Cooking for one...

Options
Hi everyone,

I am new to the message boards and seen a lot of great ideas but one thing I am really struggling with is cooking for one especially since I am not an experienced cook to begin with. If I like something I make I will probably get two meals out of it but then the idea of eating the same thing again for a third time in that many days makes me cringe a little and I don't want to keep throwing out leftovers. Anyone have any tips or tricks (modifying recipes, things that freeze well, etc)?

Replies

• sistrsprkl
    sistrsprkl Posts: 1,013 Member
    Options
    I find that pureed veggie soups freeze great as well as sauces. I frequently freeze peanut sauce, pad thai sauce, pesto, and marinara. Then just thaw and add to pasta.
  • aylajane
    aylajane Posts: 979 Member
    Options
    some foodie blogs "specialize" in this. one that comes to mind is chocolatecoveredkatie and her "single lady" cupcakes and all. In fact, "mug cakes" is pretty common (single serving microwavable cakes) and even cookies etc. As for "real" food, try just googling something like "single serving recipe XXX". For example:

http://www.marieclaire.com/celebrity-lifestyle/articles/livingalonerecipes

has a bunch. A little complicated for me, but if you keep looking there might be something better.
  • Swiftlet66
    Swiftlet66 Posts: 729 Member
    Options
    I know what you mean... I cook for myself a lot too. What works for me is cooking 2 main dishes per week, each with 4-6 servings but if I do not finish those servings in a week, I freeze for later in the month or even next month. And they must be different types of dishes; I never make the same thing weekly unless I really really like it. Curries and stews freezes well and goes together nicely with rice or naan bread. There are many types of curries too! Japanese, Vietnamese, Indian, Thai... list goes on and they are fairly easy to make. I supplement cooking with easier to put together sandwiches, wraps and pita pockets with fillings such as hummus, boiled chicken, scrambled eggs, lettuce/spinach, tomatoes, cheese, grilled onion, etc. Once or twice a week, I'd go out and buy pre-made food. I'm Vietnamese so my favorite is fresh pork/shrimp spring rolls or a steamed pork/egg bun (aka banh bao). Snacks are grab and go fruits, nuts, or cheese. Every now and then, I'll have that occasional cereal, oatmeal, or PBJ sandwiches. Breakfast, lunch, dinner; doesn't matter what time, you can eat anything! There's plenty of options; you just gotta get creative and definitely do not eat the same thing!!

This week for me was pan fried salmon and liver as my proteins (liver for the iron content). I also had made a south indian style vegetable curry which was delicious but too complicated to make so I probably won't cook that again. Side vegetables was simmered Japanese radish and cherry tomatoes. For a few days, I was obsessed with eating finger foods for lunch--tortilla, walnuts/cashews, cherry tomatoes, and cheese. Surprisingly, very filling despite them being in small quantities! Breakfast was egg and cheese tortilla wraps with side fruit.

This coming week, I'll be making kimchi jjigae (korean stew) with tofu, beef, and mushrooms as well as my original recipe for sweet potato and carrot coconut curry. Side vegetables are gonna be: sugar snap peas, cherry tomatoes, baby spinach... Also, I will be making butter apples to put in my wraps for breakfast. Yep, plenty of yummy options. Cooking isn't that hard either. Find a simple recipe online and follow it!
  • countscalories
    countscalories Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    I have a cheap, battery-op vacuum sealer thing (Reynolds used to make it, but they discontinued it). You can get a hand-pump version by Ziploc for around $10. in your supermarket. It uses special bags (also from Ziploc), and they come in quart and gallon sizes. There are two of us, but I usually cook recipes meant for 4 or more. I vacuum-pack, label with a Sharpie, and freeze the extra for later on. This way, there's no waste, I don't have to figure out how to cut certain recipes in half, and I never have an excuse for not eating healthy. My freezer has a good variety of stuff I've prepared, so we're never bored with the same old thing.

PS- I do a lot of salt-water fishing. I vacuum seal my fillets as soon as I'm off the boat, and pop them into the freezer. The fish stays perfectly fresh for months!
  • idmalone
    idmalone Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I agree with everyone that freezing stuff helps. Most food will freeze fine, just be sure to let food cool completely before you refrigerate or freeze it. You can find a ton of recipes for one serving, and at the start of my eating plan I actually found the daily cooking helped me to get a bit more confident in the kitchen and getting up to speed with how to make more nutritious food. Maybe have a few stand-by meals in the freezer (in case of a kitchen disaster) and then let yourself learn to cook at your own pace. (I certainly know for myself that I have had an over-reliance on convenience type food, which had a lot to do with my weight gain.). Anything you love you can make extra for freezing. It's great that you are thinking about your food and nutrition, keep it up, :smile:

