Walking Vs Jogging

Options
I heard somewhere that walking/jogging or even running all burned the same amount of calories. There is no way..the first time i had an actual jog my whole body was warming to the point I had to take my jacket off in 30 degree weather from being so hot.

Replies

• Duganhorse
    Options
    Jogging burns calories faster but you burn about the same amount per mile. I have heard that doing short spurts of jogging in your walking workout is great for fat burning. It's supposed to boost your ,etabolism.
  • WalkingGirl1985
    WalkingGirl1985 Posts: 2,047 Member
    Options
    Thanks! That does make sense..I was looking at the exercise list on here..walking for me burns like 300..as jogging at 5mph (which is where I am) burns like 600 per hr.
  • kennedar
    kennedar Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    When I am on the treadmill, I always try to get in 5 km per workout. I try to get in 3 bursts of running (6 minutes) with 4 walking breaks (3-5 minutes) but that doesnt always happen. My HRM usually gives me around the same calories - about 400ish - regardless of if I walk the whole time or jog as long as I get to the 5 km mark.
  • stujones2000
    Options
    Walking 1 mile briskly burns around the same calories as jogging 1 mile... but will obviously take you longer.

For best results, put some hills into your walk/run and/or mix jogging and walking... walk for 2 minutes then jog for 1 minute... gradually reverse it until you are able to run constantly without the need to walk.

Jogging will improve your cardio fitness as well as burn fat, which walking won't have as much of an impact on.
  • staceyb_2003
    staceyb_2003 Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    walking just takes a lil longer to burn the same amounts but both are great forms of exercise x
  • Christie23
    Christie23 Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    I have been told that walking is actually better for burning fat and jogging is better for cardio health. It's really all about the zone in which you keep your heart rate. If you have several pounds to lose, it's actually better for you to walk than to jog... when you get close to your target rate, it's better to jog.

I'm no expert, that's just what my trainer told me.
  • kcdrake
    kcdrake Posts: 512
    Options
    My dad has always told me this but I never believed him. I'm starting to get it now, though. haha.
  • oddyogi
    oddyogi Posts: 1,816 Member
    Options
    When you're walking and keeping your heart rate in the 60-65% range (around 130 for me), your body will be in fat-burning mode because it's not having to work that hard, so it has no need to use your glycogen for energy. When your heart rate goes up to 75-even higher (155+ for me), your body will start to use the carbs in your blood for energy instead, because it's easier and conserves oxygen.

To achieve maximum fat burn, you can do High Intensity Interval Training (HIIT). You can do this several ways.. you can start out by walking for 2 minutes, then sprinting quickly (at least 7.0 on the treadmill) for a minute. Walk for 2 minutes or until your heart rate is back down to normal, then sprint again for a minute. Continue this until you can either run for straight 15-20 minutes, or you can replace the walking with jogging. It's very hard, and it will suck very much, but HIIT burns off so much fat, AND works your muscles.

There are other types of HIIT besides walking and running on the treadmill that can produce results faster, but they suck worse. If you're interested, check out the Insanity program. Beware, it kills.
  • DanOhh
    DanOhh Posts: 1,806 Member
    Options
    I'm a runner now but I lost the majority of my weight due to walking.
  • oddyogi
    oddyogi Posts: 1,816 Member
    Options
    I forgot to mention that HIIT is great for cardio too. :-)
  • laddyboy
    laddyboy Posts: 1,565 Member
    Options
    It's all about HR Zone when it come to burning calories. Calories is energy so naturally it take less energy to walk 1 mile than it does to run a mile.

The best fat burning zone is Zone 2 (brisk walking), in this zone 85% of the calories you burn is from fat. In the Anerobic zone you'll burn more calories but less will be from fat. It all comes down to 3500 calories burned is = to 1 lb of fat loss. I hope this makes sense.
  • stujones2000
    Options
    I have been told that walking is actually better for burning fat and jogging is better for cardio health. It's really all about the zone in which you keep your heart rate. If you have several pounds to lose, it's actually better for you to walk than to jog... when you get close to your target rate, it's better to jog.

I'm no expert, that's just what my trainer told me.

Yes, there are 2 zones to train in... fat burning zone ( generally 60-80% of maximum heart rate ) , generally a brisk walk will get you up to the required heart rate.

And Cardio Zone, where you train between 80 and 90% of your maximum heart rate.

Fat burning will make you lose weight but you won't feel as much of the benefits fitness wise. Cardio will help you lose weight but also improve your fitness.

For your maximum heart rate, the simplest way is 222 minus your age.

Here is an article about the different zones to train in and the benefits.

http://www.brianmac.co.uk/hrm1.htm
  • laddyboy
    Options
    I'm a runner now but I lost the majority of my weight due to walking.

There you go.
  • laddyboy
    Options
    There are other types of HIIT besides walking and running on the treadmill that can produce results faster, but they suck worse. If you're interested, check out the Insanity program. Beware, it kills.

Insanity is not HIIT...it's Max Interval Training. No after burn effect. It is hard (I've done it twice) and is great for cardio endurance. I went from running a 9 minute mile to 6 1/2 minute mile. I will also lean you out but it does burn muscle too.
  • JMun
    JMun Posts: 409
    Options
    It's all about HR Zone when it come to burning calories. Calories is energy so naturally it take less energy to walk 1 mile than it does to run a mile.

The best fat burning zone is Zone 2 (brisk walking), in this zone 85% of the calories you burn is from fat. In the Anerobic zone you'll burn more calories but less will be from fat. It all comes down to 3500 calories burned is = to 1 lb of fat loss. I hope this makes sense.

thanks for your responses laddy!
  • laddyboy
    Options

thanks for your responses laddy!

You're welcome.
  • fuzzymel
    fuzzymel Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    A couple of years ago it took me a long time to build my fitness up due to health issues so for a year all I did was walking. I went from 200 down to 160 doing that (and obviously eating properly).

Once the summer comes I will be cutting down some of my gym workouts and doing some long walks because I love the outdoors and don't feel that I take as much in through running.
  • backinthenines
    backinthenines Posts: 1,083 Member
    Options
    For slow runner, e.g. 12-minute miling, the difference in burn is so negligible to walking, that you're probably better better off power walking and saving the impact.
  • MsMonny
    MsMonny Posts: 183
    Options
    :love:

Thanks too! I am just starting to use my BRM and needed to know if my fat burning zone was correct - and it is!! Now I don't feel so bad that I only want to briskly walk and not run......I will get to that when I lose my weight!
  • KimbersNewLife
    KimbersNewLife Posts: 645 Member
    Options
    When I am on the treadmill, I always try to get in 5 km per workout. I try to get in 3 bursts of running (6 minutes) with 4 walking breaks (3-5 minutes) but that doesnt always happen. My HRM usually gives me around the same calories - about 400ish - regardless of if I walk the whole time or jog as long as I get to the 5 km mark.

Thanks for reminding me to "cycle" 3 run 3 walk on an off I did that for a while and I had forgotten all about it!! Thanks going to do that tomorrow when I walk/run at work! :)