Lifting during Half Marathon training

Options
2»

Replies

• vinniesooner
    vinniesooner Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I like this...thank you. I've been struggling with the balance...
    I would suggest strength training twice per week and really focus on the basics

Day 1: Squat & Bench Press
    - Box Jumps (10 reps after warm-up & prior to squatting, helps activate your CNS and plyometrics actually have tremendous carryover into speed and acceleration)
    - Chin-ups / Lat Pulldowns
    - Ab work

Day 2: Deadlift / Standing Shoulder Press **If you don't like deadlifting just squat again but lower the weight and shoot for 3 sets of 5-8 reps.
    Box Jumps
    - Chin-ups / Lat Pulldowns
    - Ab work

Edit: Stop strength training 1 to 2 weeks prior to an event.
  • MrsSchimmy
    MrsSchimmy Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    Through school I've had to do some research on training endurance athletes. The research general recommends 2-times per week and then tapering off close to competition date. Really, the whole purpose of this training would be to increase your strength to improve Ground-Force-Contact (GFC) which will make you faster and help you when dealing with inclines, without diminishing your run training. Practicing and training for one's sport is always the most important component.

That makes complete sense. It also explains WHY I run better since I have started lifting. Thank you!

Hello there! I've tapered back my mileage some due to my pregnancy, but now and even while I was doing 30-40 miles a week of running I generally lift 4-5 times (crossfit) a week and run 4 times a week. My only scheduling parameters were: always rest the day before a race/long run day. When lifting, I do total body movements rather than leg day and arm day so that I am universally sore all over, running several miles after a lifting day always helped to loosen things up. Oh, I ALWAYS do abs (planks, sit ups, hollow rocks, and superman) since I found that core stability helped with running tremendously.

Besides scheduling all of this running and lifting, make sure you schedule complete rest days--NO running OR lifting and maybe just light walking or yoga but nothing that really gets your heart rate up too high. You get stronger on the day (or days) that your body is totally recovering more so than on the days you lift. Recovery is SO important, and many people get so caught up in training that they forget to rest. Sleeping sufficiently at night is important for the same reason. Experts say normal people need at least 7-8 hours of sleep each night, but athletes need more.

Good luck!

There is NO WAY I could fit in 4 days of lifting with my running, work, and kids' schedules to factor in. I do have my complete rest day the day before my long runs. I found out about 6 months ago what overtraining can do. So, even though I don't like to have a complete rest day, I take one and keep my mind occupied so I don't go to the gym out of pure habit. As far as sleep, yeah... I'm still working on that one. Unfortunately, I don't get as much as I should but I do what I can. Thank you for your input!
    I like this...thank you. I've been struggling with the balance...

I like not being the only one!
  • Sam_I_Am77
    Sam_I_Am77 Posts: 2,093 Member
    Options
    Hello there! I've tapered back my mileage some due to my pregnancy, but now and even while I was doing 30-40 miles a week of running I generally lift 4-5 times (crossfit) a week and run 4 times a week. My only scheduling parameters were: always rest the day before a race/long run day. When lifting, I do total body movements rather than leg day and arm day so that I am universally sore all over, running several miles after a lifting day always helped to loosen things up. Oh, I ALWAYS do abs (planks, sit ups, hollow rocks, and superman) since I found that core stability helped with running tremendously.

Besides scheduling all of this running and lifting, make sure you schedule complete rest days--NO running OR lifting and maybe just light walking or yoga but nothing that really gets your heart rate up too high. You get stronger on the day (or days) that your body is totally recovering more so than on the days you lift. Recovery is SO important, and many people get so caught up in training that they forget to rest. Sleeping sufficiently at night is important for the same reason. Experts say normal people need at least 7-8 hours of sleep each night, but athletes need more.

Good luck!

You're very fortunate that you're probably in that 5% to 10% of people that can manage a workload like that. That's not the norm, especially not for the average person. How long have you maintained that schedule (prior to pregnancy)?