desperate need of support.

Options

Replies

• sarahbrown1015
    sarahbrown1015 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I'm 37, 5'5, 200.5 lb's as of this morning. When I started this journey I was 289 lbs. I carried the weight around for over a decade and gained it all in about a year after I lost my brother in 2000. I am absolutely a food addict. Scientist are paid millions of dollars to perfectly layer salt, fat, and sugar in processed foods so that your brain is stimulated in the same way that an alcoholics is when they have a drink. Learning this I finally understood that I had to work hard to change my taste buds. I also had to make a true commitment not to quit. No matter what! Trust me I ate pizzas and cried along the way at times, but I kept my resolve to do better at the next meal and to keep educating myself on what is truly good for me in terms of nutrition and fitness. I read articles, recipes, and blogs on a regular basis. I ask my other friends who are trying to live healthy what they are eating all of the time. I started out not being able to walk hard for 20 minutes and now I can run 3 1/2 miles and lift really heavy weights. You can do it!!! Someone above posted that you should track no matter what: yes!!! I read success stories on MFP on a regular basis to keep me motivated. It takes time and energy and being willing to unlearn bad habits but it is not nearly as hard as walking around hating the way we look. And guess what? Eventually whole real foods taste better than the crap we buy in boxes! I promise!
  • ethompso0105
    ethompso0105 Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    The foods you eat depends on what you like! My breakfast is normally a greek yogurt. However, sometimes I make muffins for my BF's breakfasts--I've adjusted the recipes some so they're a bit healthier. Then I'll have a muffin and a piece of fruit. On the weekend, it's often eggs.

To start with, eat your normal foods, just be conscientious of how MUCH you're consuming. You can do this! :)
  • AshleyLeelette
    AshleyLeelette Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    First, any negative mood or mindset you have right now going into this, throw that out now. What you're doing, is getting healthier. Once you start, you are moving forward instead of just idle.
    Best suggestions, Fill out the stuff here, log in your stuff, weight, goal weight, exercise level and then stick with the calories they give you!
    Try your best to eat better options than normal, and stay within your calories. Even if now and then you would like to splurge or have a cheat, as long as you are logging in everything that goes into your mouth, you will know exactly when you've had enough. It's amazing the power that has to keep yourself on track! Best of luck!
  • Leenda62
    Leenda62 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I tell myself everyday.."I can do this for today" and when I start getting frustrated with how slow it is going and thinking that it will take to long, I remind myself that a day, a week, a year, 10 years, will come and go regardless. And when it does, I may as well be closer to my goals. Good luck and yell out when you need encouragement.
  • sarabeth320
    sarabeth320 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    The first step is deciding to do something about it, so congrats on that! I am a very similar age/size, so I can relate. Start with small goals.. commit to tracking for just one week. Sometimes it will help me if i put the food in before I eat it.. it helps to keep me on track and plan for the day. Download the mobile app if you havent already and scan it all in using the barcode scanner.. so easy!

As a general rule, you want to stick with foods that are filling (high protein and fiber) and limit sugar, carbs, and calories to stay within your suggested ranges (according to MFP). Watch portion size.. sometimes what you think is one serving is not and will screw up your calorie counts (pasta, prepared snacks, chips, poptarts!) Easy snacks - cheese sticks, peanut butter with crackers, veggies with light dip (I like Aldi brand of sour cream and onion dip or Light Ranch). Drink lots of water.

As far as exercise.. this is the hardest part for me, so I can hardly give advice. It's so much easier said than done, right? See if there is something small you can commit to and work your way up. I used Daily Burn (online + app) for a month. The work outs arent bad and it's free to try andif you like it, onlu $10/month. The Jillian Michaeld DVDs are a good work out but they get boring after a couple weeks. My sister is a personal trainer and she reccomends interval training with a mix of cardio and strength. The treadmill is good to get your heart rate up and start to burn calories, but I think us women neglect strength training which is importatnt to help your metabolism and turn the fat to muscle.

I dont know where you live, but if Groupon, or something similar, is available in your area, they always have great deals on fitness classes. It's easier to work out if you are having fun and with a group. I am less likely to flake out or collapse in fatigue if there are others around me. Get a friend to buy one with you and go to the classes together. Zumba if my favorite because it feels like dancing instead of working out.

If none of those of those other things are an option, start with walking and build up to a run/walk circuit.