Here are some links:

http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/collection/meals-one
    http://www.jamieoliver.com/recipes/category/course/meals-for-one
    http://www.eatingwell.com/recipes_menus/recipe_slideshows/healthy_recipes_for_one_serving
    http://greatist.com/health/healthy-single-serving-meals

Don't forget you can reduce the fat content in a lot of recipes by modifying the way you prepare them (grill or bake instead of fry, use non-stick cookware, use a light spray of oil rather than a spoonful), and use herbs for flavour rather than sauces. Have fun and celebrate the inevitable failures, it's all part of the journey to learning how to nourish yourself with the care and attention you deserve.
  • kar328
    kar328 Posts: 4,151 Member
    Options
    bumping for all the great links and ideas.
  • brittneyleighphotography
    Options
    bump
  • wkwebby
    wkwebby Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    Cooking seafood is pretty easy to cook for one person. You can just halve everything or whatnot. This doesn't help the rest of the time though, but I'm a big seafood fan. Thought I'd mention it.:happy:
  • mank32
    mank32 Posts: 1,323 Member
    Options
    :creeps:
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    I cook for myself only while my husband is deployed. Generally what I do is to modify the recipe to only make one serving. I don't like leftovers and I don't like to freeze things. So I figure up how many grams of each ingredient I would need for a full recipe and then divide by however many servings they say it makes to get the amount to use for a single serving. It takes a little extra time at the beginning but then I use the recipes multiple times.
  • sundaemonday
    sundaemonday Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Hmmm- yeah, cooking for one can get boring if you make a big batch of something and you have to eat it for five days-- I hate that! I am freezing food adverse for whatever reason (i heard its awesome, I just can't get it together), so when I cook for myself, my favorite thing to do is to make bowls of the same foods but vary the sauce so I feel like I am getting something new! That way, if I prep a bunch of one ingredient, I can keep it in the fridge and have it in a slightly different configuration the next day. I find that if leftovers don't get jazzed up, I don't eat them. Here is an example of my favorite bowls (I am mostly veg, and terrible at cooking meat so obv. sub protein of choice here):

Day one: make big pot of brown rice (I use rice cooker), have bowl with black beans, rice, avocado, salsa, maybe a little cheese or corn, steamed veggies.

Day two: have bowl with leftover brown rice, leftover black beans, more steamed veggies, but make a simple peanut sauce with pb, soy sauce and rice vinegar (I like chilli sauce too, YUM)

Day three: finish off the brown rice with some tofu (or protein of choice-- salmon would be good!), tahini sauce (just tahini, lemon and water is actually pretty good!-- but jazz up as needed) with the end of the steamed veggies.
  • Lelah77
    Lelah77 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    I have the pickiest family and I usually cook for one, and separately for 4 (ugh!) I agree with PP that stews, etc. freeze well, and I do a bit of soup & casserole prep, but I am usually "fly by the seat of my pants" and find myself in the "mood" for something. This means, I often cook based on what I've got. I buy meats that are individually sealed (we shop at Wegman's but they do this at BJs and other markets, too). I can take out a single chicken breast or whatever and thaw it in the sink in about 15 mins and it is ready to go. I do a lot of cooking this way. I also prep my fresh veggies & fruits so they are ready to use. I have bowls to keep washed berries, etc. in, and I chop up peppers, onions, etc so that I can open the fridge and literally throw the stuff in a stir fry if I want, or it is ready to add to a salad. The possibilities are endless if you do a bit or prior prepping. This saves me time and aggravation when I am reallllly hungry or pressed for time.

Some of my favorite recipes:
    Grilled chicken sandwich on flatbread, with lo fat honey mustard, tomatoes, pickles, lettuce, onion...)
    Roasted red peppers with tuna salad (inside the halved pepper)
    one egg omelette with whatever veg I choose inside
    Grilled Veggie kabobs (squash, onions, mushrooms, tomatoes...or add in a meat like pork or chicken marinated in ital. dressing)
    baked potato filled with veggies (onions, broccoli, mushrooms & a touch of olive oil)
    Quesadillas (for my cheese fix!) A tortilla, some cheese, veggies, & leftover meat into the oven (or in a skillet) until everything melts and the tort gets crispy.

Happy eats!
  • wstrnboots
    Options
    Thanks for the great ideas everyone! I have tried a number of your suggestions and am trying to find something I like that I think will freeze well. I took the tip of cutting the recipes down to make half the number of services and that worked well. The links have all been great too. I am finding I am actually really enjoying cooking and am so proud of myself when something actually tastes good lol!