what can you use besides salad dressing on salads?

Options
12346»

Replies

• sapphies
    sapphies Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I like lemon or balsamic. I use a bit of olive oil sometimes too. If I am nearing my calories and I don't want the extra. I have been known to put a couple of sprays of the Pam non stick olive oil cooking spray. It does give the illusion of olive oil with out the added calories. I do know some are so against those sprays, but too each his own...I like it and use it for sauteing etc.
  • canary_girl
    canary_girl Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    I am obsessed with homemade pico de gallo. Just tomatoes, jalepenos, white onion, cilantro, salt, and fresh lime juice. I add extra lime juice and spoon it over my salads. So Yummy! I aso like balsamic vinegar as a dressing.

I like the idea of avocado and vinegar, going to try that, usually just chop up the avocado.
  • Magenta15
    Magenta15 Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    olive oil + vinager ( red wine, balsamic, flavored balsamic etc) + spices
    salsa & cottage cheese
    dressing made with avocado

maple syrup + mustard + evoo
  • Shalaurise
    Shalaurise Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    Mustard? Ketchup? BBQ sauce.... I vote BBQ sauce. It is quite yummy. *nods*
  • silentKayak
    silentKayak Posts: 658 Member
    Options
    I'm not a big fan of salad dressing, but I made a yummy one with a few fresh chopped mint leaves, chopped green onion, a bit of balsamic vinegar, and lime juice.
  • Laura100AC
    Laura100AC Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Easiest and tastiest thing I use is yoghurt and mint dressing. It's the stuff they use to put on chip shop kebabs here in the UK :laugh:

Around 50 calories for enough to cover your salad and it comes in a huge sauce bottle. Best thing is it has a similar expiration date to ketchup, so you don't need to throw any away or buy it every week :love:
  • daw0518
    daw0518 Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    I really like vinaigrettes. I was always stubbornly a ranch dressing person but recently realized I just really don't like ranch that much on my salads. It's okay once in awhile, but mostly boring & overdone. I bought a raspberry vinaigrette a few weeks ago & it changed my life. Spinach, walnuts, craisins, grilled chicken, & raspberry vinaigrette is a salad I could eat everyday for the rest of my life. I got the regular kind & I believe it's 60 calories per 2T. You don't really need all 2T because the dressing is so thin & so flavorful, so you could probably use less. There's also a 'lite' version, that is probably lower calorie but I don't know by how much.
  • skullshank
    skullshank Posts: 4,324 Member
    Options
    if i need to watch my fat macro for the day, i opt for fat free ranch.

not as satisfying as the real deal, but i find it more enjoyable than lemon juice or vinegar.
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    Good ideas up in here.
  • liekewheeless
    liekewheeless Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    If you are just worried about calories, there are plenty of low calorie salad dressings. (between 25 and 35 cal. for 2 tbsp)
    If you are looking for alternatives for other reasons, I second the salsa idea.

You can also stir in seasoned chicken, the flavor will get on the salad as well if you shred it really fine.
  • MizTerry
    MizTerry Posts: 3,763 Member
    Options
    When we go to San Jose's, I like to get a plain salad with pico de gallo on it and a dollop of sour cream.