Good luck :)
  • dawnmcneil10
    dawnmcneil10 Posts: 638 Member
    Options
    I personally require more protein for breakfast to help me stay full. If you like cereal have cereal but go for whole grains with protein and add some fresh fruit. If you like eggs you can make up breakfast sandwiches, casseroles and quiches and package for individual days in case breakfast has to be on the run. Have some greek yogurt (if plain add frozen fruit and let sit overnight in the fridge) with fruit and if you like it add some granola or nuts.

Something that helps me greatly is prepping ahead. I make up veggies ahead of time by cutting them up and making a big veggie tray as the week goes on you can portion out snacks with them.
    For your dip use plain greek yogurt and your favorite flavor, I just mix up a bunch of spices and add frozen spinach usually. When I get down to mostly celery for my veggies I enjoy that with whipped peanut butter.

The key is planning so plan ahead. If you're grilling chicken, grill an extra piece to cut up for salads or to mix with veggies over rice or pasta. Don't be afraid to try new things, there are so many options out there now that are healthy but still give you that feeling of comfort.

For your gym routine keep it simple right now, get familiar with the machines and start with cardio. If they offer classes look into them, if you get a personal trainer option talk to them about using the weights and machines. The biggest thing is to find what you enjoy. You can make anything into exercise really, if the kids are restless take them to a playground and play with them, hide and seek (they hide and you seek) and be sure you lift up the kitchen chairs in your search. Something I've done is have hula hoop challenges with kids, they love that they can beat you and it's a fabulous core workout. Start taking family walks in the evening after dinner and before bath time or bed time rituals.

Once you get started the possibilities are endless.
  • nonnie35750
    nonnie35750 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    The best advice I can give you is to log EVERYTHING, regardless whether you go over or not. Set small goals. I set mine at 10 lb increments. Change the mindset. This is not a diet; it is a lifestyle change. I am 56 yo and I began this journey on January 17, 2013 at 5'3" 215 lbs and have lost 65 pounds.

Don't give up on yourself. If you fall off, it's okay; log it and start again. At the beginning eat what you want; just stay within your calorie goal. As you see the pounds come off you will become motivated to learn how to eat. Be sure to eat at least 1/2 your exercise calories. Example: My caloric goal is 1200/day. If I spend 45 minutes on the elliptical and burn 500 calories, I should eat at least 1450 calories. If find myself exercising so that I can eat what I want. I like to eat, but I want to get the most for my calories.

Move it. Get up and move. Do at least 30 minutes per day. It doesn't have to be at one time; break it up into 10 minute increments. The more you move, the stronger you become and the easier it gets. When I first started I couldn't do more than 10 minutes on the elliptical and forget lifting weights. Now I do at least 30 minutes on the elliptical and 30 minutes strength training every day. Working out has now become a habit. I've actually participated in my 3rd 5K. I've tried running, but have a bum knee (need a replacement). But I can walk it and I feel better than I have in many years.

Good Luck! You can do this!
  • SparrowGal2014
    SparrowGal2014 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Agree!
  • DaughterOfTheMostHighKing
    DaughterOfTheMostHighKing Posts: 1,436 Member
    Options
    do this for you! :) cause you are worth it!

breakfast - depends on your taste. I eat oatmeal. some like it plain. some like it with fruits. I like it with a fried egg, brags liquid aminos, and siracha sauce… lol! I like savory! sometimes I'll do a juice (green juice) or a smoothie…

Lunches - this should be your main meal. protein - eggs, lean meats, … you can have carbs but watch your portion size

dinner - veggies. salads, cooked or raw…

drink lots of water!!!!

hope this helps!
  • PlanetVelma
    PlanetVelma Posts: 1,231 Member
    Options
    Start keeping a regular journal and document how you feel each day of your new lifestyle. Go back to that journal when you're feeling low or just to see how you have been progressing.

Take lots and lots of progress pics.

Make small, realistic changes - as an example increase water consumption, have "meatless Mondays", look on youtube for workouts that you can do @ home when the kids aren't feeling well (or you can't make it to the gym), try a new/different veggie/fruit every week....it's little things like that will make the transition easier and less scary. :)

You've got this!!
  • mjterp
    mjterp Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    Start now.

find your triggers and don't let them in the house. REmember that your kids deserve to learn to eat healthy too, so they don't have this struggle when they grow up.

Bad choices happen, don't let them ruin your whole day.

