Grocery Shopping Ideas

Options
Hi everyone!

I am new to fitness pal and I am starting fresh to lose about 30 pounds! I am really motivated, but I could use some advice on what foods to buy when I go grocery shopping today.

What foods to you always keep on hand?

What do you have that is grab and go but healthy? (other than fruit and veggies)

What do you make for breakfast?

What do you pack for lunch at work and snacks?

What do you make for dinner?

I know there is a lot of questions there, but it all starts with what you buy from the grocery store, so any advice will help!

Thank you!!!

-Heather

Replies

• onionparsleysage
    onionparsleysage Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Only shopping around the edge of the store is a good place to start. It's much easier to wreck your plans with 3,000 calories of Doritos than it is with 3,000 calories of chicken & broccoli. You'll have to do a little prepping at the beginning of the week for convenience foods, but it's soooo worth it to feel healthy & nourished.

If you're interested in following a plan with some direction, a Whole 30 can be a good place to start. (so ignore my dairy & rice suggestions)

Grab & go: hard-boiled eggs, 1/2 milk + 1/2 iced coffee, 100 cal packets of almonds, cans of sardines (not safe for work!), carrots & ranch dressing, single servings of cottage cheese, chia seed puddings, sunbutter + apple or carrot

Packed lunch: cubed steak over rice with some terriyaki sauce, or other leftovers. Plus some snacky foods listed above.
  • WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    Options
    An apple and some walnuts are one of my favorite snacks ever. Cheese sticks. Small handful of trail mix. Beef jerky. I like to buy a pre-cooked turkey breast, then cube it up. Soy nuts. Marinated then baked tofu, cut into cubes.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Things to always keep on hand:

teas, coffee
    rice, qunioa, pasta, oatmeal
    olive oii, soy sauce, mustards, vinegar,
    beans, tomatoes, tuna, salmon
    vegetable stock, nuts, dried fruit,
    red peper flakes, paprika,cinnamon, ginger,

rotisserie chicken in the freezer,
    frozen veggies
    frozen berries,
  • abs0830
    abs0830 Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    I echo the shopping on the outside of the grocery. Fresh veggies/fruits are the main things I buy. Spinach, tomatoes, onions, asparagus, carrots, berries and others are the main ones that are in my house. I also keep Kind Bars and Larabar's on hand. They are tasty, help with my sweet tooth and are quick so I don't splurge on something else.

Feel free to send me a friend request if you'd like additional support :-)
  • AllOutof_Bubblegum
    AllOutof_Bubblegum Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options
    Wild rice
    Quinoa
    grits
    oatmeal
    ground turkey
    lean ground beef
    chicken breasts
    broccoli
    salad greens mix
    tomatoes
    peanut butter
    granola bars
    eggs
    all natural spaghetti sauce
  • AllOutof_Bubblegum
    AllOutof_Bubblegum Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options
    My diary is always open, if you want meal ideas. I eat 80-90% healthy, with a few junk snacks and desserts.