Massive Calorie Burns!!

Options
13»

Replies

• leggup
    leggup Posts: 2,942 Member
    Options
    My heart rate monitor says I burn 150-250 calories walking 3.0 mph avg 1-1.5 miles in 20-30 mins. For longer walks, I burn 300-450 calories for 3-3.75 miles in 50 mins- 1 hr 15 mins.

Strength training burns almost nothing and cannot be logged with a HRM.

Many people massively overblow their calorie earnings. I don't understand logging cleaning, either. Yeah, you might be tired after and yeah, it's more than being sedentary, but are you getting your heart rate up and keeping it up? Nopeeee.
  • thavoice
    thavoice Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options
    I know everybody says MFP overestimates calories burned, but are people really burning that much?? I'm set at sedentary on MFP and record all exercise throught FitBit. On a really good day I'll burn about 4-450 cals through rowing, walking briskly for about 2 hours and weight lifting. Some friends through who record through MFP are getting between 7-800 calories for going for a walk or cleaning the house! I know people will burn more if they are heavier but I'm no skinny minny at over 200lbs and it amazes me some of these massive burns. Sometimes I feel as though I'm not doing enough or are my counts just more accurate??

How do you record yours?
    \Dont forget the like 1800 calories burned for 3 hours of bowling!
  • hj1119
    hj1119 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    I know everybody says MFP overestimates calories burned, but are people really burning that much?? I'm set at sedentary on MFP and record all exercise throught FitBit. On a really good day I'll burn about 4-450 cals through rowing, walking briskly for about 2 hours and weight lifting. Some friends through who record through MFP are getting between 7-800 calories for going for a walk or cleaning the house! I know people will burn more if they are heavier but I'm no skinny minny at over 200lbs and it amazes me some of these massive burns. Sometimes I feel as though I'm not doing enough or are my counts just more accurate??

How do you record yours?

Whenever I see someone burning 800 calories doing something - ESPECIALLY CLEANING - for an hour, I feel a little sorry for them. I feel like they are only hurting themselves by deluding themselves. I know a few people who will log that kind of calorie burn when they have a binge day to justify it to themselves. At the end of the day, their body knows they didn't actually burn 800 calories cleaning for an hour so why cheat yourself out of knowing what your body actually needs. Knowledge is power and when people log these unrealistic burns that simply did not happen, they are corrupting their data.