If you think you will give up a total overhaul, start with one habit at a time, but recognize that this means slower movement on the scale. You didn't GAIN the fat overnight, you won't get rid of it overnight. Slow and healthy is the way to go. (though not necessarily as slowly as I have been going...)

All of the little habits add up to a LOT of loss.

THIS IS NOT ALL OR NOTHING. Though I find it easier if I avoid my "trigger" food all together. (.foods that I can't stop at just one serving...example: I can eat a whole pan of brownies and want more...I can eat the whole box of thin mints...the whole box of girl scout samoas...the whole box of double stuff oreos...I can't stop...NO will power around these foods.) If I have something, it isn't a lost cause I just suck it up and make better choices the rest of the day. (though my weak times are usually at night) Just because you "screw up" once doesn't mean you should give up all together. Start back in again...right away...less to recover from. You know?

again...start NOW this very moment.
  • CrystalFlury
    CrystalFlury Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    I agree with a few others; why tomorrow?

I understand where you're coming from... everyone has to start somewhere. There is no completely right or wrong answer as far as the food goes. I suggest you take the first week of logging just to get a feel for what you actually eat; i.e. log your normal food choices (I suggest you make them at home foods that way you can log accurately). This should give you a good idea as to what you're eating on a daily basis and see just exactly where you're messing up; too many sweets, too much soda, snacking too much, low nutritional value in your choices?

I suggest this only because I know what it's like to have *no idea* what the heck "healthy eating" was when I began here 3 years ago. I knew I had a sweet tooth, but that's about it. I was *very* skeptical about tracking everything I ate and wasn't completely convinced I was going to lose any pounds from fixing my food intake--boy was I wrong!

My suggestions to you; read up on these community forums and find others in the same boat as you, as well as make friends with them and others who have seen success. Ask questions! With that being said, also take what some people post on here (strong opinions) with a grain of salt. Do your research as you go. You'll have good and bad days (everyone does). You'll fall off track, but when you do you just have to shake it off and get back on it.

I'm assuming you joined this community for a lifetime change and not a quick fix! This *is* a lifestyle change and you only get out of it what you put into it.

Best wishes to you. Feel free to add me as a friend on here. My diary is open to friends. I'm definitely not perfect and still working on fixing some bad habits, but I'm sure as heck far from the old me.:smile:

Tomorrow I start MFP...I am scared to death! I am 26 years old, 5'5 and weight 245. I have a wonderful husband and 3 small kids who need their wife/mom back. I have completely consumed myself with food the past few years and there is no hiding it. I will start a diet, quit, eat, be miserably fat, and then start again. This vicious cycle has to stop. This sounds embarrassing to say, but I think I am addicted to food. It affects my mood, etc...and I am tired of it. Physically and Emotionally. My kids deserve better, and I deserve better. Will be looking for tons of support for the months to come- but I wanted to ask...I just joined the gym and plan to go at least 3 times a week. I think the part I am struggling with the most is WHAT to eat and what to steer clear from, like gah, I wish it was easy enough just for something to make me a food agenda, and whatever it says, i eat! I could follow that much easier! What are some good breakfast, lunch, and dinner menu ideas that I could eat to help me stay on track? Also- what workouts should I be doing? I always just find myself on the treadmill...Any tips will help. Am looking to lose about 85lbs (really only focused on the first 50 for now)...Thanks in advance!!
  • He1loKitty
    He1loKitty Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    Log everything. I think I'm on a 70 day streak of logging my food on mfp. It keeps me honest and prevents me from overeating.
  • sofagreen
    sofagreen Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    HI! Welcome to MFP.

All I can say is what has been working for ME so far, and so I'm not about to be telling you what you have to do.

1. Weigh and count everything you will put pass your lips - Including drinks!
    2. Don't assume oh its only a little bit - little bits add up. ( i have nearly fallen off my chair at calories in little bits!)
    3.Walking (for me) is great and will help add some calories that you can feel better and eat a bit more - if you like.
    4. I always look at my daily nutrition reports
    5. I try to stick to my macros especially sugar as it makes me crave more sugar / sweet food
    6. I have fun creating the lowest possible calorie dishes for the most food! (tons of fresh veg)
    7. Use herbs in your food
    8. Drink! (I don't mean alcohol lol ...well I do occasionally)
    9. Take your time - its not a race and if you stall just see what you could change and change it!
    10. Get some great MFP friends to help you on your journey.
    11. Have fun - yes fun - I said it! You about to change your life so enjoy it.

