin oranges, celery, almonds, and a ginger dressing. Tasty.

Also, spinach, strawberries, pecans, feta cheese, and balsamic dressing.

Or, spinach, tomatoes, onions, cucumbers, garbanzo beans, olives, feta cheese and greek dressing.
  • naturesfempower
    naturesfempower Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    There are also beans salads like black eyed pea, garbanzo, or black bean if you get tired of lettuce/spinach. They kind of break up the routine and give a good dose of protein and fiber.
  • bizgirl26
    bizgirl26 Posts: 1,808 Member
    Options
    I like to do a fruit one too. Baby romaine, raspberries, blueberries, blackberries, craisins, slivered almonds and or sesame seeds with a raspberry or poppy seed dressing
  • katya_be
    katya_be Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    I cannot feel full/satisfied from a salad unless it has loads of protein in it.. which is why I add so much chicken
  • bizgirl26
    bizgirl26 Posts: 1,808 Member
    Options
    Yes my standard seems to be veggies and chicken breast or eggs but once in a while I have to shake it up or I get bored . Love feta cheese in my salads too
  • brookielaw
    brookielaw Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    Spinach, diced apple, craisins, feta cheese, almonds or pecans, and pickled jalapeños. Sounds weird, tastes delicious. No dressing required.
  • firesweetheart
    firesweetheart Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    In to save this for ideas!
  • engodwin
    engodwin Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    Check out Pintrest salads in mason jars - tons of ideas and a way to pack at the beginning of the week so you don't have to do it daily and nothing gets soggy
  • lmojoallen
    lmojoallen Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    http://www.fitsugar.com/How-Pack-Salads-Week-34675868#photo-34675975

Kale, spinach, cabbage, shredded brussell sprouts and romaine are greens that hold up really well the kale you can even put the dressing on and it's fine for a few days plus it's very dense and chewy so I find I eat it slower which helps the satisfied feeling. A little avocado and low fat or fat free feta goes a long way, even shredded parmesean in very small amounts = a lot of flavor. fruits are really nice w/ kale and mashing up some of the fruit to combine w/ vinegar, sugar free jam to thicken, mustard etc you can make a dressing w/ no oil
    Definitely add protein egg whites, chicken ( quorn for vegetarians like me) tofu, beans.

I also started doing sushi bowls - rice ( quinoa, barley etc) various veggies raw cucumber, avocado, carrots radishes lightly cooked in rice wine vinegar, roasted beets then add tofu, chicken , cooked fish or shrimp. Top w/ sesame seeds, nori if you like that, dressing made w/ soy sauce, rice vinegar, spices no oils makes it very low cal and arrange in the container in little groupings makes it very visually appealing http://www.budgetbytes.com/2010/03/sushi-bowls/
  • Sunflwer3
    Sunflwer3 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I make a lot of home made salads. Chicken Caesar with grilled chicken, Parmesan cheese and Caesar dressing. Taco salad with taco meat, cheese, green onion, olives, sour cream and salsa. Pretty much use whatever meat is in the fridge and add what I have on hand. Mushrooms, tomato, onions, feta or another cheese, broccoli, etc.
  • tehman
    tehman Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    In for ideas. I second that you need a good amount of protein to satisfy the hunger goods for a few hours. And Variety of ingredients from day to day is key. Keep trying different ones. Lastly don't have a salad every day. I try to have a salad for one meal each day but it gets boring sometimes.
  • erroneouserin
    erroneouserin Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for all the great ideas and suggestions! :flowerforyou:
  • mank32
    mank32 Posts: 1,323 Member
    Options
    Check out Pintrest salads in mason jars - tons of ideas and a way to pack at the beginning of the week so you don't have to do it daily and nothing gets soggy

:creeping hard:
  • candythorns
    candythorns Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    Not the healthiest calorically, but healthy in nutrients cause of the kale?:

Kale, with an oil and lots of garlic, then you add breadcrumbs and parm (50/50), it is SO good.
  • candythorns
    candythorns Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    I also like to just mix a bunch of veggies together, and bring a can of tuna with me to work and add it. If you get a flavored tuna you won't need a dressing.
  • Nataliea87
    Nataliea87 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Super easy "Summer Salad":

1 1/2 cups of lettuce (I use Iceberg, but it's equally delicious with Romaine, and one day I got super adventurous and added some kale, which was amazing!)
    1/3 cup of shredded cabbage/Julienned carrot mix (I buy this pre-shredded and mixed from Target. I am lazy.)
    1/4 Cup of snap peas, broken in half
    2 Tyson "Chicken Tenders" which I bake the night before. Actually, I bake several, consume some, and make sure I leave 2 for my salad. If you're stronger-willed than me, you could probably bake these in advance and use them on your salad each day.
    2 tbsp Asian Sesame dressing.

My salad comes out to be about 500-550 calories, which isn't bad because it makes a HUGE salad. I'm very satisfied afterwards, and usually eat at 11:30, and then don't start to feel hungry until about 5:00ish, which is when I make dinner. You could also add mandarin oranges to it, raw ramen noodles give it a nice crunch if you're into that sort of thing, and of course if you're an onion fan, green onions would complement well.
  • sorrias123
    sorrias123 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I eat salads every day for lunch. I'm all about shortcuts so I start with the pre-packaged organic sweet leafy greens from Central Market (I live in Central Texas so HEB and Central Market both carry this). It's a huge container and lasts me the entire week, even with using for some dinners as well.

Each morning, I slice 1 carrot, about 10 slices of cucumber and 6-10 grape tomatoes into a gallon size ziplock bag, add 3-5 cups fo the greens and you have the makings of a salad. Add a can of drained tuna and your favorite low calorie dressing right before you eat and serve yourself up some healthy, low calorie goodness. I also add a chopped apple to my salad and I use Kraft Sun Dried Tomato Dressing...totals 427 calories.

(If you don't like tuna, you can top with grilled chicken strips or add black beans for protein.)
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,719 Member
    Options
    This one is protein heavy, so very satiating:

http://www.myrecipes.com/recipe/avocado-chicken-salad-50400000120282/

I skip the tortilla chips, and add extra tomato.

Another trick (besides protein) for making salad more satiating is to toss in some cooked quinoa, shelled edamame, or chickpeas.
  • changing4life
    changing4life Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    Some great ideas. I especially like the mason jar idea.