YOU CAN DO IT!
  • sweetcurlz67
    sweetcurlz67 Posts: 1,168 Member
    Options
    why tomorrow?

^^^ This

I've learned that tomorrow NEVER comes... start TODAY!!!! start logging all your food TODAY!!!! the good, the bad, the UGLY! take a few extra steps TODAY!!!! park further away from wherever you're going so you need to take extra steps TODAY!!!! take the longer way to the restroom TODAY!!!! drink lots of water TODAY!!!! lesson your carbonated beverages TODAY!!!! make smaller changes you can live with TODAY!!!!

or tomorrow will NEVER come...

Just stating the truth.
  • Laura100AC
    Laura100AC Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    First of all, congratulations for deciding to start. There is nothing to be scared of, everyone here at MFP is here to support you throughout. I was in a similar situation to you, binge eating, feeling terrible and saying 'i'll carry on with my diet tomorrow.' It may be daunting, but just think how good you will feel when you look at the scale for the first time and you see weight coming off and your clothes becoming baggy. Here are some idea to help you :happy:

Breakfast:
    Porridge
    Wholewheat toast and jam
    Boiled eggs and bacon (unstreaky and grilled!)

Lunch
    Jacket potato and tuna (on gym days)
    Chicken salad - This sounds boring but you can make it so interesting! Season the chicken how you want and add your favourite healthy foods to the salad eg sweetcorn, gherkins etc, with a low fat dressing it can taste amazing, get creative!

Dinner
    Stir fries
    Roast chicken and vegetables
    Homemade soups

I think the best workout to start with is the exercise bike and the elliptical machine. However if you take everything easy to begin with there is nothing you can't do :ohwell: Stick with it and don't put it off another day. For everytime I have said 'i'll give myself a night off and start again tomorrow' I would probably be the size I wished I was right now! :laugh:

Good luck lovely! :flowerforyou:
  • Gigi10025
    Gigi10025 Posts: 1
    Options
    Hi I just started my 1200 calorie diet that my doctor put me on and I've lost 4 pounds in three days. What I've been doing is tracking what I eat and eliminating all bad carbs completely. No more white bread, cereal, white rice, potatoes, bacon, fried stuff, candy, 100 calorie snacks. Yes to greek yogurt, nuts, berries, cooking without oil, whole grain bread, veggies galore, hummus is healthy and declicious. Make sure everything that goes into your body is healthy, otherwise, the weight won't come off as easy. On top of that, commit to doing exercises at least 3 times a week and really push yourself, make sure you get your heart going and you sweat a little or a lot. That's my advice and I hope it helps someone out there :)
  • Anonycatgirl
    Anonycatgirl Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    I don't have much wisdom to impart behind what's already been said other than "good luck and remember a bad day doesn't ruin everything."

But just because no one's said it yet: if you've never eaten breakfast, there's no great cosmic law that says you have to start, or that "breakfast" has to be oatmeal at 6 AM instead of a salad topped with chicken at 10 AM if that's what works for your schedule and your appetite. There are a lot of good reasons people choose to eat breakfast--some people wake up hungry (like me!), some people work out in the morning and need the fuel, and some people find it keeps them from being starving at lunch time and eating everything in sight. But there's no science behind the thought that it helps you lose weight UNLESS it keeps you from being ravenous later and overeating.
  • BondBomb
    BondBomb Posts: 1,781 Member
    Options
    Girl you got this!
  • Rebecca2057
    Rebecca2057 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Don't snack off of your kids plates or "tasting" while cooking. These are calories that need to be logged.

Don't reward yourself with food. For example I would love to say that for every 10 lbs I get to drink a soda. I needed to cut the emotional attachment that food is a reward.

Don't set all your goals related to weight loss.

DO keep cut veggies available at all times! Especially when cooking or feeding the kids. (My weak times.)

DO reward yourself. My rewards are usually clothing related. New tennis shoes, yoga pants, ect... A new book, movie rental, outing would work as well.

DO set goals related to behavior. For example: log all food for 5 days, served a vegetable with dinner every day for a week, walk 3 times this week. All short term to keep you feeling successful. This way even if the weight is not going as fast as you like you are changing behaviors that will work in the long run.

Find someone you can share your successes and struggles with. Someone who will not judge you if you over eat one day.